Engine options for new boat

slyguy

Reaction score
We are going to order a 2575 QCW I/O.  We are deciding between the 300hp Volvo duo prop and the 380hp Volvo duo prop.  Anyone have any stats on either of these engines.  I think I read somewhere here top speed is 42-44mph.  I was hoping for more.  But how much top speed will I get with 80 additional ponies with the 380hp?  If you have this engine I would love to hear from you.  

WDYT?

I have a 2575 QCW with the Yamaha F250 and my top speed is 42 mph so I would think you could do a little more with either of the two options you mentioned.  Enjoy the new boat and be sure to post pics when you get it.

Jack

yes, but I that's what I heard from folks on this site.  I've never heard of anyone with a 380 (though its offered), 430hp merc from what I hear gets @ 52-55, but that's a lot of money for @ 10 mph.  Even the 380 is a nice chunk of change, but I was hoping 380 = @50mph top end.  Just don't know how realistic this is.  Its a heavy boat with the I/O, 4032lbs + engine weight.  

What you are fighting with the top speed is the drag created by the C/G of the I/O.  You will never get the toons out of the water like you will with a big I/O.  There is a performance test with CCAN's pontoon.  Probable 40% of his toons are out of the water.  With our I/O about 90% of the toons are in the water.  The horsepower need to overcome the drag is sequentially much greater than the speed increase.  If you want the fastest toon on the water the I/O is not the way to go. 

Agree with Remediation

I understand all that.  I'm not looking for the fastest pontoon boat; just curious for any real life testing on the 2575 QCW I/O with a 380hp engine.  

So no one has either the VP 380 or the Merc 380?  

On a report dated 08/1/2011, Benningtons internal testing shows the Volvo 380hp with DP-s and a 2.14 gear ratio with the SS FH-4 propset shows 44.5 mph. The Merc 380, Bravo 1, Revolution 4 21 pitch shows was not tested but estimated at 54 mph @4800 rpm with 14.7% prop slip.

Hope this helps.

BigBlock, where did you get this info?  

Those numbers don't seem right.  I would think they'd be close.  I believe the new Volvo, is a 6.0L, not the old 8.1L (since 2012).  270lbs lighter then the Merc.  Maybe I'll reach out to Bennington to see if they have any updated testing info.   I know people love one or the other.  

The info was from Bennington through my dealer. Take it for what it's worth.

Back