First Time on Water

Steve J

Reaction score
Took my new (to me) 2375 RLTD for a water test yesterday. The dealer cleaned it up nicely, though I plan on spending some more time myself on the toons (and applying some Shark Hide) when I get her home. Dealer is still working on a few minor punch list items, but I should have her home this week. After warming her up, I was surprised to see her hit 38 MPH (using speedo app on my phone). I was also surprised by how quickly she gets out of the hole and planes out. The tri-toons handle surprising well. My kids were concerned that a pontoon boat would be less fun for tubing (migrating from Malibu Wakesetters). I don't think they'll have ANY complaints once I start whipping them around.

IMG_7851 copy.jpg

That is a lot of boat moving at 38mph!

I thought the same thing! Engine is only one year old (was replaced when prev owner cracked the block) so it's running strong. I wondered if the large top deck acted as a sort of wing, helping lift the boat out of the water at speed, thereby reducing drag in the water. Or maybe it's just decent HP + light weight (only two people on board) = surprising speed. :)

I owned a Malibu for 9 years prior to the pontoon.  My Bennington pulls a wakeboarder easier and tubing is just as much fun.  My top speed is also greater.  I doubt there will be any disappointments.

Looks like a fun boat for sure. We came from Malibu's and our Bennington does the job nicely now, a great all around boat.

I saw a few double-decker Bennys when I was doing pre-purchase Googling. If the boat has "TD" in the designation, that stands for "Top Deck." So mine is a 2375 RLTD.

Engine is the Mercruiser 5.0L EFI. I/O is the Bravo-3 with twin 3-props.

Congrats on the new boat but be aware that it will corner flat with those strakes on the outside.

Congrats on the new boat but be aware that it will corner flat with those strakes on the outside.

Good to know. So you're saying make sure everyone is holding on tight before I crank it hard? :)

Congratulations and welcome to Benny world, Steve! You're in for a lot of fun with that vessel. Enjoy...

Good to know. So you're saying make sure everyone is holding on tight before I crank it hard? :)

Take it out by yourself and do emergency turns.  You need to know.  Our elliptical can turn at  40 mph.  It is a flat turn and can throw people hard enough to hurt them if they are not hanging on.  As captain, you will need to know what the boat will do and be able to tell people to hang on and what that means because you know what the boat reaction to your steering inputs are. 

Looks and sounds like you are going to have a great summer!  Welcome to the world of Bennington.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same thing! Engine is only one year old (was replaced when prev owner cracked the block) so it's running strong. I wondered if the large top deck acted as a sort of wing, helping lift the boat out of the water at speed, thereby reducing drag in the water. Or maybe it's just decent HP + light weight (only two people on board) = surprising speed. :)

Sounds familiar! Bought our 4 year old boat (at the time) with a new I/O when the owners forgot to winterize it or didn't do it properly and cracked the block. Going into our 10th season with it..........

Take it out by yourself and do emergency turns.  You need to know.  Our elliptical can turn at  40 mph.  It is a flat turn and can throw people hard enough to hurt them if they are not hanging on.  As captain, you will need to know what the boat will do and be able to tell people to hang on and what that means because you know what the boat reaction to your steering inputs are. 

Sounds both fun and prudent. Thanks. :)

Back