ESP Trailer Supports

R

Retired Team Member1

Hey Derrick, here's what one of our engineers has to say:

"We (at Bennington) have used trailers that are not "extended" on ESP boats for years, even with an F350 (800+ pounds. Trailering the boat was actually part of our testing procedure when developing the 350hp boat rating. Below are pictures of a trailer we use with an extended center bunk...it's nice to have, but not necessary."

Something to keep in mind when spec'ing a trailer. We list a standard boat weight, but weights can vary based on optional equipment. Let's look at an extreme case, excluding the weight of water-soaked furniture, carpet, etc.:

Engine 1100 pounds

Fuel 300 pounds

Options 300 pounds

Gear 200 pounds

Batteries 90 pounds

"Tongue weight is normally about 12.5% of the trailer gross weight when not using load levelers. This type of information should come from the trailer manufacturer, not Bennington."

Hope this helps! TB

extended ESP trailer.jpg

extended trailer aft port.jpg

Well I am happy to deal with a company that goes above and beyond to put their customers at ease. This is why I recommend Bennington to anyone and everyone when they say "hey I like your boat" or " we're thinking of buying a boat......" Bennington is the first words out of my mouth. All that being said, what kind of trailer is that in the pics? Looks good! Does it come in red???? Haha Thanks again Team Bennington, now if I could just get that rear transom tie down corrected we'll be all set!

Derrick, a devoted follower of those who exemplify outstanding customer service.

TB - is that a Trailmaster trailer?

If I had to guess, I'd say Hoosier; they supply many of our yard trailers. If TB finds out otherwise, we'll give credit where credit is due!

The photos represent an E Z Loader trailer!

I knew for sure it wasn't Hoosier, but I didn't guess it was an E Z Loader. Thanks!

What's all that white stuff on the trailers and toons? :wacko:

HAHA, I dont know whether to laugh or swear!! I guess it goes to show that they COULD have done it right! That is exactly how/what I thought I would be getting. Little dissapointed right now.

You know Derrick, after looking at the pics TB posted, and knowing what your trailer looks like, I'd be PO"d also. :angry:

HAHA, I dont know whether to laugh or swear!! I guess it goes to show that they COULD have done it right! That is exactly how/what I thought I would be getting. Little dissapointed right now.
... and thus why I never would have guessed EZ Loader since it looks nothing like yours at all!

I've personally talked to the factories at Hoosier, Trailmaster, EZ Loader, Phoenix, and TrailersForPontoons (Mid-America based) in the past week about this and get very different answers from each one. With the numbers of ESP's moving out the door these days you'd think it was straightforward by now.

Ok so now I am getting a little freaked out that I went ESP since it apparently opens a whole can of worms regarding trailers.

I have several questions. Currently my 2 toon boat is transported to my garage by the local marina with a standard trailer that raises and lowers. They then lower my existing boat onto heavy duty casters so I can roll my 24' boat around.

1) Is it possible to trailer an ESP equipped boat with a "standard" pontoon trailer or must I go to a bunk style trailer.

2) Will my 25RBR sitting on a bunk trailer fit in under a 9' garage door?

3) If the answer to question 2 above is no, does anyone manufacture a low-rise bunk trailer?

It will suck if I need to now go purchase a trailer and rent space to store this new boat.

Looking for input.

Thanks

1) I dont think so, I've never seen a scissor one with an ESP. Not to say it isn't made, just haven't seen or heard of anyone

2) It is possible, I know of a few guys on here posting that they fit under an 8' door, key will be your trailer tires, I have 14" tires, I could barely fit under a 10' door, if you had the little 10" wheel, I think some even have 8" wheels! then shouldn't be an issue. My trailer is fairly tall, the top of the deck to the ground measures 62". If you wanted to be able to move it around once it's in the garage, then you would just have to jack up the frame and put your castors under the wheels or something, maybe you could even place a couple up front on trailer frame and behind the trailer wheels and just lift the trailer wheels right off the ground, dunno.

3) I'm sure there are low bunk trailers.

Don't worry, the ESP is well worth any added hassle!! haha

Derrick

If they have just a 2 bunk trailer it can be transported that way. Our dealer does it that way all the time for ESP's. Obviously they prefer the scissor style because they don't have to take it off the bunk trailer with a hoist or forklifts.

