Electric trolling motor

ronfl

Reaction score
I have a 2275 RL and am thinking about adding a trolling motor to make it a little easier to fish from. Anyone have an electric trolling motor on there toon? Looking for some advise on what to get? How big of a unit should I be looking for and length of shaft should I be looking for?

I have the Minn Kota Terraova 80 lb thrust in my 2010 22SFI. It is wired for 24 volts. We have the quick detachable mount in the center of the front gate. One battery is in the front starboard livewell compartment. Second battery is under the console. I installed a Pro Charging Maintainer and connected the 3 bank maintainer to all 3 batteries. Shaft length is 60" with electric steer.

The dealer installed the Marinco plugs and receptacles. We like to night fish, once we reach our fishing spot, I unplug the trolling motor and use the female plug to power a green fishing light.

I have never tried to clock the boat with a gps so I am not sure of the speed. The trolling motor moves the boat well, with 80 lbs of thrust, at least that is what Min Kota says.

I have the Minn Kota Terraova 80 lb thrust in my 2010 22SFI. It is wired for 24 volts. We have the quick detachable mount in the center of the front gate. One battery is in the front starboard livewell compartment. Second battery is under the console. I installed a Pro Charging Maintainer and connected the 3 bank maintainer to all 3 batteries. Shaft length is 60" with electric steer.

The dealer installed the Marinco plugs and receptacles. We like to night fish, once we reach our fishing spot, I unplug the trolling motor and use the female plug to power a green fishing light.

we have a Minn Kota 54 thrust Pontoon Model trolling motor on a 22 foot toon. It will max out at 2 mph on calm water. It is a 12 volt model. We can fish for 6 hrs on a charge. As an emergency motor it could work. Just hope you are not too far away from help.

I have the MinnKota 80 Terrova with iPilot mounted on my 2275 FSI. Plenty of get up and go plus with the iPilot on cruise or autopilot, can sit back, relax and just make minor course adjustments when needed. I took off the foot pedal and have it stored in the locker as a backup if needed, but then it may go on the shelf at home with the remote control working so well. I can drive from the back seat just like....opps, not going there!!! I would certainly do the MinnKota Terrova iPilot 80 lbs thrust again.

I have a 2275 RL and am thinking about adding a trolling motor to make it a little easier to fish from. Anyone have an electric trolling motor on there toon? Looking for some advise on what to get? How big of a unit should I be looking for and length of shaft should I be looking for?
I have a 20 ft sl and do a lot of night fishing. What I did and it seems to be the only thing that works well , 82 lb.Thrust 24 volt long shift Guide . Salt water. I used the mount that came with it that had to be modified to fit the space in front the wall on the deck . You will not be able to to use the tilt on the mount but that is not problem. I just use the bracket part of the mount where you adjust the def of the shift. When not in use I just lift it straight up so it out of the water and lock it in place. The most important thing to remember if you leave your boat in the water charging the batteries up will raise hell on your Zinc Tabs and pontoons. Since I do have my boat in a slip and built a very nice cart where everything is enclosed and mounted my plug in in the cart also great for running Shrimp Lights . The Cart will roll right in the front door. So when charging I just roll it off the boat. So I have built into the cart, two 12 volt deep cell batteries that are in battery boxes and the 3 bank charging unit we built a box out of 3/8 plastic all boxes are black but for the lid on the charging box that is clear so you can see the all the indicator lights . All the wire are concealed by using tie downs and run along the Alum. frame of the cart. If you are interested I can send you photos if you think this will work for you. dougconforti@yahoo.com

When the dealer mounted my troll motor to my boat they used a thick metal bracket made for troll motors that bolted on the deck. I bent that plate back so far the first time I used it it would not work. You really need to use a 82 lb thrust or bigger to handle the boat . My set up works great and moves the boat very well.

I have the MinnKota 80 Terrova with iPilot mounted on my 2275 FSI. Plenty of get up and go plus with the iPilot on cruise or autopilot, can sit back, relax and just make minor course adjustments when needed. I took off the foot pedal and have it stored in the locker as a backup if needed, but then it may go on the shelf at home with the remote control working so well. I can drive from the back seat just like....opps, not going there!!! I would certainly do the MinnKota Terrova iPilot 80 lbs thrust again.

Dan,

I just ordered the exact same trolling motor. I also have a 2275 FSI , do you have any helpful tips on how and where to mount it?

Is there anything else that I need to get for the installation? Do you have any pictures of your install?

Borg,

My trolling motor is mounted on the right side close to the trolling motor plug in mounted on the inboard side of the stbd corner box. With this setup, the gate opens over the top of the trolling motor when in the stored position. When the trailer was ordered, it was set up to put the ladder on the port side with the winch handle mounted on the opposite side. With the way the gate opens, coming up the trailer onto the toon means I'm not stepping over cables, trolling motor, etc. Safety was a consideration by the dealer when he installed the trolling motor.

The trolling motor had to be a 60" model so it would run deep enough to avoid cavitation and easily deploys and retracts. I ran an adapter cable from the ducer to a HDS-7 mounted on the stbd corner box. Really a neat combination along with structure scan and HDS-5 mounted in the dash.

One item to consider if nothing is installed (trolling motor 24 volt plug) should you have a trailer already is getting on and off and not having to step on or over trolling motor cables. If you have the standard trailer, you might need to consider a port mount to free up access from the ladder to the toon. Or swapping the ladder over to the right side. I think my Wesco can be unbolted and moved if I ever wanted to do that.

Another consideration is to get the detachable mount for mounting the trolling motor onto the pontoon. When the playpen cover is installed, I have to detach the trolling motor and slide it back out of the way so I can snap down the two snaps in front of the gate. Since I only use the cover for storage at home, having to move the trolling motor is quick and easy. The dealer mounted the trolling motor in-line for-to-aft with just enough clearance to clear the stbd fishng seat. I have to rotate the trolling motor head under the seat when I lower it.

I haven't taken any pictures yet and will try to get some the next time we get out (weather permitting of course). After 5 days with no electricity here in VA, and storms in the area for the past few days, we may not make it to the lake again this weekend.

Sure do love the toon and especially the excellent TB Customer Support.

Dan

The most important thing to remember if you leave your boat in the water charging the batteries up will raise hell on your Zinc Tabs and pontoons..
Why is that ??????

If your battery is in no way connected to the boat metal itself, this should not happen ..... Now if you have the "boat" grounded through the aluminum frame, I agree.

I think the batteries are direct ground to the motor and fuse block.

Back