Engine Whine @ low RPM Mercury 250 Hp 4 Stroke

Benlazlo

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bennington Bow Rider 24 ft with a Mercury 250 Hp 4 stroke. The motor exhibits a whine at low rpm (below 780 rpm) while in drive. Does not make the whine while idling. Whine goes away once I go above the 780 rpm.
Any thoughts?

My 2020 250 Mercury does the same thing since new, I have about 60 hours on it. Sort of annoying, always thought it was normal

Does the motor have the same noise characteristics in reverse? Although the noise might be driveline or belt related, some motors have induction or injection related noise that disappears at higher flow rates (air or fuel), but is also absent at no-load idle. I have some induction whistle at certain low power settings in our I/O. Thought it was serpentine belt/pulley/alternator related, but nope.

Not at all related, but, my propane fire pit squeals when the flow of gas is too little. High pitched sound that drives my dog crazy. We simply turn the flame up a bit and it goes away. We just live with it.

Not at all related, but, my propane fire pit squeals when the flow of gas is too little. High pitched sound that drives my dog crazy. We simply turn the flame up a bit and it goes away. We just live with it.
Try the Mercury Propane Fire Pit forum! Ha!

Back