First Time Buyer Questions - Looking at 22SSL or 24SSL.

MikeT

Reaction score
We live on an inland lake in Michigan and are looking to purchase our first pontoon. As soon as I saw the 22SSL I knew that was a boat our growing family would love. Note that we have a ski boat for tubing/skiing, so we aren't looking to use this boat for anything other than cruising, swimming, and potentially tubing with the young kids (6 year olds). A few questions on the boat from some of the members (insights are appreciated).

1) Does anyone know the differences between the 22SSL and 24SSL? The website currently has many of the specs as the same and my dealer keeps telling me he will have the information in September.

2) What are the thoughts on engine choice for such a boat? I have heard good things about the Yamaha 70 - but maybe even smaller might suffice? I was also going to ask opinions of Mercury vs. Yamaha but my guess is it is a personal preference and the forum is probably split 50/50.

3) We live in Michigan, so our boating season is winding down and we are flexible when we purchase the boat. Does anyone know the optimum time to purchase/order that gets us the best incentives? I heard that I should try to wait for the engine and boat incentives to come out - which may be November?

4) Any thoughts on must have options?

Thank you in advance for any insights. We are really looking forward to this purchase.

Mike - Welcome to the Forum! It seems a little strange for me to type that, as I just joined about a week ago myself. There's a lot of good info here and a lot of happy owners willing to answer questions. This has been an extremely valuable site for me.

I know exactly how you feel about the 22SSL. When we saw the 22SSL, we knew it was exactly what we wanted. Funny how sometimes you just know it when you see it. That said, we're very likely going to buy a 24SSL in a few weeks. The 22 was a bit too small. Anyway, I've been looking at the info and comparing both those models for several weeks now.

Info on the 22SSL has been available on the website for some time. But, just last weekend they started posting the 24SSL info on the website. There are still a few errors. For example, the only way to find the 24SSL is to use the link to the 22s. Click on the 22 and you'll see it. There are also errors in the stats on the 24SSL that my dealer has confirmed for me. For example, it says max motor size is 115 HP, but it's really 150. Also, the lengths are all exactly the same as the 22SSL, which is obviously not right. Looks like a cut and paste error from the 22SSL that hasn't been cleaned up yet. So, just be aware that the info on the web site is in flux until they get the bugs worked out.

The 24 is 2 feet longer (obviously), but what Bennington DID with the extra 2 feet is what really won us over. They put the extra 2 feet in the front end, extending the front couches, and putting a slant-end on the "shorter" front couch (making it lounger-like, if you know what I mean). The 22 doesn't have this. Also, the 24 holds 13 passengers. The 22 holds 10, which was a deal killer for us on the 22SSL.

The dash/counsels have recently been upgraded as well, and are now different from what you'll see in the photos. Again, they'll eventually get new photos out.

I really can't answer your other questions (looking forward to seeing the answers though), but one thing I'd suggest is you go sit in an R-series captain's chair before you order the boat. Be forewarned, sitting in that chair will cost you! It's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeT, welcome to the forum!

Kaydano did a great job explaining the difference. The #s indicate length.

In regards to your 2nd question on motor, you cannot go wrong with the Yamaha. They are great outboards, as are Mercs. (I own a Merc. personally) there are several members with this same motor that can really give you some insight as to the benefits and problems they have with this motor.

Again, welcome to the forum!

I almost forgot.... Off season may bring incentives to the outboard of your choice. However, I would not expect discounts on the Benny to amount to anything significant. There is an amazing demand for these boats (rightfully so) both new and used.

Hi Mike, Welcome to the forum, Typically boat and motor mfgs offer some encintives during the boat show season normally starting around the first of the year. As far as Yamaha or Merc they are both good choices. Most dealers have a preference that they service. The dealer I purchased my boat from prefers Yamaha for 150hp and up, Merc for under 150.

1) Does anyone know the differences between the 22SSL and 24SSL? The website currently has many of the specs as the same and my dealer keeps telling me he will have the information in September.

Ummm.... two feet? ;)

If you're planning on using it for a "social" craft, the 24 would likely serve better.

2) What are the thoughts on engine choice for such a boat? I have heard good things about the Yamaha 70 - but maybe even smaller might suffice? I was also going to ask opinions of Mercury vs. Yamaha but my guess is it is a personal preference and the forum is probably split 50/50.

Even on a boat you aren't intending for performance use, always go big with the engine.

I would suggest either the 115 or the 150; the first being the "big" engine for non-performance use and the 150 being the entry level model for towing a tuber or skier.

Now I know you said that you wouldn't really be doing that stuff with the pontoon boat, so the 150 may be more than you need, but going with the 115 will get you into the mid-20's with a few people on board, while the 90 will only get you right around 20mph with the same load. Go to the 70 and you'll be in the high teens and the 50 will put you right around 15mph with a few people aboard. Last word on engines? If you're trying to decide between two, always go with the larger choice. Nobody ever regrets having a bit more "leg room" in the speed department.

3) We live in Michigan, so our boating season is winding down and we are flexible when we purchase the boat. Does anyone know the optimum time to purchase/order that gets us the best incentives? I heard that I should try to wait for the engine and boat incentives to come out - which may be November?

I suspect that will be highly dependent on your local dealer's patterns. Beyond that I wouldn't know.

4) Any thoughts on must have options?

Well, as a "social" boat, as opposed to performance, you might do best with either a twin elliptical or a traditional tri-toon setup. It will give you better stability, greater weight capacity and make for a smoother ride than a standard two-log set-up.

Also, provided you have the room for it in your budget, get as much storage capacity as you can.

Finally, you know what's really nice? Having a Starboard size fence gate, so that if you ever go out alone and need to dock somewhere, it's easier to dock and then hop out to tie her up. The 24SL and 24SF models have Starboard gates.

Those individual chairs on the SF are nice too, especially if they'll let you upgrade them to a cushier version. You'd have to ask about that.

Last thought? If you ever plan on pulling ANYTHING, even a tube, a ski-tow bar is mighty convenient.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have heard that they changed the console for 2012 on the S Line, but haven't seen the pictures yet (at least the pictures on the website look like the 2011). I'm looking forward to this purchase.

Back