First hour in... steering wheel question?

peeruwp

Reaction score
Took the boat out for its first hour today. I have a 200f Yamaha and the default sea star steering assist that comes with it, not the power upgrade. I notice a noise/click every time I turn the wheel left or right when I start the turn... it’s sound like it’s coming from right behind the steering wheel itself. Given it’s my first hour, I’m not sure if that’s normal or not? I’m assuming not. I e driven a 25 year old toon for many years and there is no noise turning the wheel.

Thoughts from the more experienced?

Last edited:
Mine clicks too. The general internet consensus is that if the helm otherwise operates normally then it's likely check valves unseating as you go in the opposite direction. If there is a loss of operation or otherwise degraded performance then it could be air in the line requiring a bleed. But I would think with air you'd hear the noise constantly while turning, not just at the start.

Congrats on the 1st hour, hopefully many more this year!

Here is a video of the sounds. Seems odd to me so want to confirm this is what others hear plus when I turn from left to right there is a “rubbing” sound and feel occasionally.

Sound 1

Sound 2

Sound #1 isnt that far off from my clicks, maybe slightly louder. Sound #2 does NOT sound good. I still think it's related to the valves given that it does not continue with the turn. Maybe give it a few more trips then refer to the dealer?

Sound #1 isnt that far off from my clicks, maybe slightly louder. Sound #2 does NOT sound good. I still think it's related to the valves given that it does not continue with the turn. Maybe give it a few more trips then refer to the dealer?
Same.

#1 is similar, a little louder.
#2 is not what I have.

Update: dealer also agreed that it isn’t normal. I was worried that it would be difficult to get them to take care of it being I’m 1.5 hours away with no trailer. When purchasing they said they would do what’s needed to take care of issues if any and they stood by that! They are picking it up tomorrow, bringing it back to there service Dept to fix and then will drop it back if for me once complete. Not ideal
For them or me but kudos to Miller marine in MN!

Update: dealer also agreed that it isn’t normal. I was worried that it would be difficult to get them to take care of it being I’m 1.5 hours away with no trailer. When purchasing they said they would do what’s needed to take care of issues if any and they stood by that! They are picking it up tomorrow, bringing it back to there service Dept to fix and then will drop it back if for me once complete. Not ideal
This is a great example of why working with a good and trustworthy dealer is as important of a decision as what boat or motor to get. You never know if you will get a curveball with some component or needed maintenance. A dealer that works with you in good faith is a long term arrangement/relationship assuming you will have that boat for 10+ years. Glad they are taking care of your issue. I hope you are back on the water soon.

I've noticed almost the same sounds on ours too - 2020 SSRX with the SeaStar hydraulic steering. I think I've traced the problem to air bubbles that collect in the power steering fluid fill line, within the helm console. The bubbles cannot be bled from the system properly.

Specifically, the design of the fiberglass console has the power steering helm pump mounted at a high spot between cupholders, but this may create a high point where an air bubble forms. When the steering is turned, the pump draws in a bit of air causing the noises.

Try watching the clear steering fluid fill hose inside the helm console, while someone else turns the wheel. See if there is there is a bubble that moves and is sucked into the pump, creating the noise. When I do this on our boat, I see the air bubble moving at the exact time the noise is heard.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to bleed the air since it's a high point in the design of the fiberglass helm console. I'll be taking mine to the dealer in a few weeks to have them look at it. They said they can replace the helm pump under warranty, but I suspect the problem may remain if the air bubble bubble cannot be bled completely.

Here's a sketch showing where the air accumulates:
Slide1.PNG

Not a photo of my boat, but another photo I found online of the same style helm console. See the raised part where the helm pump is mounted.
high point 2.jpg

If you opened the fill cap and pushed up on the hose to get rid of the dowward angle of the hose at the pump the air should raise up and out of the hose. Just a thought from an retired mechanic.

If you opened the fill cap and pushed up on the hose to get rid of the dowward angle of the hose at the pump the air should raise up and out of the hose. Just a thought from an retired mechanic.
Thanks and tried that already with no success. The hose can't be lifted enough because it hits the fiberglass panel (poor helm design). I also thought about unbolting the helm power steering pump entirely, then bleeding it while holding it lower to the deck, and finally re-attaching when it's fully bled.

I'll cross my fingers that the dealer can repair mine this summer, as they said this is covered by warranty. Presumably, if the system can be bled entirely, the air bubble should not form again, even at this high point.

I bought my 2018 Benny from MIller Marine (St. Cloud) and have had nothing but good luck with them the few times I have had to deal with them for anything (granted, my issues have been very minor, but their track record is very good in my book).

Back