F150 or F200

kozzy

Reaction score
Im sure its here, but I looked and didn't find much, so here is the question , again LOL. I am about to order a new L Series 23 foot quad bench model. I have it well appointed and I am trying to decide between the 150 or 200. Now, my previous Benny had the F200, great motor. But I used that up in the St Lawrence river, and also had a tub pulling around with the kids. I now live in Florida, and will be using this to cruise the ICW in the Sarasota area. I know they are the same motor, tuned differently, and I know they only have a net difference in HP of 27. The 200 is in my budget, but the 150 is $3700 less...which could buy me a trailer, kind of important since i am getting from a dealer in NY cause its WAY cheaper. So the questions is, am I really going to see a big difference for cruising with 6 people in the 20-25 MPH range on the ICW? I understand WOT will drop a MPH or 2, but that is not a big deal to me...The dealer I talked to down here says get the 150, the dealer in NY I am buying it from says Ill be fine with the 150, but I will notice a hole shot difference with several people on the boat. From other sources it looks like the time to plane is a little over 1 second between the 2 motors. Samed sources also say that the differences you get from 150 to a 200 is just not worth the coin. Does anyone have any insight to help me decide please? Thanks

I have a 24sslx with sps and the f200 here on the east coast of Florida and love it. More hp is never a bad thing. And mine has performed flawlessly since new.

I have to agree with LL that more HP is never a bad thing. If it were me and it was within my budget, I'd certainly go for it. However, if you have something else you'd like to spend those dollars on, I think you'll be happy with the 150 as well. Frankly, there's a large group of folks on this forum that swear by the 150 and I'm sure by the end of the day you'll hear from them. Of course, be sure to post some pictures when you bring her home!

Sure sounds like you've already done all the research needed for a decision. For your stated use, the 150 is easily enough. Expect that a lower rated motor in the same family to use a lower pitch prop (if the gear ratios are the same), but the acceleration to and through your desired speed range will be very close to the same. The top speed and towing might have a noticeable difference, but you don't care...right? Guess that means you oldsters don't plan to be tubing?

Frankly, I think it's obscene that the difference in price between those two motors will buy your trailer!

Last edited:
yeah, it is a tough call. I ordered her today with the 150 after lots of talking and going back and forth with various boat owners today, While I like the idea of the 200, had it before and know its great, I found out a lot about the 150 , more today than I expected. I outfitted her wit ha SS prop;. The 150 and 200 are exactly the same motor, just tuned slightly different. Knowing Ill be traveling at most 25 MPOH, maybe 30 once in a whole, and not towing anything....just using in the ICW on the gulf coast of Florida, it made sense to stay with the 150, save the $3700 and use that for th trailer, since I had to buy it from a dealer in NYS to get a decent price....ill need to haul it down here now

yeah, it is a tough call. I ordered her today with the 150 after lots of talking and going back and forth with various boat owners today, While I like the idea of the 200, had it before and know its great, I found out a lot about the 150 , more today than I expected. I outfitted her wit ha SS prop;. The 150 and 200 are exactly the same motor, just tuned slightly different. Knowing Ill be traveling at most 25 MPOH, maybe 30 once in a whole, and not towing anything....just using in the ICW on the gulf coast of Florida, it made sense to stay with the 150, save the $3700 and use that for th trailer, since I had to buy it from a dealer in NYS to get a decent price....ill need to haul it down here now
I’m a big fan of the 200’s. However, for your stated uses, the 150 is a great fit, and gets you a trailer to boot. Sounds like a good decision. Safe travels south when you eventually get the boat.

Last edited:
Im sure its here, but I looked and didn't find much, so here is the question , again LOL. I am about to order a new L Series 23 foot quad bench model. I have it well appointed and I am trying to decide between the 150 or 200. Now, my previous Benny had the F200, great motor. But I used that up in the St Lawrence river, and also had a tub pulling around with the kids. I now live in Florida, and will be using this to cruise the ICW in the Sarasota area. I know they are the same motor, tuned differently, and I know they only have a net difference in HP of 27. The 200 is in my budget, but the 150 is $3700 less...which could buy me a trailer, kind of important since i am getting from a dealer in NY cause its WAY cheaper. So the questions is, am I really going to see a big difference for cruising with 6 people in the 20-25 MPH range on the ICW? I understand WOT will drop a MPH or 2, but that is not a big deal to me...The dealer I talked to down here says get the 150, the dealer in NY I am buying it from says Ill be fine with the 150, but I will notice a hole shot difference with several people on the boat. From other sources it looks like the time to plane is a little over 1 second between the 2 motors. Samed sources also say that the differences you get from 150 to a 200 is just not worth the coin. Does anyone have any insight to help me decide please? Thanks
Just got back from the Sarasota, Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island area. Just beautiful! Saw alot more pontoon boats than I thought I was going to see. The 150 will be fine!

Back