Express Tube option versus Twin 32 Elliptical Performance Package

Manitowish1

Reaction score
My wife and I just ordered a 25 RBR with a 150 Mercury Verado, refrigerator, power Bimini the works. Before it goes into production I am trying to decide if we should add either the Express Tube Package, or the Twin 32 Elliptical Performance Package. I also see there is a Sports Performance System. Since this I likely to be our last pontoon boat, and I am already in pretty deep, I want to make certain I get this important piece of the puzzle figured out correctly. I think the ESP option is overkill for us as there will not be a lot of tubing or skiing going on, maybe occasionally. We will be using our new boat on 10 lake chain in Northern Wisconsin, so no crazy big waves, except those from other power boats.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

IMHO, 3 is always better than 2. B) Oh, and welcome to the party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Carl, 3 is always better! Have you been out on an ESP boat? I took a couple out on my 2275RCW with 200SHO motor and ESP. They had a 1 year old tri toon from another company with a 150hp. Well this summer they will be on a 25ft RCW I/O they couldn't believe how much smoother and sharper the ESP turned and rode. If I were you I would definitely consider at least the SPP package, I know money gets tight once you start compiling it all together, but I assure you it is worth it! Especially if since you are already doing a 150, is yours the one that already has a power steering built into the motor? If not you will ABSOLUTELY want to look at that! It comes with the ESP package, but regardless if you even just get the twin elliptical, it will make your cruise SO much more enjoyable!

We have the express option on a 24SSL. We added strakes (2 each on all three tubes) and it planes up very quickly, and we get very good top speed from a 115. The express makes the bow ride high though (compared to the stern) since it's not a full length tube. Some prefer the "bow-high" stance, others do not. Since most of the seating (and weight) is normally in the front on our boat, the extra bow lift helps the boat get up on plane when we take off. Also, the boat actually sits pretty level when we're in a cove and most of the people are sitting up front (due to the extra bow lift).

Neither the express or the twin elipticals will bank in a turn though like the ESP, which is in a class by itself.

I read the elipticals are more stable side-to-side (for people moving around on the boat) since they have much greater boyancy and they are positioned wide (at the sides), so you may prefer that.

If you don't want to spend that much $ on the ESP, I would at least get the elipticals or the express as opposed to just two ordinary plain toons. Resale is something to consider too.

Probably doesn't help you much... I am happy with the express for what it cost.

I can only relay my experience with the twin elliptical package. I love it. Dry smooth ride. Fast, but any of the triple toons will out maneuver it in turns.

It would have like to been able to demo each style, but like you, I live where the water is "hard" 4 months of the year and we ordered ours in the middle of the winter to have it for spring.

Would I get a triple toons next time? Maybe, only for the fact to get more hp. I have a 150 on mine now. My kids are 5 and 8, so tubing / skiing isnt extreme yet. Boat turns plenty fine to give them a wild ride.

If I was into water sports, then a 3 tube is the best bet.

There are pros and cons to each package.

Take the facts everyone here will provide on what package they have and why they bought it that way, and then make your decision

Good luck and welcome aboard

Todd

Derrick,

Yes the Mercury Verado comes with its own power steering system so we are covered there, it's just the pontoon configuration that I am trying to figure out. I don't want to get it wrong. I know that I must do something more than the standard 2 tube option, just trying to figure out if there is a general opinion on the best option to order.

Thanks for all the input so far, I am all ears and open to suggestions.

I have the elliptical tubes with lifting strakes inboard and outboard on each of them. Smooth ride, very fast, but not something that I want to run a slalom in. I'm happy with them.

I will be ordering a 2274 GL at the upcoming boat show, and I was considering going with the SPS and the Mercury 150. The salesman at one of the dealers I was visiting suggested I would not be happy with the performance of the SPS with the 150. His logic was with the added weight of the third toon and only 150, I'd be disappointed with the performance. He said that I would need 200 to 250 hp to get the performance with the added weight. His suggestion was to go with the twin elliptical (lighter boat) with the 115 hp, which is a lighter engine. Makes sense to me, and that's what I'm planning to do. Cuts cost considerably also. Unless you can run them side by side (water's hard here also this time of year), got to get all the input you can from those that know.

Hi Georgedand, I would take a look in the members zone props and power and go through and look at all the specs. I don't think the 150 would be underpowered at all on the tritoon. Now, I don't know what or how you plan to use it, kids, tubing, fishing, that would make a huge difference to your choice, I think you will wish you had the 150 down the road, I know I did when I had my 90. Just my thoughts.

Why would someone talk you down to a smaller engine?

Although i don't have my boat yet since the dealer is storing it for the winter. I went with the SPS package with the Merc 150. The SPS package is actually configured for the 150 Hp motor. If you go any bigger than the 150 they would suggest the ESP package.

I think that in this case I personally would choose the twin ellipticals.

Some thoughts...

I've had this discussion with the guys at the marina and the general consensus is that 3 25" logs or two elliptical logs are going to add up to roughly the same amount of weight, flotation and friction. Even so, the edge seeps to go a wee bit towards the twin elips; but you still will want to check the price points before you juggle the question.

The 150 is a perfectly reasonable choice for a boat that won't be used for water sports and it will still pull a tube well enough to be enjoyable. I personally would give serious consideration to moving up to 200hp, but if you stay at 150 you won't be making a serious mistake. You should at least ASK them what the price points would be for more powerful engines and factor that into your decision, since NOBODY ever wishes they'd bought a smaller engine.

If you haven't already specified this, make sure you get a wave shield. I DO know people who have bought FRP at Lowes (That pebble finish plastic paneling you see in bathrooms and commercial kitchens.) and done it themselves, but I honestly think that if you go that route (which will work) you'll find yourself wondering why you didn't go with the factory choice.

If you go the 3-log way it's not as important to have the wave shield because there is less water making it up to the underdeck and slapping against your cross members. I should probably mention that the water wont hurt anything, but it WILL slow you down and give a surging feel to the boat when you cruise at higher speeds.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Ok, all good information, so now I have moved up to the 200 Verado, and I ordered the triple tube sport package. Now I am second guessing and wondering if I should go with the ESP package.

Thoughts?

At that point you should be thinking ESP if turning similar to a v-hull sport boat might be important to you (for tubing, wakeboarding, etc). Then the can of worms is opened and power steering is advised as well once you're over 150hp. Center tube fuel tank, center tube storage, and on it goes but you'll have a great all around boat.

Do it right the first time and you won't regret it.

Hehe or be like me and THINK you did it right the SECOND time, and still contemplate buying another one!

Can you add center toon to an existing 24 SSL?

Probably a little pricey to do the full center toon/transom, should be able to add express toon, depending on if you had that transom fuel tank, best bet is check with your dealer.

Ok, called the dealer today and told him to upgrade me to the ESP since I went with the 200 Verado. The uptick is not too bad since the Verado is equipped with power steering. I guess I am "all in" now.

Bring on summer!

Good choice!

Back