Fenders for Bow of Pontoon

kcman

Reaction score
I hope to soon be taking delivery of my new 22SLX and will be keeping it at a slip at the marina.  I will be putting two fenders on each side of the pontoon but also planning on putting two at the Bow as well.  My questions:

1. What size fenders and rope lenght would the experienced boaters recommend for the BOW?  I am looking at 6"x22" or 5.5"x20" with either 5 or 6 feet of line.

2. Where would be the best place to tie the fenders to the BOW of the boat?

Thanks.

I'm not really answering your question, but will they allow you to put a vertical pair of protectors on the dock at the bow? That's what I have on my dock. Much simpler, and boat motion doesn't affect them.

I use EZFenders and place one towards the front and one towards the back, they are attached to the boat at all times, we simply bring them up high and then lock the ezfender while underway.  We have 8" for our everyday fenders and while at the dock and 6' line is all that is needed.  I then also carry under the seats 3 larger fenders [think 12"] that we use if we raft up with someone.

Tom's idea of protection attached to the dock may also be the best unless you use courtesy docks a lot as we do 

Last edited by a moderator:
During the day when I'm docked at the pier I just use two fenders, I use the clips that just clip on the rail so I can easily remove them when I'm not tied up, but at night I attach a third fender on the bow & attach it to the cleat. This keeps the front corner from hitting the pier

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all.  Gives me some good ideas.

Why would you want fenders at the bow of the boat?

I assumed he meant the side of the bow (extended platform) and not the front of the bow

Why would you want fenders at the bow of the boat?
I will be keeping my boat in a slip at the marina and wanted to protect the Bow (front) from hitting the front of the slip both when I pull into the slip and also when the boat is tied up.  About 20% of the individuals who keep their boats in the Marina keep fenders off the front of their boats. 

If you feel like you need bow fenders when in your slip, I would also consider spring lines.

I would love some input on the rub rail that goes around the boat. I saw some that had a channel with a rubber rub rail in it and then saw rub rails that were just ribbed flat alum. which is better?  I am ordering a new boat and dealer is talking me out of the rub rail with the rubber insert.

My boat has the stainless steal rub rails and after 21/2 years they look like the day I got my boat

My boat has the stainless steal rub rails and after 21/2 years they look like the day I got my boat
Same here, they're very robust.

Mine has the rubber insert, My Baja's had the S/S. They were nice, but scratched easily. If the rubber insert gets rubbed, I just use a little lacquer thinner on a rag to rub out the mark, then squirt it with WD-40 to shine it back up. I wet sanded a mark out of the old Manitou's once. That incident led to the EzFender idea!

KCMAN, I meant to post this picture in the above but had to come back to do it. Premier offers these top, leading edge nose cone protectors. I'm sure they would work on Benningtons.  You can get them through Premier, or if wanted, let me know and I can get them and send them on. I have an EzFender account with them. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, to help your front bumper idea or not. But, thought I would just tell you about them. Yell if interested! Oh..... $20.00 each, plus S&H. Sorry, almost forgot the most important part....cost! I'll be talking to Premier tomorrow about another topic, so I can check on these for you, too.

Back