Electric bimini

Boating Bob

Reaction score
New to the Bennington family - looking to order a new 2020 and adding the electric Bimini to the order. Any experiences good or bad with the electric option ? Also how far does the Bimini go down - does it go all the way down and lay flat or does it stick up in the air somewhat ?
Thanks

My 2 cents: We Love It!!! If you will be putting you bimini up and down a lot (or physically dont/cant mess with a traditional one) it is great. Push a button and deploys and retracts easily.

Answering Your Question: It does go down all the way flat. :)

In the “radar” position, it is only about 1’ higher than flat down on a slight angle. Otherwise, it extends and retracts completely in both directions: up and down.

Pros: Push button bimini use: P.u.s.h. B.u.t.t.o.n. :D In a pinch (low bridge, or low canopy or boat house roof) you can lower it easily and quickly. I think it looks a lot better when deployed than normal Bimini (cleaner look with support arms). Overall just really like it better.

Cons: Seems a little less secured when deployed than traditional bimini. Radar position is not as high, so when lying flat, or in radar position, it blocks rear access. Some reports of the actuator‘s sometimes failing over time or when misused.

We didn’t worry about that the last con though with the 10 year warranty. I figure if my first out of pocket repair is after 10 years use, I’m good on that.

You will find mixed opinions on this item. Do a search in these forums to see past members thoughts and opinions for and against them as well. Good luck in making your final decisions, and an early congratulations on your future boat purchase.

Thanks for your 2 cents - it is much appreciated ! Every inch of height of the Bimini is important to us as each time out on the boat we have to go under a very low bridge .... to the point that if we have an extreme amount of rain and the water level is high the boat might not fit under the bridge. It sounds like the benefit of the power Bimini will out weigh the inch or so in extra height

I don't like it and won't have it on the next boat. The main thing I don't like about it is how it comes down. Only the front support is powered, the rest of it follows. When you're putting it down to put the Bimini cover on, the rear sections do not come down smoothly like the front one. It reaches a spot then suddenly and violently the rear two sections fall and crash down. Make sure nobody is in that part of the boat because it's not light and it can hurt somebody. Since you won't have those 30 inch arms in the rear, holding everything in the prerfect place for the "radar" position, putting the Bimini cover on becomes a real pain. You have to lower it all the way down first (again, it doesn't come down smooth, it crashes down) put the cover on, then raise it back up. The only other option would be to have someone stand there holding the two following bar sections and the material up for you, all bunched up the right way so you can zip up the cover. I found it much more difficult to put the cover on no matter what I tried and I ended up ripping the zipper because of the strain it puts on it because it's all bunched up the wrong way as you lift it back up. If they would have left the 30 inch rear supports there, it would be better but they didn't because then when you want to dip it down quick to duck under a bridge, you'd have extra steps which would nearly defeat the purpose of having it in the first place so I get it. I get it but I don't want it!

The only thing it's good for, in my opinion, is if you are they type of person who leaves their Bimini up all of the time, then on every trip out you need to duck under a bridge. If you don't have to do that every time then I don't see much of a benefit except as a gee whiz gadget (and more to break later). I suggest seeing if you can find one to try out in person before you decide. Spartan seems to love his so it's obviously personal taste and usage.

Back