Dual Battery Setup/Battery Switches??

Kjohn20

Reaction score
Hi all! About to order my first Bennignton, first boat really. Been researching for the last few months and decided on a 22 SSRX. We are about to pull the trigger and order one and I thought I had searched all the options but of course I overlooked one, the battery. I'm am far, far over budget as expected but this one last thing could be pretty important. What are your thoughts on the Dual Battery vs Single Battery and the Battery Switch/Master Power Switch option. I don't anticipate extreme use of anything that could drain batteries quicker than normal but sure don't want to be dead in the water if we left something on, so a dual battery setup seems like a good idea in any case, but maybe I am overthinking this. Also, as I cant find any pics of this, I am guessing the master power switch over the battery switch is more of a convenience so you don't have to get in to the compartments, or is there more to it? Just looking for a good setup with out forgetting something I might regret later, hoping to place order this week. Any other "don't forget this" would be helpful as well! Thanks!

2021 Bennington 22 SSRX, Yamaha 150, Cupholders, In floor Storage, Extended Deck, Graph, HD Rub Rail, SS Dock Lights, Ski Bar, SPS, Popup cleats, Bolster Highback Chair

Battery switch will be near the battery itself, and allows you to completely cut the electrical from the entire boat, including the engine.

Dual battery works the same, just wires in a second battery that allows you to switch back and forth.

Master Power is located on the helm, and cuts off all power to the other helm accessory switches, but still allows power from the battery to the engine.

Get the dual batteries ,you can listen to your stereo on one while sitting out at a sand bar and switch over to the second if you dont have enough power left to start up .
I switch both of mine off at the end of the day

Thanks, I think the only drawback of the dual battery for me is with the quad bench setup apparently one battery goes on each side. Between two batteries and the bilge pump it takes up, or at least limits 3 of the 4 under seat storage compartments.

As far as storage goes, I can understand your concern about it taking up space under the seats. However, the in floor storage is huge. I put all of my fenders down there and still have room for other stuff. The cost to add the dual battery is not that expensive for what you get... peace of mind!

Too me, this is an important option to add onto a Pontoon boat. It allows for more boating flexibility with greater peace of mind.

Personally, if not for our dual battery set up, I would have ran into a problem 1-2 times this past summer as I tried to figure out a slight draw on one of my batteries. Ended up being my Sea Legs, but if I only had 1 battery, I would have been stuck at the dock with people ready to go once this past summer. First time in 4 years I am aware of any issues, but that is largely because I have always had 2 batteries to fall back upon.

Thanks, I think the only drawback of the dual battery for me is with the quad bench setup apparently one battery goes on each side. Between two batteries and the bilge pump it takes up, or at least limits 3 of the 4 under seat storage compartments.
I have a 2019 SRXP (Quad Bench), I have the dual battery set up. Both are located in the stern on the starboard side. There is a switch to select A/B or both. Very limited loss of storage.

I have a 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha 150 dual batteries, 1 on each side of boat at stern with selector switch located on stern side. I have electrically assisted power steering which I love. its expensive but is wonderful. Very important to have the two batteries for peace of mind and in case you run stereo a lot or add the assisted steering. Also have a factory GPS dash speedometer next to tach I like. I have the Garmin dash fish finder to see depth, but I added a Faria 2" depth gauge in helm just above stereo head unit for a secondary depth source as I like backup devices. I have movable bow seat and center toon storage. Going to add front bimini and its perfect! not a fan of baking in sun

Probably should go for the power steering, but yes it’s pricey. I’ve noticed many of the boats at dealerships don’t have the power steering on the 150s, so I’m hoping maybe it’s needed more on the higher HP motors.

We went 12 yrs. with a 1 battery set up. That's why we carried a jump pack. Now we have dual batteries with a built in charger.

Probably should go for the power steering, but yes it’s pricey. I’ve noticed many of the boats at dealerships don’t have the power steering on the 150s, so I’m hoping maybe it’s needed more on the higher HP motors.
If you don't plan on doing a lot of carving curves pulling kids on toys you will be happy with Seastar hydraulic steering. My last Benny was a 2013 22 SLX express tube 3/4 center tube with a Yamaha 115 and cable steering (that self turns to starboard if you let go of wheel at speed) and I was a happy camper with it.......until I test drove the 2017 SPS with power assist steering. Its like you test drive a new Chevy and think it drives great....... Then you drive a new Cadillac or Lincoln or Mercedes and are immediately spoiled. A few members have added power assist steering to existing Bennys so it can be done later if you want to upgrade boat to give it a new feel later on and have a big crop on the money tree in yard. Getting 2 batteries is good insurance in reliable days on water and wise for future accessories. :cool:

I have 2019 with a 175 Yamaha with Seastar hydraulic steering. Did not opt for the Power Steering. We don't water ski or tube so for just cruising, perfect. But, I have been told that for those that use the sporting function of the boat well worth the $$.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of carving curves pulling kids on toys you will be happy with Seastar hydraulic steering. My last Benny was a 2013 22 SLX express tube 3/4 center tube with a Yamaha 115 and cable steering (that self turns to starboard if you let go of wheel at speed) and I was a happy camper with it.......until I test drove the 2017 SPS with power assist steering. Its like you test drive a new Chevy and think it drives great....... Then you drive a new Cadillac or Lincoln or Mercedes and are immediately spoiled. A few members have added power assist steering to existing Bennys so it can be done later if you want to upgrade boat to give it a new feel later on and have a big crop on the money tree in yard. Getting 2 batteries is good insurance in reliable days on water and wise for future accessories. :cool:

We will be doing some tubing so Ill need to think about that. I have some time for changes before they start the build, but good to know power steering can be added later if needed. As my wife keeps saying, "We have to stop somewhere"...maybe that money tree will yield...

For 12 yrs. we had an I/0 with built in power steering. With our first outboard a Mercury fourstroke 150 we have Seastar hydraulic steering and we have no problem skiing, wakeboarding, or doing high speed turns. It's not power steering but we don't have any problems turning that wheel.

I have 2019 with a 175 Yamaha with Seastar hydraulic steering. Did not opt for the Power Steering. We don't water ski or tube so for just cruising, perfect. But, I have been told that for those that use the sporting function of the boat well worth the $$.
It would be nice if I knew the set up in my own boat! I went to check yesterday, and the batteries are arranged with one on each side of the stern, not next to each other as I thought. This being said, a small loss of storage for a big piece of mind.

We went 12 yrs. with a 1 battery set up. That's why we carried a jump pack. Now we have dual batteries with a built in charger.
I ordered a Benny that will have a dual battery set-up and wanted a way to charge battery #2 while I am using battery #1 for running the motor. What brand of built in charger did you use?

I ordered a Benny that will have a dual battery set-up and wanted a way to charge battery #2 while I am using battery #1 for running the motor. What brand of built in charger did you use?
Hey Diamond Dave.....The charger that came built in to our boat is a ProMariner Pro Sport marine battery charger. I only use it in the off season to keep them charged up. Your boat should come with a battery switch that has Battery 1, Battery 2, Both, and Off. Alot of the members use their batteries differently. Some will use one battery one day then the other battery the next time they go out. If you run one down you can use the other to get you home. Some will use both batteries. Whichever one you are using for the day will get charged. So if you are using both they will BOTH get charged.

Thanks BigKahuna. I appreciate the knowledge transfer.

Back