Fish Finder installation

jjohnso

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 21SFXAPG and it did not have a fish finder installed.
Purchased a Garmin 73SV over the weekend and would like to install it myself since the dealers are so backed up currently.

Was hoping I could wire the power under the dash but curious what others have done. Is there a way to add it to one of the switches or would I be best to run it to the battery in the back of the boat?

Any guidance appreciated as I am a first time boat owner

Thanks in advance
JJ

JohnL

Reaction score
There shouldn’t be a problem tapping into one of the circuits under the helm. Usually the depth finder and radio are on a circuit off of the accessory switch. Should be pretty straightforward.

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
My accessory switch was factory wired powering the fish finder and the radio.

jjohnso

Reaction score
There shouldn’t be a problem tapping into one of the circuits under the helm. Usually the depth finder and radio are on a circuit off of the accessory switch. Should be pretty straightforward.
Thanks for the reply. I went out last night and saw an open place to tap into.

sunedog

Reaction score
It can be a little intimidating lying on your back under the helm looking up at all that wiring. Don't remember where I got this, but this drawing really makes it easy to understand typical boat wiring.

boat wiring.jpg

Supercommode

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a fish finder as well. I used a multimeter and found an extra unused plug hanging that would become hot when I turned on the accessory switch for my radio. Probably what the dealer would use. 20200609_095356.jpg

jjohnso

Reaction score
It can be a little intimidating lying on your back under the helm looking up at all that wiring. Don't remember where I got this, but this drawing really makes it easy to understand typical boat wiring.

View attachment 27018
[/QUOTE

View attachment 27018
Nice! Thanks for sharing

Supercommode

Reaction score
What did you use to drill the hole in the console for the fish finder cables? Should I use a paddle bit or just a large drill bit?

tinkertoy

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a fish finder as well. I used a multimeter and found an extra unused plug hanging that would become hot when I turned on the accessory switch for my radio. Probably what the dealer would use. View attachment 27021

I found this (actually 2) plugs under my helm also. Where did you find the mating plug?
TT