Former Harris Sunliner owner about to buy 2023 22SX swing back. Looking for a quality comparison

Kcsaab

Reaction score
I’ve been a Harris owner since 2012 and stumbled across a great deal from my local Bennington dealer. I’ve configured a super custom 22SX and I’m curious if anyone on this forum has thoughts about the comparison between these 2 model lines. I’m thinking I can’t go wrong with with either but I’ve never owned a Bennington. Help me confirm my decision, TIA

You realize that you will not get a unbiased opinion from this forum. If you are looking for support to buy the Bennington than you have come to the right place. If not you will need to supply more information. It is impossible to compare the Bennington 22SX model to a unknown Harris model. Both manufactures supply a multitude of options to satisfy your specific needs. The Harris has a bigger 27” tube compared to Bennington’s standard 25” tube. But then maybe you do not value the bigger tube. If undecided more information is required. If not then buy the Bennington.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either brand/model. How do I know?!? We have a Harris dealer (Marine Max) and a Bennington dealer (Lake Norman Marina) on our lake. I've been to both (and to every other Brand dealer here) I've sat on each brands models, talked to sales people, have taken test drives and I've educated myself on the hierarchy of the model lines. 1) Bennington has the top of the line QX/Q! Harris has the Crowne. 2) Bennington-R series. Harris-Grand Mariner. 3) Bennington-L series...... Harris-Solstice. 4) Bennington-SX/S series. Harris-Sunliner and Cruiser. Both brands match up well, are well made, and have loads of options! Both brands are well represented on our lake!

You realize that you will not get a unbiased opinion from this forum. If you are looking for support to buy the Bennington than you have come to the right place. If not you will need to supply more information. It is impossible to compare the Bennington 22SX model to a unknown Harris model. Both manufactures supply a multitude of options to satisfy your specific needs. The Harris has a bigger 27” tube compared to Bennington’s standard 25” tube. But then maybe you do not value the bigger tube. If undecided more information is required. If not then buy the Bennington.
DVW great points. I’m comparing SX swingback with the express performance upgrade, mercury 115 (private lake with a speed limit) with simrad go7 to a sunliner with the same performance package, engine, and electronics. I can’t get any dealers to give me tangible differences. I’m trying to understand the difference in simtex vs what Harris uses, stringer spacing, and anything that would mane a real difference. Not looking for unbiased looking for anyone that looked at both and some reasons why they chose to go Bennington. Both boats MSRP is within a few $100

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either brand/model. How do I know?!? We have a Harris dealer (Marine Max) and a Bennington dealer (Lake Norman Marina) on our lake. I've been to both (and to every other Brand dealer here) I've sat on each brands models, talked to sales people, have taken test drives and I've educated myself on the hierarchy of the model lines. 1) Bennington has the top of the line QX/Q! Harris has the Crowne. 2) Bennington-R series. Harris-Grand Mariner. 3) Bennington-L series...... Harris-Solstice. 4) Bennington-SX/S series. Harris-Sunliner and Cruiser. Both brands match up well, are well made, and have loads of options! Both brands are well represented on our lake!
That’s exactly how I see the model lines matching up. I’m comparing a highly optioned SX to a sunliner

That’s exactly how I see the model lines matching up. I’m comparing a highly optioned SX to a sunliner
Have you "built" a comparable Sunliner to see what the price difference would be? While you're at it price an L series with the options you want

Kcsaab - you're getting filet mignon with the Bennington, that's a pretty widely held belief in the pontoon world. Great construction, options, warranty, owner support and resale. What is the local dealer rep? Which dealer is closer? What does the wife like better? Those will be the more important decisions.

But you can't fail with a Benny.

Have you "built" a comparable Sunliner to see what the price difference would be? While you're at it price an L series with the options you want
Yes the sunliner and SX are within $1000 list but I can get the SX for over $10k less. Almost seems to good to be true. The L is a few $k more and I’m not seeing much difference they way I’ve configured the SX

DVW great points. I’m comparing SX swingback with the express performance upgrade, mercury 115 (private lake with a speed limit) with simrad go7 to a sunliner with the same performance package, engine, and electronics. I can’t get any dealers to give me tangible differences. I’m trying to understand the difference in simtex vs what Harris uses, stringer spacing, and anything that would mane a real difference. Not looking for unbiased looking for anyone that looked at both and some reasons why they chose to go Bennington. Both boats MSRP is within a few $100
I have spent more time looking at the underdeck of pontoon boats than anyone I know. Nowadays I see little structural difference. Cross member spacing is the same on most boats with 2 crossmembers for every 4 foot wide sheet of plywood. Typically there will be more crossmembers near the stern to support heavier motors. In my opinion Bennington has style that screams premium boat. Most folks have pride of ownership and will pay for good style. Style adds to manufacturing cost. Bennington hides more fasteners for a quality look. This contributes to both manufacturing and service cost.

I have spent more time looking at the underdeck of pontoon boats than anyone I know. Nowadays I see little structural difference. Cross member spacing is the same on most boats with 2 crossmembers for every 4 foot wide sheet of plywood. Typically there will be more crossmembers near the stern to support heavier motors. In my opinion Bennington has style that screams premium boat. Most folks have pride of ownership and will pay for good style. Style adds to manufacturing cost. Bennington hides more fasteners for a quality look. This contributes to both manufacturing and service cost.
Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge.

Yes the sunliner and SX are within $1000 list but I can get the SX for over $10k less. Almost seems to good to be true. The L is a few $k more and I’m not seeing much difference they way I’ve configured the SX
Buy it! But one suggestion..... Get at least a 150. Doesn't matter if it's a Mercury or a Yamaha they're both bulletproof! It will help with resale!

Price the SPS package with a 150 . Well worth the extra $$

I bought a 2020 Sunliner, and love it. It was less than the Benny, which factored into the decision. But if the Benny is 10k less, comparably equipped, seems like that is the way to go.

I owned a Harris Crowne before buying my QX 25. The furniture quality is similar but the construction is far different. The Bennington feels very solid even in rough water. The Harris on the other hand feels flimsy. I feel like the thru-bolted deck construction makes a huge difference in the ride among other things.

Price the SPS package with a 150 . Well worth the extra $$
I am going with the express package and the 115 ProXS. I have a 150 verado on my current boat and never use it at full power. I live on a medium size private lake with a 40MPH speed limit. 95% of our time is spent slow cruising or tied up with friends.

On my 2014 ,I had ordered the Express package . After doing some research , some on this forum . I changed my mind and went with the SPS. Also you will never buy HP for as low of a cost than at the time of initial purchase

We bought a 2018 22 Bennington with a 115 and the express package. Traded it in after two seasons for a SPS with more HP (and a few more feet in length). And Jack is right, the best time to do this is when you initially purchase it.

I would minimally go SPS over the Express, regardless of motor HP at 115Hp and above.

SPS rides much better. Sits on a better angle in the water: the express sits very low in the back in the water compared to a full length tritoon hull.

Just my two cents on this, and that doesn’t buy much. Although above comments about HP are accurate about purchase, you have good reasons for why you are looking at the 115. Seems like a nice fit for you on your lake with your boating style.

Last edited:
Back