Engine Size & Blackout Package & Other Newbie Questions

Thank you "lakeliving".  We've been out and compared a two toon 24ft Yamaha 115 with a tri toon 24ft Yamaha150.  There is a huge difference there.  Just wondering how much difference there would be between the 24ft tri toon with a 200.  Once we had the demo, it was a definite to go with a tri toon.

CapKaz, thank you for the information on the ski locker option.  Would it be safe to put other things besides ski's in the locker.  I was thinking about placing a small grill in there or is moisture a really big issue?  I saw where the storage is outfitted with a bilge pump. 

Moisture is a concern in the intube storage.  you also can not run with docking lights on.  You can but the Water Patrol might stop you.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we were looking at boats at our dealer, we were considering the black out, but after we saw some of them and the how easily it scratched just being in the showroom, we moved away from that and went with the normal rails.  We also didn't add the in floor storage because we don't plan on doing a lot of tubing or skiing and the thought of moisture sitting in there all the time might grow some things that we don't want.

The boat we have on order that SHOULD be coming either this week or next, we have a 150 and at the last possible second added the SPS package.  No lights, as others have said, cheaper to add them yourself if you want to later on.  Didn't upgrade the speakers/stereo either, might be an upgrade later on though depending on how it sounds and we have a car SiriusXM kit that we have on our current boat that we will transfer to the new since Sirius wasn't an option.  

Options and pretty much to everyone's preference and what they like, the motor though as people here have said, will be way more expensive to do later.  150 was all we could afford, but we are happy we went with it.  Now just need to get in at the dealers!  

hma95 - Thank you for your response.  You definitely bring up great considerations.  The blackout package looks great.  I thought the anodized was very resistant to scratching.  As anal as I am, scratches on that black would be a big issue.  I would guess you could hit the scratches with a Sharpie...  Anyone out there have the blackout package and opinions/regrets?

Another general question, when running at night, are you not allowed to have lights on the front besides the navigation lights at the stern and bow?  I naively thought that was the purpose of them. 

Hello azray007, Welcome to the madness (I mean club) and congrats! We are new to pontoons as well. I had a 24' Maxum when my wife and I met. We sold it shortly after being married. I had always wanted another boat but we never got around to it. Our neighbors took us out on their older 24' typical two toon 90 hp and the wife loved the idea of having all the room for the kiddos to walk around as well as the smooth ride. Although I liked being on the lake I was not so quick to jump on the bandwagon of the 24 mph barge. I decide to see if we could find a happy medium and started looking into deck boats when I stumbled onto a pic of a tri-toon skimming across the water and pulling a tuber at what looked like a nice fast speed. My interest was peaked and we started our search looking at all the brands until one day we walked into the Bennington dealer and was shown what is now our boat. I fell in love with all that it had to offer but didn't know much about the manufacturer. The boat was also way out of our budget. I went home and started my research on the Bennington brand and was very impressed with what I found. Still the boat was more than we could afford. Now that we had the fever we continued to look at other brands and found that tri-toons were pricey. All the time we were looking my wife was plotting and planning behind my back for my upcoming birthday. While out one day she said lets stop by the dealer (Bennington) and see if they have any used boats. Well... as you have probably guessed she had worked out the deal and the papers were ready to sign on my dream boat. We are now the proud owners of a 2015 2375 RCW Blackout Edition. Sorry for the long story but wanted you to know I was in the same boat as you (no pun intended) when going from a bowrider to a toon.

We love the Blackout and have not really noticed scratching. I also would not give up center storage which I believe gives you the larger fuel tank as well. I have the side lights, underwater lights and interior lights and love them. However if it came to motor or lights I would hands down pick motor every time. I would also consider a little smaller boat to get esp pkg and even larger motor if needed. I also like the led stainless docking/running lights. Just my humble opinion! 

Another general question, when running at night, are you not allowed to have lights on the front besides the navigation lights at the stern and bow?  I naively thought that was the purpose of them. 

I would check your state boating regulations for what they allow or do not allow regarding lights. 

I also suggest raised helm if you can swing it.

Thank you Rockie69.  I'm in North Carolina.  Sorry, I just figured out how to add my location to my profile.  :)

I'm limited to 9.9hp so I'm all show and no go....

We have the optional side lights on our 20 footer.

The only pic I have is one I took while slightly inebriated  at our house dock slip, but you get the idea!

Thank you Landscaper2009.  I really appreciate the story for I am definitely in that same boat.  My son was hit and his car totaled.  (Thank goodness he was ok.)  Luckily the bad part was the damage to the car.  It was an older car that I had babied and made 100% sure that even with it being a 2000 model, the car was immaculate. Well...my wife decided it was time for her to get another new car, so my son got hers, and I got stuck buying a new "Limited Edition" car.  In the meantime, prior to the wreck, we committed to building a deck and installing a 475 ft custom built fence.  Lots of money in a very short time period...and then we go out for a ride with a friend on their pontoon. Two days later my wife says, let's get a pontoon boat.  My immediate response was "SOLD!"  So, money is a bit of an issue but I've always been one to buy what I want and not do the PADS thing.  (I'm a newbie, but I'm learning.)  I think with all the great information here, I've just about narrowed down my build. 

I'm still looking for a little more information on the blackout package and scratching.  That would be a major bummer to pay the extra to only be obsessed with trying to hide scratches. I like the other boats, but I think the most I can pull off now is a premium S model doing the Yamaha 200.  I'm also trying to understand if the 200 HP 4 Stroke Digital Electronic Control 2.8L is worth the money.  (Just the Yamaha "plain" 200 is an additional $12,746 and the digital electronic control model is $13,993.)

Thanks again everyone for all the great information.  Please keep it coming! :D

Here's some more suggestions to think about. Look at the Evinrude E-tec. They make more torque and are lighter in weight than most four strokes. Their HO series is tuned for more HP than the rated power. Also, some dealers have some older motors with 0 hours that they can deal on and still give a full warranty. What ever you decide to do,remember it's all for fun. :D :D :D                By the way, I run a E-tec 200HO on a 2550 RCW w/ESP,it runs 41 light load and 36 with 15-16 adults on board. Good luck!

FYI,

I just use a swim noodle to keep the door to my in floor storage propped open and it works well.  The first time I left it completely open and it made a small indentation in my furniture vinyl.

Chucktuna those lights look great!  I have to ask, why the restriction on the motor size?

jsur - Sorry it dented your furniture and thank you for sharing so others don't do the same!

You can put the under deck lighting on at any time for a fraction of the cost. In floor storage is a must as far as I'm concerned right after the biggest motor you can afford. I would give up the black out for any of the above any day of the week.  Good luck with anything you decide and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. 

MH663 - got it, big motor and in-floor storage are a must.  Thank you for your reply!

Out of curiosity, besides ski equipment, what are the boaters with this option successfully using this extra storage space for? 

I have the regular non electronic 200 Yamaha and it has been fine. For me it seems like more to go wrong. 

Chucktuna those lights look great!  I have to ask, why the restriction on the motor size?

We live in a neighborhood lake community with a 10hp limit....

Less than 100 acres of water so its really not needed.

I've taken my old 9.9 to a bunch of other lakes over the years, still fun, just takes longer to get there!

For me the trade off of being able to walk out my back door and hop on for a 30 minute ride anytime is worth it.

Any day on the water is a good day!  Sounds like a nice private area you have for boating chucktuna!

Back