Fishing options

SML happy

Reaction score
I am really confused and I hope the anglers on the forum can help. I ordered the 22LSAPG series with the rear fishing station. Had to order the L because I wanted the rear swim platform which is no longer available in the S series for 2021.
Now to my questions for help. What trolling motor is compatible with the units coming with the Benny’s this year? I know Minnkota pairs with Hummingbird. Hummingbird is not an available option. Seems like only Garmin and Simrad come with Bennys.
l’ve never had a “fishing” boat before and I’m at a loss to brand, shaft length, etc. My wife and I love to fish, and this is a big reason why we sold our SeaRay to buy this particular Bennington. Thanks everyone.

I am really confused and I hope the anglers on the forum can help. I ordered the 22LSAPG series with the rear fishing station. Had to order the L because I wanted the rear swim platform which is no longer available in the S series for 2021.
Now to my questions for help. What trolling motor is compatible with the units coming with the Benny’s this year? I know Minnkota pairs with Hummingbird. Hummingbird is not an available option. Seems like only Garmin and Simrad come with Bennys.
l’ve never had a “fishing” boat before and I’m at a loss to brand, shaft length, etc. My wife and I love to fish, and this is a big reason why we sold our SeaRay to buy this particular Bennington. Thanks everyone.
Congratulations SML happy! I hope you manage to get fish slime all over the boat right away ;)
I have done some looking on this topic as I am thinking about adding a trolling motor as well. The MotorGuide will "talk" with Lowrance and Simrad so you can use the GPS functions to lock the boat in place. I believe that with the Xi5 you can also follow a depth contour automatically. There have been a few great threads on mounting a trolling motor so look in to those.
Good Luck!

There's a lot to unpack in your question. If you're getting a basic trolling motor you shouldn't need to worry about communication with your graphs. Higher end TM's that have built-in transducers like Garmin's Force obviously would pair with a Garmin chartplotter, but only certain graphs can take advantage of that functionality. So a basic Stryker-type depth finder likely isn't going to do much paired with a Force and may not be able to use the high-end transducer built-in to it. Manufacturers have compatibility tables on their websites to help wade through what can be very confusing.

High end graphs and high end TM's can network and provide some additional features like Autopilot but that's the kind of stuff you typically see with hardcore fishermen. And you are correct a MK will network with a Humminbird but not a Lowrance (to my knowledge) etc. so if going that route make sure you are working with a vendor that knows their stuff.

If you get a TM with Spotlock/iPilot I think that's going to be the most critical spec. Set it and forget it and fish your heart out. Maybe add a small chart at the bow for fishing and leave the helm one as a standalone navigation aid. That would be my recommendation so you're not running back and forth.

Shaft length will be determined in part by how big of water you plan on being. Salt water guys and fishermen on big lakes like Erie could be in 3-4 footers so they need a longer shaft as that bow is going to be pitching wildly. For a smaller lake like SML I'm guessing you would be best served with a 60", but again a good vendor should be able to give you better guidance. You may be able to get away with a shorter length but I personally would rather be too long vs. too short.

1B7AB1B9-1702-4277-BC63-D8C8A577FB05.jpeg

Good advice above and great choice on the boat. I ordered the same. My 22LSAPG is being delivered in 2 weeks (150 Yamaha). I am a serious fisherman, and working with my dealer they ordered for me accessories/electronics to meet my needs and will be installing after delivery. I also have a 18 ft Deep-V, but my wife wanted some luxury in another boat; and eventually I may sell the deep-v if I am content with the outfitted pontoon. This is a boat I will be keeping for 10-15 years and not shorting myself on the electronics.

Chat with your dealer's service team. As always, it really depends on how much you want to spend. Check out the youtube "Ultimate Fishing Experience 2019 Episode 11 - Pontoon Fishing Boats" from Wired2Fish. The default Garmin Striker 4 in the dashboard is not going to suffice if you are thinking about more serious fishing (I added it my build--but just for general depth info). Humminbird/Minnkota, Garmin, Lowrance, Motorguide are all good options. Depends on preference. So, I am adding the following:

--MinnKota Ulterra 60' (72' was determined not needed--and my dealer's service team are competitive anglers). They felt it would pull enough for my Northern Wisconsin/UP Michigan waters. Now if on Lake Erie or Green Bay's big rough water, I would consider the 72'. Spot lock and iPilot is a must and the Ulterra's automatic deploy will be nice on a pontoon. Batteries: 3 for TM and 1 Crank/Starter battery will be stored in the privacy station (no privacy). Get the detachable mount, so you can remove the trolling motor.
--Humminbird Solix 12 --touchscreen, Side-imaging, 360 imaging etc. Mounted on the helm.
--HELIX 10 upfront in Bow (that I will pop in and out from other boat). The Bennington sold me on the roomy bow. I will be able to stand, fish and use the trolling motor remote/lanyard--I am not a big foot pedal guy anymore. I do a lot of trolling out the stern and it is roomy back there also.
--Talon 12 --on stern to be used as anchoring, beach, dock etc.
--MinnKota 5 ethernet Hub (the MK and HB devices will all 'talk' to each other); and the hub makes it easily expanded to add other devices. (i.e. a Talon up on the bow; a different depth-finder)
--ProTour 360 Elite Quad 4 Bank Charger

It's a lot of add-ons, not cheap. But if you really love to fish, these are some great tools.
I will send pictures of my Bennington once delivered on outfitted.

