Dual Batteries?

While it's at the dealer have them install an onboard battery charger too. During the season we use the boat enough to keep the batteries charged up. In the off season we just plug the charger in to keep both batteries charged and maintained without having to remove them from the boat.

Too late, took delivery today so we could be on the water this weekend, lol...

I'll look into self installing something like this:

seems like an affordable/smart solution. Since i'm in storage away from home, i won't have much control to charge things anyway. I'll have to ask the dealer what they do from a battery standpoint. guessing they just winterize, disconnect battery, and shrink wrap it

Another opportunity for me to sell the Blue Sea SI-ACR for anyone with two batteries.

It's either on or off - no having to think about which battery to start with, which needs a charge etc. etc. Both your crank and house charge while running, unless crank voltage is below a set threshold and the relay charges the crank first, then combines. Also isolates when starting so your house devices don't lose voltage (sag) while you turn over your starter. Also isolates your crank battery from the house batt while hanging at the sandbar so you can get home.

Frankly this should be the standard for all 2 battery set ups.

I've linked this video before as this does an excellent job of describing the benefits and how it actually works.

lol, i didn't see your post and put a link to an install of the same system i believe!

at least i'm not off my rocker! (or we both are...) ;)

Another opportunity for me to sell the Blue Sea SI-ACR for anyone with two batteries.

It's either on or off - no having to think about which battery to start with, which needs a charge etc. etc. Both your crank and house charge while running, unless crank voltage is below a set threshold and the relay charges the crank first, then combines. Also isolates when starting so your house devices don't lose voltage (sag) while you turn over your starter. Also isolates your crank battery from the house batt while hanging at the sandbar so you can get home.

Frankly this should be the standard for all 2 battery set ups.

I've linked this video before as this does an excellent job of describing the benefits and how it actually works.

I'll tell ya what... rent a boat in FL and take it offshore (pontoon or not)... or on the great lakes "offshore"

if you don't start to get the tinglies within 5 minutes of losing site of the shoreline, and double/triple checking the VHF, flares, backup systems... back ups to back ups... we're on different wavelengths... that was the thing that taught me why all the safety talk in the boating courses...

of course, i boat in a lake where the worst case scenario is a half mile swim to shore... and you can probably stand and walk half of it, lol. but it seems so easy and trivial for the cost of some of these safety things that it blows me away they aren't included....

Yep agreed - getting stranded on the side of the road in a car is wholly different than out in a large body of water where weather can change in an instant. If the technology is cheap then it becomes a no-brainer, and even if moderately expensive there are still strong arguments once you start adding up the value of inconvenience or even loss of life.

Probably overkill, but I have perko switch with 4 batteries all maintained by a battery tender which is plugged in when we return to the dock. Dead batteries are a pain, as well as carrying a jump pak. Not an issue for me.

Probably overkill, but I have perko switch with 4 batteries all maintained by a battery tender which is plugged in when we return to the dock. Dead batteries are a pain, as well as carrying a jump pak. Not an issue for me.
I like this kind of overkill. I want it!!! :cool:

First things first...

I'm operating on a series of small lakes that are 90% no wake... so mostly booze cruise type of use. Lots of anchoring/swimming, some tubing.

Since I'll be doing a good bit of anchoring and swimming with the radio and accessory use, should I think about a second battery? I'm used to boats on the Gulf in FL that almost always have 2 batteries and a switch to disconnect, etc. Is that total overkill? Am I paranoid? If not, any recommendations on equipment to install and set up a second battery?

thanks,
-j
I highly recommend two batteries and a dual shut off switch. When anchored I turn the switch to one battery. When moving I turn the switch to both batteries for charging

I would like to install a Noco 2 bank Genius battery maintainer to my 2022 LXSB that already has a 2 battery factory setup. Can I just run the wires from the maintainer to the individual batteries or would there be better way? I can work well with mechanical issues but I admit I am electrically challenged.
Thanks for any available help.