By the way, in regards to my earlier post about support for the transom on ESP's, the guys at Mid-America are going to build a special one with the middle bunks offset 12" or so to the rear and an extra frame support underneath for my ESP. All at a quite reasonable price too. I'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Ok so now I am getting a little freaked out that I went ESP since it apparently opens a whole can of worms regarding trailers.

I have several questions. Currently my 2 toon boat is transported to my garage by the local marina with a standard trailer that raises and lowers. They then lower my existing boat onto heavy duty casters so I can roll my 24' boat around.

1) Is it possible to trailer an ESP equipped boat with a "standard" pontoon trailer or must I go to a bunk style trailer.

2) Will my 25RBR sitting on a bunk trailer fit in under a 9' garage door?

3) If the answer to question 2 above is no, does anyone manufacture a low-rise bunk trailer?

It will suck if I need to now go purchase a trailer and rent space to store this new boat.

Looking for input.

Thanks
Question #2: Yes

My 2574GLi fits in an 8' high door with about 2" to spare so you should be good. I did shop trailers and chose one that is the lowest bunk height I could find at about 22" to top of bunk. Some brands were as high as 29" to top of bunk(measured at axle).

My trailer with the extra support for the ESP center tube arrived at Paul's Marine in Elkhart, custom made by Mid-America in only 2 weeks.

Here is the trailer config and list of options I received:

- Tandem PT24T/13BR 4" frame, 18' bunks, 28' LOA, with custom 2' center bunk frame offset

- Dual wheel tongue jack

- Tritoon kit

- 4 disc brakes with electric lockout

- 4 aluminum wheels and hardware

- 4 "D" range 13" tires to increase to 5500# capacity

- All LED lighting

- Diamond plate step plates

It seems to have just the right amount of adjustability to fit up nicely to my 2275 RCW ESP on order, but we won't know for sure until the boat comes in about a month. Bennington is only 5 miles from them, so the plan is to take it over there for a proper fit when the boat is ready.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the result and final cost, even if that bracing is not absolutely required B)

Tom

My trailer with the extra support for the ESP center tube arrived at Paul's Marine in Elkhart, custom made by Mid-America in only 2 weeks.

Here is the trailer config and list of options I received:

- Tandem PT24T/13BR 4" frame, 18' bunks, 28' LOA, with custom 2' center bunk frame offset

- Dual wheel tongue jack

- Tritoon kit

- 4 disc brakes with electric lockout

- 4 aluminum wheels and hardware

- 4 "D" range 13" tires to increase to 5500# capacity

- All LED lighting

- Diamond plate step plates

It seems to have just the right amount of adjustability to fit up nicely to my 2275 RCW ESP on order, but we won't know for sure until the boat comes in about a month. Bennington is only 5 miles from them, so the plan is to take it over there for a proper fit when the boat is ready.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the result and final cost, even if that bracing is not absolutely required B)

Tom
That is really nice! I have come to the conclusion that I will need a nice bunk trailer for 2550 RBR. What is the "ballpark" price for your rig if you don't mind my asking?

Jeff

That is really nice! I have come to the conclusion that I will need a nice bunk trailer for 2550 RBR. What is the "ballpark" price for your rig if you don't mind my asking?

Jeff
Jeff,

His pricing is "no haggle", but very good. Mine was "loaded" with every possible option for ~$3500. Most others were much higher. See their various tandem trailers here:

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/tatrailers.html

You would need their PT26T/13, which starts at $2755 base price with 10" drum brakes on 1 axle. Add $285 for a tri-tube kit and you're good to go. They are normally in stock and Paul is great to work with there.

Let me know if I can help.

Tom

Jeff,

His pricing is "no haggle", but very good. Mine was "loaded" with every possible option for ~$3500. Most others were much higher. See their various tandem trailers here:

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/tatrailers.html

You would need their PT26T/13, which starts at $2755 base price with 10" drum brakes on 1 axle. Add $285 for a tri-tube kit and you're good to go. They are normally in stock and Paul is great to work with there.

Let me know if I can help.

Tom
Wow! That great pice for such a nice trailer. I will give him a call.

Thanks for the great information.

Back