F150 Engine Info & GPS Changeout Questions

DaveyJ

Reaction score
I'm not 100% trusting of my tach and would like to be able to see the additional engine information that is accessible via a NMEA 2000 network. I currently have a Garmin GPSMaps 431s which is not NMEA 2000 compatible. My thought is to find a used 441s or 421s (NMEA 2000 compatible) in order to make this as "plug & play" as possible. The other option would be to find a new GPS but that makes the install infinitely more complicated.
Has anyone upgraded from a 431s to a larger unit in the same location? If so, what unit did you install? Obviously this would require cutting the dash which I'm not real excited about but I'm always up for a challenge.
Once the GPS is installed, then I would have to create a NMEA 2000 network, correct? From what I can find in searching, I would have to buy the Yamaha/NMEA cable from Lowrance and the starter kit from Garmin. Is that it? Are there any steps or parts I'm missing? or is there an easier way I'm not seeing?

Last edited:
Any NMEA 2000 Starter Kit will have what you need. You will also need the Lowrance cable that plugs into your Yamaha motor. The design of a NMEA 2000 network is such that it's a bus architecture (think of a long pipe with a bunch of T connectors, with a things called a Terminators; one at each end of the pipe). At each T connector you connect up a NMEA 2000 compatible device. So for your setup, you'll need a minimum of 2 T connectors; one for the engine, and one for the GPS. In the starter kit you will also have a yellow power connector that actually powers the bus architecture. That simply connects up to your 12v DC power. You will run two "drop cables" from the NMEA 2000 devices back to the bus. These will be pretty long (depending on how you route the cables).

Any NMEA 2000 Starter Kit will have what you need. You will also need the Lowrance cable that plugs into your Yamaha motor. The design of a NMEA 2000 network is such that it's a bus architecture (think of a long pipe with a bunch of T connectors, with a things called a Terminators; one at each end of the pipe). At each T connector you connect up a NMEA 2000 compatible device. So for your setup, you'll need a minimum of 2 T connectors; one for the engine, and one for the GPS. In the starter kit you will also have a yellow power connector that actually powers the bus architecture. That simply connects up to your 12v DC power. You will run two "drop cables" from the NMEA 2000 devices back to the bus. These will be pretty long (depending on how you route the cables).
Thanks for the additional info! I greatly appreciate it!

Thinking I may utilize a Lowrance LMF 400 gauge in lieu of replacing my 431s. The cost of buying a used 421 or 441 in combination with buying new maps and transducer makes the LMF look like a bargain.

The Lowrance LMF-400 gets washed out to the point of being useless in a lot of sunlight. I regret buying it.

The Lowrance LMF-400 gets washed out to the point of being useless in a lot of sunlight. I regret buying it.
I read that could be an issue but we tend to run with the Bimini up 95% of the time so I don’t see much direct sunlight on the helm so that might mitigate the problem. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet and was going to try to pay attention to how much sun I get this weekend. Was also exploring the option of a WiFi gateway and getting the info off my phone. Thanks for the info!

Back