Favorite furniture layout & Why

David G

Reaction score
I might have to order a new boat, what is everyone's favorite furniture layout, or favorite boat?

We had the traditional L shaped lounge layout for 12 years and loved it. But we were getting tired of it and wanted something else. We were seriously looking at the swing back plan but we ended up getting a dinette model with a dedicated table with 4 chairs for meals and board games/cards. Love it!!!

Dual Stern lounges . My wife and I each get a lounge . With the swing back if 2 are using it and one person wants to get up , somebody else
does too
20200523_150105.jpg

Last edited:
We have a bunch of munchkins on our boat all the time so we went with the swingback. As soon as the kids get on the boat they are all sitting back there - they just love it!

We have a bunch of munchkins on our boat all the time so we went with the swingback. As soon as the kids get on the boat they are all sitting back there - they just love it!
Like this?

Attachments

• 64850779439__8B395508-0392-4C7E-AF99-0EEFB1F9FA10.jpeg
    64850779439__8B395508-0392-4C7E-AF99-0EEFB1F9FA10.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 72
Swing back is my favorite. Everyone wants to sit back there. The only problem with a swing back is the seating is heavy to the port side. So, you have to get your larger people on the right to even it out.

Love our swing back plus, it lies flat thus much longer. Plus the storage is awesome. We have the keeper rails, don't find them much of a bother, surprisingly.

We enjoy our duel stern loungers, particularly when the wind is a bit chilly. However, most of the time folks seem to congregate in the bow seating area.

Swingback pro's:

- great for kids
- great for wife
- great for girlfriend
- keeper rail can be used to mount fish rod holders
- tons of storage underneath
- with privacy option you have a much bigger area for changing/restroom

Cons:

- Creates a tight pinch point in the layout if you are hanging out on the stern a lot
- Wasted space if no one is interested in lounging around
- Keeper rail adds complexity to putting the mooring cover on. Not a ton but when you just want to cover and go home it adds a few minutes

I had a custom addition of a dining table with my swingback which has been fantastic. If I were to do again I would orient the table front-back instead of perpendicular to the centerline, but I can also move it myself with some DIY parts.

Not my wife:

8CF06E6A-FF6A-415A-BBF9-B6CFAF476F7A.jpeg

A16BB7C6-7721-4450-A402-A0626787C121.jpeg

Swingback pro's:

- great for kids
- great for wife
- great for girlfriend

Cons:

- Creates a tight pinch point in the layout if you are hanging out on the stern a lot
- Keeper rail adds complexity to putting the mooring cover on. Not a ton but when you just want to cover and go home it adds a few minutes

I had a custom addition of a dining table with my swingback which has been fantastic. If I were to do again I would orient the table front-back instead of perpendicular to the centerline, but I can also move it myself with some DIY parts.

Not my wife:

View attachment 30632

View attachment 30633
Table is a nice touch, not a fan of eating much less cooking on our boat. We live on water so no need to cook.

Swingback pro's:

- great for kids
- great for wife
- great for girlfriend

Cons:

Not my wife:

View attachment 30632

View attachment 30633
Is that a Blackstone? How do you like it? Seems to be a bit more versatile than my grill.

Blackstone is great, I keep this one on the boat year-round but I'm considering getting big one for the house (this is only the 22" model I think). Especially on the water a walled-flat top keeps the food from sliding all over the place and grease from pouring over.

Considered a Weber Q and Magma but the price and functionality on the Blackstone made it a clear winner.

EDIT mine is the 17" model.

Last edited:
Blackstone is great, I keep this one on the boat year-round but I'm considering getting big one for the house (this is only the 22" model I think). Especially on the water a walled-flat top keeps the food from sliding all over the place and grease from pouring over.

Considered a Weber Q and Magma but the price and functionality on the Blackstone made it a clear winner.
I like my Magma grill but I can never do anything other than traditional grilling food (burgers, steak, brats, etc.), unlike your Blackstone. Great choice you made!

I like my Magma grill but I can never do anything other than traditional grilling food (burgers, steak, brats, etc.), unlike your Blackstone. Great choice you made!
Thanks - they get so many positive reviews I felt it was a probably going to be used somewhere even if it bombed for boat use. You mention brats - my wife being from NJ and part Italian we do our fair share of cooking sausages, but I need the onions and peppers to go with it! That was part of the calculus in targeting a flat top as well.

I guess ours is traditional. It's an I/O so that dictates certain parameters.

We like it because it's great for family and friends with lots of open space.
We don't fish much but when we do it works OK for fishing off the bow, the port gate, and off the ski deck via the small stern gate.

My wife doesn't like to ride anything facing backward so the second pic is her favorite place on the boat.

We've had up to 7 adults and 7 grandkids and felt we had plenty of room.

We bought it used from family so we got what we got.
We can't think of a single thing we would change as far as layout...

20180602_140409-1.jpg20181102_180243.jpg

Last edited:
Back