Electric Bemini top

MattinGaston

Reaction score
My 2917 Bennington has an electric top which we love. However, when in the down position, it rest on the rear lounge seats, with only option to lift u with short ( 12 inch) mount.
Does anyone have an electric top with a higher mounting rod in the down position?

My 2917 Bennington has an electric top which we love. However, when in the down position, it rest on the rear lounge seats, with only option to lift u with short ( 12 inch) mount.
Does anyone have an electric top with a higher mounting rod in the down position?

The electric bimini is designed to be put up, while not being unfurled inside its cover, as its “radar’ position. Just keep the bimini cover on the bimini when raising it. Electrically raise it to the highest position it will go before the arms want to pull the bimini open (which it wont be able to do since the bimini cover is still on it). If you go too far, the circuit breaker at the switch will shut it off anyway.

Pro Tip: The circuit breaker usually wants to pop off a few times when doing this procedure anyway. Combo of light weight actuators/motor, stress, and energy requirement. I press the electric bimini button in short bursts with breaks in between to raise it up to save on the circuit breaker popping and waiting out the 10-15 second reset time.

FYI, we have a 2017 with electric bimini, so it is the exact same system.

See pics below for how it will look when in the raised position I am describing:

BE2E010D-6DAF-4F9D-B9EB-197C6F26B8E1.jpegD975C5A3-A0BF-47BE-9A33-65FD5A96FD9C.jpeg8197D463-96DE-4A41-AA4A-E7B556BD9842.jpeg7B75AF3E-5BE0-4483-BA27-E18B9D4D1CD0.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not at all a fan of the electric bimini. The main reason is somewhat related to what the OP is referring to. I just hate how it suddenly crashes down on everything (and everybody) when being lowered. Then it's much more difficult to cover than the conventional bimini. Adding 29" to 30" arms (like the standard bimini has) would solve both problems and if I hadn't sold the boat I would have done just that.

The electric bimini is designed to be put up, while not being unfurled inside its cover, as its “radar’ position. Just keep the bimini cover on the bimini when raising it. Electrically raise it to the highest position it will go before the arms want to pull the bimini open (which it wont be able to do since the bimini cover is still on it). If you go too far, the circuit breaker at the switch will shut it off anyway.

Pro Tip: The circuit breaker usually wants to pop off a few times when doing this procedure anyway. Combo of light weight actuators/motor, stress, and energy requirement. I press the electric bimini button in short bursts with breaks in between to raise it up to save on the circuit breaker popping and waiting out the 10-15 second reset time.

FYI, we have a 2017 with electric bimini, so it is the exact same system.

See pics below for how it will look when in the raised position I am describing:

View attachment 28126View attachment 28127View attachment 28128View attachment 28129
Thanks. This is very helpful. Hope you are enjoying your Benny as much as we are!!

Thanks. This is very helpful. Hope you are enjoying your Benny as much as we are!!

You know it!!! :cool:

@ Nautical, And I get the electric bimini is not for everyone. I agree a long support arm option would be nice if for no other reason, just stronger support when in radar position under high speed. However, I absolutely think the electric in radar position is hands down a sharper looking set up (more sleak) because I’d doesn’t have those support arms.

Anyway, for us, the electric bimini is a great fit. I prefer the push button ease of use, and likely would never go with a normal bimini again. Now a sport arch on the other hand? Yeah. I’d like to move up to one of them. ;)

Back