I would like to install a Noco 2 bank Genius battery maintainer to my 2022 LXSB that already has a 2 battery factory setup. Can I just run the wires from the maintainer to the individual batteries or would there be better way? I can work well with mechanical issues but I admit I am electrically challenged.
I assume you have a battery switch that allows you to turn off the battery power ? Do so. Then connect one set of cables to one battery and the second set to the other battery. Red to positive, then black to negative. Plug the Noco in and it will come on in the startup mode waiting on you to select the battery types you have each bank connected to. Just push the mode button for each bank until your battery type is selected. After you do it the first time, it remembers what it was and comes up in that mode automatically from then on. I have a Noco 2x2 on mine every single day. It is easy to use and does a great job. Resist the temptation to buy a higher current model like a 2x10. The lower the current, the easier it is on your batteries while still doing the job. More current is more heat, and heat is the death of batteries.

Last edited:
I ran the wires direct from my Noco2 direct to the batteries. I also mounted it vertically, using a cutting board which was easy to cut and bolt to the aluminum framing (just the two flat head hex bolts at the top that you can see), keeping it off the floor / from getting wet. I opted to NOT have the through wall connector and just use the plug. The white cord and strap / strap slot are used when I tow to secure this cushion (boat / truck too full of stuff to put it anywhere).

Attachments

• 2021-09-06 09.03.53.jpg
    2021-09-06 09.03.53.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2021-07-09 10.32.02.jpg
    2021-07-09 10.32.02.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Seat Strap SB Cushion saftey Line.jpg
    Seat Strap SB Cushion saftey Line.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 32
I assume you have a battery switch that allows you to turn off the battery power ? Do so. Then connect one set of cables to one battery and the second set to the other battery. Red to positive, then black to negative. Plug the Noco in and it will come on in the startup mode waiting on you to select the battery types you have each bank connected to. Just push the mode button for each bank until your battery type is selected. After you do it the first time, it remembers what it was and comes up in that mode automatically from then on. I have a Noco 2x2 on mine every single day. It is easy to use and does a great job. Resist the temptation to buy a higher current model like a 2x10. The lower the current, the easier it is on your batteries while still doing the job. More current is more heat, and heat is the death of batteries.
BigD - from my RV research and battery rigging - I concluded that occasional high voltage charging (aka boiling / reconditioning) the batteries actually extends the life, removing build up on the plates (my RV batteries are going on 7 years). I also believe that the 2x10 and 2x2 Nocco charges delivered the same or similar charge rates in the maintenance mode. Now - I am far from being any type of a pro, but put a LOT of time into this topic on my RV batteries and assumed the same for the boat. Certainly not claiming to be right, but offering a different view based on experience and research. I attached one of the main documents that lead me down the rabbit hole of diving into this topic back in 2014. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Charging Issues and Fixing Battery Life.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
BigD - from my RV research and battery rigging - I concluded that occasional high voltage charging (aka boiling / reconditioning) the batteries actually extends the life, removing build up on the plates (my RV batteries are going on 7 years). I also believe that the 2x10 and 2x2 Nocco charges delivered the same or similar charge rates in the maintenance mode. Now - I am far from being any type of a pro, but put a LOT of time into this topic on my RV batteries and assumed the same for the boat. Certainly not claiming to be right, but offering a different view based on experience and research. I attached one of the main documents that lead me down the rabbit hole of diving into this topic back in 2014. Hope this is helpful.
In time, they likely do deliver the same charge rates, but at first, if it's down, the 10 amp is going to hit it harder. Not a big deal I wouldn't imagine, but 10 amps just isn't necessary. I don't claim to be an expert either, but I'm just giving my opinion with 40 years of electronics and an electrical engineering background as my excuse. LOL

BTW...all the Nocos take care of desulfation.

Last edited:
While it's at the dealer have them install an onboard battery charger too. During the season we use the boat enough to keep the batteries charged up. In the off season we just plug the charger in to keep both batteries charged and maintained without having to remove them from the boat.
I’m wanting to do the same thing to my 2021 SX. Could you send a picture of where they put the plug or how it was done. Are you using a trickle charge ? The cranking battery is the only one that I keep in the pontoon. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.

Last edited:
I’m wanting to do the same thing to my 2021 SX. Could you send a picture of where they put the plug or how it was done. Are you using a trickle charge ? The cranking battery is the only one that I keep in the pontoon. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.
Screenshot_20230116-075148.png
Here is the location of the plug at the rear..... Sending you a PM ...

Back