Finally adding a trolling motor to the boat!

I am SOOOOO NOT a reptile kind of person. Don’t like them. Don’t like to be around them. Nope! Not for me!

:D

I like your setup and am considering a trolling motor. Your pictures and information were very helpful. I noticed a remote control trolling motor being used on a fishing boat behind my house and wondered if you considered it? Wouldn't that eliminate some of the control wiring?

I like your setup and am considering a trolling motor. Your pictures and information were very helpful. I noticed a remote control trolling motor being used on a fishing boat behind my house and wondered if you considered it? Wouldn't that eliminate some of the control wiring?

what do you mean by remote control?I have the i-Pilot remote which is wireless so there is no foot control to use. The wiring is needed to get 36v to the unit for power. I didn’t want the weight of three batteries and an onboard charger in the bow so that is why I ran wires to the back. I love the unit though.

I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get one. I caught two snook and lost a redfish and another snook this past weekend and I wouldn't have been able to get in the position needed without the trolling motor and spot lock features. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The one challenge I have is I fish from the console area with the fish finder and control the trolling motor. It is hard to see what direction the motor is facing. I tried a fiberglass pole bicycle flag but the wind blows the flag around. I can not get anything too tall because it will interfere with the front seat fisher people. Any ideas?
Try this. https://deviewbydebilt.com/

Great suggestion. Just ordered it. It will take awhile to review as Canada (Manitoulin Island) is shut down for tourism thru 6/30. The First Nation areas on the Island have closed their borders to protect the Elders. We had reservations starting 06/27. We will be social distancing in Ohio this summer. :(

Today’s progress update. Completed the mount. Borrowed the idea of a fellow member for a receiver style under deck mount. Still need to clean it up a little bit but it feels solid. Still waiting on a few electrical parts but should be done soon.
View attachment 26453View attachment 26454View attachment 26453View attachment 26454View attachment 26455View attachment 26456View attachment 26457
Love the under mount with the receiver hitch. We have a 2250 GSR and want to explore the under mount hitch option. Do you have links to the actual hitch hardware you used or did you fabricate some of it yourself?

Love the under mount with the receiver hitch. We have a 2250 GSR and want to explore the under mount hitch option. Do you have links to the actual hitch hardware you used or did you fabricate some of it yourself?
This was all from scratch. I used some leftover square tubing from my old boat lift. I wanted something that was removable for those sandbar days.

nice set up. I get my 22' boat in May and have been researching ways to connect my trolling motor. I was thinking a truck receiver as well but they are all painted steel. I like the Aluminum version! Did you just get 2 pieces of square tubing that fit inside each other? I was hoping to have my buddy weld everything together for me but bolting seems easy enough!!

How did you mount it under the boat? Do you have a wave shield?
Where does your power wire hang when not connected?

Thanks for the info and pics!!

nice set up. I get my 22' boat in May and have been researching ways to connect my trolling motor. I was thinking a truck receiver as well but they are all painted steel. I like the Aluminum version! Did you just get 2 pieces of square tubing that fit inside each other? I was hoping to have my buddy weld everything together for me but bolting seems easy enough!!

How did you mount it under the boat? Do you have a wave shield?
Where does your power wire hang when not connected?

Thanks for the info and pics!!
I am interested in this as well. The wave shield could pose issues with where/how to mount the hitch.

I am interested in this as well. The wave shield could pose issues with where/how to mount the hitch.
From my research, the wave shield does not go entire way to front unless you have rough water package. I just don’t have my boat yet to verify. Haha summer can’t come soon enough!

Here are some additional photos that might help others.

Today’s progress update. Completed the mount. Borrowed the idea of a fellow member for a receiver style under deck mount. Still need to clean it up a little bit but it feels solid. Still waiting on a few electrical parts but should be done soon.
View attachment 26453View attachment 26454View attachment 26453View attachment 26454View attachment 26455View attachment 26456View attachment 26457
Do you have the dimensions of each fabricated piece? Any pics of the underneath showing how the receiver is mounted to the boat hull? Did the white part that's angled and butts to the front edge already angled or did you have to cut it? If it was cut what is the angle? any information you are willing to provide will be great for a materials and parts list.

I kind of winged it so I don’t have technical drawings or measurements. Did you see the link to the google photos account that has some photos of dimensions. Based on that it should get you pretty close. The white material is two layers of 1/2” king starboard and the angle was determined using the cardboard template that came with the trolling motor mount and trimming based on the angle of the bow.

what do you mean by remote control?I have the i-Pilot remote which is wireless so there is no foot control to use. The wiring is needed to get 36v to the unit for power. I didn’t want the weight of three batteries and an onboard charger in the bow so that is why I ran wires to the back. I love the unit though.
I'm looking into making a setup pretty similar to yours. I have a question, why do you not want the weight of the batts up front. I would think that's the best location to get more even weight distribution through out the boat. The back of these boats often look saggy butt from the weight of a 250 or bigger motor. I plan to put mine up front.

It was just personal preference. I have a 24’ boat with a 200 and full length center tube so it doesn’t squat much. Also, I boat in south Florida and in the intracoastal and encounter big boat wake so I want to keep my bow as high as possible.

Have installed an Ulterra with a quick disconnect mount in the front of my 2004 2575FS. Is self deploying/storing unit, with GPS, foot and remote controls. The quick disconnect mount is very unobtrusive and allows the front entry door to operate freely. So when I want to fish, I pull the motor from storage and mount, plug in and go.... for pleasure boating, put away and play.

Attachments

• 20210508_150257.jpg
    20210508_150257.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210508_150354.jpg
    20210508_150354.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 58
Batteries... one on each side, in compartments, minn-kota digital charger on starboard side, with external plug in for charging. Have a very i/o in back, so this actually more evenly distributes weight

Just a tip to those placing trolling motor batteries in the rear - up your wire size to mitigate voltage drop. A lot of electronics in these modern trolling motors, and low voltage can screw with that.

Back