Flag

Floatn

Reaction score
Hi y’all. To round off customizing our new pontoon we want to add a custom flag. I’ve read some experiences of people losing their flags due to mounts. For safety and pleasure, I want to make sure that the view of the water isn’t obstructed so it needs to be off the back, which I know is the norm. We have the gas on one side of the motor the ladder on the other. The flag will be a 2x3 so the option to mount on the light bar of the Bimini won’t work. I see Bennington has a deck mount kit, does anyone have experiences they can share before I buy it and drill into the deck? I don’t want to be fishing the flag out of the lake, or worse yet pole and all sink. Thanks.

Welcome ! We have had a lot of Flag talk. Try to search upper right hand corner for your quickest answer. Good Luck !

Hi y’all. To round off customizing our new pontoon we want to add a custom flag. I’ve read some experiences of people losing their flags due to mounts. For safety and pleasure, I want to make sure that the view of the water isn’t obstructed so it needs to be off the back, which I know is the norm. We have the gas on one side of the motor the ladder on the other. The flag will be a 2x3 so the option to mount on the light bar of the Bimini won’t work. I see Bennington has a deck mount kit, does anyone have experiences they can share before I buy it and drill into the deck? I don’t want to be fishing the flag out of the lake, or worse yet pole and all sink. Thanks.
If you ski tow bar, try a rod holder, I bought Amarine ones from Amazon, and they are about 1.5" diameter. I use 1" PVC as my flagpole with some eye bolts and nuts, after drilling the PVC. Works great and I keep an allen key on board to tighten occasionally.

I appreciate your responses. I did end up buying a Bennington flag pole kit from the dealer. I had to take the display model since so many accessories are sold out with no estimated delivery dates available. But I was lucky.... since it was the display they said they would mark it up double and give me half off!! I’m just happy to have a place for the flag and it sounds like it’s a pole design I won have to worry about.

The ones that Bennington sell are high quality, no worries at all

Thank you Link. After doing some more research and knowing Bennington makes such solid products I figured that would be the best way to go for the kit.

Hey Foatin, so I was searching the forum for flag ideas and came across your post. Specifically because I'm having a hard time with the size. I see you with with 2x3 so I was wondering if that ended up being a good size. The 3'x5' seems too big and the 12"x18' seem too small, and I found some 2x3 that may work...I plan on mounting them on the tow bar rather than the floor but still I was just curious how that worked out. Thanks.

Hi Kjohn20.

The 2x3 worked out perfectly. We originally planned to go with a 3x5 until finding out that the Bennington flag pole kit is 2x3. The 3x5 would have been too big. The 2x3 is plenty big to see the detail of the flag. We did a deck mount off the back, which worked out well for our pontoon.

The Bennington flag pole is sturdy and easy to take out of the mount when necessary. Good purchase.

Side note... For anyone that is having a flag made. We had the option of nylon or polyester, as well as one or two-sided. We went with a tight meshed nylon for better durability and "airiness", and one-sided. We're happy with both decisions. The two sided would have been heavier (because of an additional layer that is needed between the two printed layers) therefore not fly as easily.

Since I've never had a flag made before I've never been faced with those questions and options. I wanted to share just in case anyone else is faced with the same questions and options.

Happy floatn this weekend!

Here are some pics of our updated setup for this year. We used to run some small flags attached to the bimini with the Taylor made fender clips, and upgraded to this setup to get some full size flags. Two rod holders mounted to the tow bar and these flag poles made to go in rod holders. Great solid setup and we get a lot of compliments on the water.

41E95E6F-313B-44D6-A10C-F07EC46B4CA1.jpeg

I could not find one to my liking that works well with the tow bar so I fabricated one myself. Could not be more perfect.

Pontoon Flag Mount.jpg

I could not find one to my liking that works well with the tow bar so I fabricated one myself. Could not be more perfect.

View attachment 31771
That’s a very polished look for a tow bar flag mount. I bet you could sell those and make some $$$.

Here are some pics of our updated setup for this year. We used to run some small flags attached to the bimini with the Taylor made fender clips, and upgraded to this setup to get some full size flags. Two rod holders mounted to the tow bar and these flag poles made to go in rod holders. Great solid setup and we get a lot of compliments on the water.

View attachment 30187
Can you post what rod holders you used? Maybe a link?

Back