Essentials Kept on the Boat

Rbol121

Reaction score
Hey all, started thinking the other day to start a list of essentials to keep on the boat, from tools, to extra clothing to bug spray..etc. Would love to see what everyone likes to keep on their boats as either essentials for emergencies or just to have just in case. Can't wait to take delivery and ice to finish melting off the lake.

definitely keep some tools, first aid kit, extra lines, bungee cords, toilet tissue, sweatshirts, a couple of medium-sized plastic tarps, docking lines, picnic stuff, paper towels, 303 cleaner & protectant, sun glasses, registration & insurance cards, a few clothes pins, life jackets, extra towels, assorted fuses, fenders, fly swatter, bug spray, sunburn cream, sun tan lotion, adjustable tent pole(s)

Bombay Gin, Jack Daniels, Korbel Brandy, Roaring Dan's Rum, Grey Goose Lemon Vodka, UV Blue Vodka, Absolut Vodka, Glenlevit 12 Scotch, Patron, Southern Comfort, Jameson, Bloody Mary mix, bitters, salt, pepper, tonic water, club soda, Coke, Sprite, limes, lemons, oranges, olives, cocktail sticks, cups, napkins, cheese, sausage, crackers, chips, 24 cans of beer, water and a phone in case I need someone to bring me tools. :) Oh...and ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's our list of the stuff WE have to have on board. 

* Family and friends to enjoy a day on the lake with us (not every time but once in a while is great)

* Extra beach towels in case friends show up and want to go swimming or for on the seats while just cruising on a hot day

* Trash can under the helm (can double as a porta pottie if need be)

* Wet wipes (unscented ones in the baby section at wally world for a buck something work fine for us)

* Our small softside roller cooler (water - soda and sandwich meat and cheese to keep cold)

* Sunscreen (seems like we have 10 varieties from lotion to sprays)

* Bug spray (evening cruises in the summer)

* Good Camera & Cheap Waterproof Kodak camera/video camera (for sandbar pics)....going to tryout the gopro on a mount this year for tubing footage

* Cell Phone (in dry bag that floats)

* Sunglasses

* The catch all bag that always goes with us (things we normally forget and just leave in the bag)

* Clips for the changing room that hangs from the bimini

* Bottle of 303 cleaner and protectant with extra micro fiber towels 

* Spot detailer for panels and trim (more micro fiber towels)

* New cd full of mp3's to play (when the radio has nothing but commercials)

* Wireless remote for radio (can change from rear of the boat with no problems)

* Floating chairs/loungers (sandbar relaxing)

* 12v air pump for floating devices (tube and others)

* PVC Sand anchor (sandbar once again)

* Tow rope for tube

* Towing bridle (for towing boats not tubes....never know when you might need it)

* Misc rope and bungee cords (mainly for transporting towels/stuff on top of the cooler from car to boat at docks)

* A small toolbox with simple hand tools like screwdrivers and small wrench set - fuses & testers (from old boat) - electrical tape - zip ties - sparkplug wrench and plugs....for our old 2 stroke 50 just haven't taken them out yet and some odd and ends.

* 12v jump box (newly added)

Then there is all the docking and safety equipment on board.

* 3 large bumpers w/rail clips

* 1 extra bumper (in case of rafting up or out the front at some docks we use)

* 2 - 20' 1/2" dock lines and a couple shorter ones (depending on docks again)

* 3 different anchors (everything from a homemade one we have used on the floating chairs to a 15# navy anchor)

* Ton of life jackets from adult to small kid sizes (15 or 16 last count)

* Throwable cushion

* Fire extinguisher (safety thing)

* A paddle....for the boat and not me (just in case of emergency) 

* Dock hook

* Whistle 

* Air horn

* Distress flag

Last but not least.....The BOAT KEYS (yes we have left them at the lake house before and had to make a trip back to get them)  Getting old and forgetful is a real pain sometimes :p   :p

Wow now that I go over that long list of stuff we have on board it's a wonder there is enough room for us to go out and enjoy the boat

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, much appreciated, as this will be my first boat, so definately a newbie. Oh, and JeffS, I like your ideas also........... :)

Great suggestions. I keep the standard boat items: Bumpers, lines, LP's and throwable, extra towels, flag, box anchor.

At the helm/ under the helm: whistle, knife, small notepad and pen, sunscreen and lip balm, small binoculars, multi tool, first aid kit, spot light, flash light and my carry on bag.

Carry Bag: Items that normally would be in my pocket. keys, cell phone, money, wallet, pen, chapstik, small sunscreen, pistol. My handheld radio is in the mesh pocket. Camera. 

General items: TP, paper towels, trash bags, wet wipes, large hard sided cooler, single shot 20 gauge shotgun depending on time of year, extra hats.