Great email rweberg, glad to see other hard core fishermen on this platform. I think we will be able to help each other out a bit given there is a much smaller population of us vis a vis pontooners.

One area I still need to get a handle on is putting in a trollbridge so I can charge TM batteries on the fly. I have a very long no-wake from my slip to the main river and with a 70a alternator I might be able to keep a full charge without shore power. I'm also thinking of going lithium 36v to save on space even with exorbitant cost.

I'm waiting for the Power Pole TM to come out before making any final decisions - been talked about for years but rumor is 2021 it will finally come out.

Sounds like a good idea on the Trollbridge for your water. I think in a few years I will consider the Lithium Batteries when the prices recede. The Power Pole charging management station would be a nice addition/upgrade too.

I have a 60” 36v minn kota terrova on my 24’ S and it does an awesome job. I mostly fish docks here inshore so I haven’t had a need for good electronics.

I have a 60” 36v minn kota terrova on my 24’ S and it does an awesome job. I mostly fish docks here inshore so I haven’t had a need for good electronics.
I was hoping you may chime in on this LL. I've looked at your post on your trolling motor mount at least a dozen times. I would like to do the same so that there is nothing mounted to the deck when we're not fishing and can leave the TM at home. I think I will be doing the same thing but adding a Humminbird because my Simrad will not sync with the Minn Kota brand. I would really like auto-deploy and the Ulterra is the only one with this to my knowledge at this point. We typically have the bow filler seat in place and don't feel like moving it or climbing over the seats to pull up / deploy the TM all the time.
I'm assuming PowerPole will not be auto-deploy based upon speculation. Apparently I'm in a very small minority wanting that. I would like to see what they come out with anyhow before making a decision as they will most likely sync with my Simrad GO7.

Good advice above and great choice on the boat. I ordered the same. My 22LSAPG is being delivered in 2 weeks (150 Yamaha). I am a serious fisherman, and working with my dealer they ordered for me accessories/electronics to meet my needs and will be installing after delivery. I also have a 18 ft Deep-V, but my wife wanted some luxury in another boat; and eventually I may sell the deep-v if I am content with the outfitted pontoon. This is a boat I will be keeping for 10-15 years and not shorting myself on the electronics.

Chat with your dealer's service team. As always, it really depends on how much you want to spend. Check out the youtube "Ultimate Fishing Experience 2019 Episode 11 - Pontoon Fishing Boats" from Wired2Fish. The default Garmin Striker 4 in the dashboard is not going to suffice if you are thinking about more serious fishing (I added it my build--but just for general depth info). Humminbird/Minnkota, Garmin, Lowrance, Motorguide are all good options. Depends on preference. So, I am adding the following:

--MinnKota Ulterra 60' (72' was determined not needed--and my dealer's service team are competitive anglers). They felt it would pull enough for my Northern Wisconsin/UP Michigan waters. Now if on Lake Erie or Green Bay's big rough water, I would consider the 72'. Spot lock and iPilot is a must and the Ulterra's automatic deploy will be nice on a pontoon. Batteries: 3 for TM and 1 Crank/Starter battery will be stored in the privacy station (no privacy). Get the detachable mount, so you can remove the trolling motor.
--Humminbird Solix 12 --touchscreen, Side-imaging, 360 imaging etc. Mounted on the helm.
--HELIX 10 upfront in Bow (that I will pop in and out from other boat). The Bennington sold me on the roomy bow. I will be able to stand, fish and use the trolling motor remote/lanyard--I am not a big foot pedal guy anymore. I do a lot of trolling out the stern and it is roomy back there also.
--Talon 12 --on stern to be used as anchoring, beach, dock etc.
--MinnKota 5 ethernet Hub (the MK and HB devices will all 'talk' to each other); and the hub makes it easily expanded to add other devices. (i.e. a Talon up on the bow; a different depth-finder)
--ProTour 360 Elite Quad 4 Bank Charger

It's a lot of add-ons, not cheap. But if you really love to fish, these are some great tools.
I will send pictures of my Bennington once delivered on outfitted.
Thanks for the post. I’ve been deciding almost the same as yours. I’ll be waiting for pics.

Thanks all for the information and ideas such as the auto deploy and upend electronics. I’ll check to other threads and YouTube. I’m going to go for it. Might as well spend my money on me and the kids can just have my toys. I’m 73, and this will be my last boat also. Just sold my Harley, and really want to be on the lake as often as possible so why not get it, rather than say, I wish I had it.

I have a buddy down here who has an ulterra on his boat and a talon and it’s all interfaced. They have the new raptor one like a power pole so worth looking into. He controls everything from the helm.

Back