Cheers, Steve

I love AZ and the open carry law! Everytime I visit suppliers out there I forget about the law...then poof! There it is guns everywhere!

Back on topic. I have a box of condoms... that I carry openly...

And just like that...the conversation spun out.  :)

Edit...apparently you have to click on the image to see what I was going for there...

I try to always take along a Designated Driver.............  The rest is just geography ??????????????????

Beer, ice, sunscreen and gasoline. Everything else is just fluff.

I find its not what I keep on the boat, it's what I keep in my car. I keep a cooler with the following ingredients: Beer, pop, water, Gardettos, tshirt, shorts, towel, and flipflops. I keep a plastic bag in my desk at the office. When I'm looking out my office window at a perfect boating day, I'll play hooky for the afternoon, grab the bag, swing by the ice machine, fill bag with ice, go to my car, pull shorts/shirt/shoes/towel out of the cooler, dump in the ice, and head to the lake for the rest of the day. It's not just about preparing the boat as much as it is preparing to be ready to go on a moment's notice!

For me it's the wife and dog. All the other stuff can stay behind!

I find its not what I keep on the boat, it's what I keep in my car. I keep a cooler with the following ingredients: Beer, pop, water, Gardettos, tshirt, shorts, towel, and flipflops. I keep a plastic bag in my desk at the office. When I'm looking out my office window at a perfect boating day, I'll play hooky for the afternoon, grab the bag, swing by the ice machine, fill bag with ice, go to my car, pull shorts/shirt/shoes/towel out of the cooler, dump in the ice, and head to the lake for the rest of the day. It's not just about preparing the boat as much as it is preparing to be ready to go on a moment's notice!

Now there's a man with a plan! I like it.

Happy Wife...... Happy Life! The rest will follow!

For me it's the wife and dog. All the other stuff can stay behind!

You mean that you leave "little Andy" behind? Wait until he gets big enough to whoop your behind!

^^^ Oh! Little Andy wasn't even a gleam in his daddy's eyes at that point. :D

He loves going on the boat and when his dad puts the throttle down!

Here's our list of the stuff WE have to have on board.

* Family and friends to enjoy a day on the lake with us (not every time but once in a while is great)

* Extra beach towels in case friends show up and want to go swimming or for on the seats while just cruising on a hot day

* Trash can under the helm (can double as a porta pottie if need be)

* Wet wipes (unscented ones in the baby section at wally world for a buck something work fine for us)

* Our small softside roller cooler (water - soda and sandwich meat and cheese to keep cold)

* Sunscreen (seems like we have 10 varieties from lotion to sprays)

* Bug spray (evening cruises in the summer)

* Good Camera & Cheap Waterproof Kodak camera/video camera (for sandbar pics)....going to tryout the gopro on a mount this year for tubing footage

* Cell Phone (in dry bag that floats)

* Sunglasses

* The catch all bag that always goes with us (things we normally forget and just leave in the bag)

* Clips for the changing room that hangs from the bimini

* Bottle of 303 cleaner and protectant with extra micro fiber towels

* Spot detailer for panels and trim (more micro fiber towels)

* New cd full of mp3's to play (when the radio has nothing but commercials)

* Wireless remote for radio (can change from rear of the boat with no problems)

* Floating chairs/loungers (sandbar relaxing)

* 12v air pump for floating devices (tube and others)

* PVC Sand anchor (sandbar once again)

* Tow rope for tube

* Towing bridle (for towing boats not tubes....never know when you might need it)

* Misc rope and bungee cords (mainly for transporting towels/stuff on top of the cooler from car to boat at docks)

* A small toolbox with simple hand tools like screwdrivers and small wrench set - fuses & testers (from old boat) - electrical tape - zip ties - sparkplug wrench and plugs....for our old 2 stroke 50 just haven't taken them out yet and some odd and ends.

* 12v jump box (newly added)

Then there is all the docking and safety equipment on board.

* 3 large bumpers w/rail clips

* 1 extra bumper (in case of rafting up or out the front at some docks we use)

* 2 - 20' 1/2" dock lines and a couple shorter ones (depending on docks again)

* 3 different anchors (everything from a homemade one we have used on the floating chairs to a 15# navy anchor)

* Ton of life jackets from adult to small kid sizes (15 or 16 last count)

* Throwable cushion

* Fire extinguisher (safety thing)

* A paddle....for the boat and not me (just in case of emergency)

* Dock hook

* Whistle

* Air horn

* Distress flag

Last but not least.....The BOAT KEYS (yes we have left them at the lake house before and had to make a trip back to get them) Getting old and forgetful is a real pain sometimes :p :p

Wow now that I go over that long list of stuff we have on board it's a wonder there is enough room for us to go out and enjoy the boatL

Back