front bimini flew off

I am in the process of installing a curved double Bimini on my 23SSBXP that came with only the standard (non-curved) rear Bimini. Looking at the photos of where the pins are located, I am thinking that it would be a good ideal to drill my holes for the pins slightly higher on the bracket to prevent this from happening.... thoughts?

Tighter is better for sure, you just have to make sure you're not drilling the hole too close to the edge of the bracket, it's aluminum and needs at least some substantial amount of wall to prevent breaking through under load (maybe 1/4"?).

Also consider the cable tie method which seem to be a superior solution, only tradeoff is having the cable on the fence frame which might be a minor annoyance if someone is sitting there and wants to hang their arm off the side, or the additional trip hazard from the tie down on the bow deck.

Did you put that in after market or was it an option. Brace hit passenger in the head when it flew up. I am freaked out about keeping it up now. It was a little winday, but we weren’t going that fast.
Sorry I missed this question - it was a factory option.

I use these Voile straps on all my bimini clips. I use the smallest 6" size, or possibly the next size up, slip it under the whole clip assembly, and attach it. These are the best straps, use them for all kinds of stuff on the boat. I didn't install the pins when I installed the front bimini because I didn't want those cables just dangling when they were not in use. Plus, it didn't seem like they would hold as well as something that fully captures the plastic and the full bracket.

1673316785093.png

from your picture, you did not have the arm "latched" around the pin. The black plastic clip must be snapped around that pin not resting on top of it, it takes a good hard smack with the bottom of your palm to seat it. If you have always run it like that I am surprised it hasn't happened prior.

I just installed my front Bimini with pins this weekend. I drilled my holes for the pins slightly higher than OP’s are located, in alignment with the pin that the arm/plastic end snaps onto.

They feel very secure in this position. I wonder if the installer just drilled the holes slightly lower than optimal for the pins to work as intended? It would be nice if the brackets came pre-drilled for the pins.

I had to install the brackets, mark everything, remove them, drill holes, reinstall to make sure everything looks good.B4ED5BC3-4300-4DE5-9742-FF5D70D0E649.jpeg

Last edited:
I just installed my front Bimini with pins this weekend. I drilled my holes for the pins slightly higher than OP’s are located, in alignment with the pin that the arm/plastic end snaps onto.

They feel very secure in this position. I wonder if the installer just drilled the holes slightly lower than optimal for the pins to work as intended? It would be nice if the brackets came pre-drilled for the pins.

I had to install the brackets, mark everything, remove them, drill holes, reinstall to make sure everything looks good.View attachment 33856
You did a better job than I did drilling the holes. My drill bits were dull. Nice job.

I use these Voile straps on all my bimini clips. I use the smallest 6" size, or possibly the next size up, slip it under the whole clip assembly, and attach it. These are the best straps, use them for all kinds of stuff on the boat. I didn't install the pins when I installed the front bimini because I didn't want those cables just dangling when they were not in use. Plus, it didn't seem like they would hold as well as something that fully captures the plastic and the full bracket.

View attachment 33841
do you have a picture of this installed on the bimini? I'm having trouble visualizing. Always open to other suggestions to enhance safety!

do you have a picture of this installed on the bimini? I'm having trouble visualizing. Always open to other suggestions to enhance safety!
I was looking for one, but couldn't find it. When I get the cover off again, I'll get a photo.

But the Voile strap essentially gets inserted under the bimini clip assembly, (and above the bracket) and wraps around the whole bimini clip assembly, then fastened to itself, securing the bimini clip to the bracket pin. So even if the bimini clip tab failed, this would hold it.

One thing to remember about these black plastic bimini clips, is they have the tab you use to release it from the pin. But it is important to use the tab when you are engaging it to the pin, also, otherwise they will just get loose, that much faster.

The nice thing is these Voile straps are rubber, so they have some give. Unlike a fixed metal pin, they will give slightly if say a big gust of wind came up unexpectedly and it may not tear out the arm from the fencing. I don't know the difference in strength between the metal pin and these, but I have never had a strap fail. And since they are so low profile and simple to use, I find myself using them for everything. My rear bimini did not have the securing pins, but that may have been because all those clips head the right direction, they face backwards, so wind and forward momentum will likely make them tighter against their bracket. (Like the one in the photo below.)

But the new front bimini clips face forward, so wind and forward momentum are pushing them away from the bracket pins.

But I put Voile straps on all eight of the clips, just to be absolutely sure.

1674067058254.png

I realize this post is a few months old, but this happened to us this weekend. Windy day and the front bimini pops open or out of the bracket! So strange that it is designed to snap in facing forward (against the wind) instead of backwards. We will look at options to reverse the bracket or add pins, very scary with front passengers.

I have a 2018 and I have the metal ball and socket type connectors. You have to turn a pin with a curved section to get them out and when flipped over (installed) the barrel of the pin is the lock.

I don't have a front bimini, so forgive me if this is an ignorant question. What is the purpose of the pin in this installation? The end of the strut looks like it is just resting on top of the pin. Shouldn't the pin go through some part of the end fitting?

View attachment 33018

I'm assuming that screw is a pin. That black plastic clip looks like it is sitting to high. It looks like it is sitting on the screw pin. the gap in the plastic should be on the screw pin, then insert the pin so the leg doesn't kick back.

I realize this post is a few months old, but this happened to us this weekend. Windy day and the front bimini pops open or out of the bracket! So strange that it is designed to snap in facing forward (against the wind) instead of backwards. We will look at options to reverse the bracket or add pins, very scary with front passengers.

There are no pins to prevent the front bimini from popping out?

My boat is a 2022 and the front bimini support attaches just like that one. The plastic clip attaches to the permanent pin, and the the safety pin goes in behind it so that it can't reverse and unclip off of the permanent pin. I can't see how it can disconnect if installed this way.

Attachments

• IMG-0766.jpg
    IMG-0766.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 6C424655-D649-4BB0-94B4-886E3AFD0DBA.JPG
    6C424655-D649-4BB0-94B4-886E3AFD0DBA.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 6EEEFEEB-5893-4088-9B2C-CCE2F5AABE7B.JPG
    6EEEFEEB-5893-4088-9B2C-CCE2F5AABE7B.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 21
There are no pins to prevent the front bimini from popping out?
Yes, but I can't confirm or deny that the pin was in!! It will be now for sure. Just to be safe I ordered replacement connectors - it appears the previous owners didn't push the tab when opening, I think it resulted in dulling or wearing down the piece that holds.

I don't have a front bimini, so forgive me if this is an ignorant question. What is the purpose of the pin in this installation? The end of the strut looks like it is just resting on top of the pin. Shouldn't the pin go through some part of the end fitting?

View attachment 33018
I thought the same thing looking at this picture. The second picture shows another groove lower on the black piece that clips to the pin so it was clipped on the non-removable pin.

As a member of the "Yep, that happened to me" club, my front bimini came out of the mounts even with that "retaining" pin remaining in place. I was going about 40 mph into a 15-ish mph headwind, and then crossed someone's wake so the nose angled up. The forces were so great the black plastic pieces deformed and pulled out of the mounts. All the pins on both sides stayed put. We keep our speeds down now when running with the double bimini.

As a member of the "Yep, that happened to me" club, my front bimini came out of the mounts even with that "retaining" pin remaining in place. I was going about 40 mph into a 15-ish mph headwind, and then crossed someone's wake so the nose angled up. The forces were so great the black plastic pieces deformed and pulled out of the mounts. All the pins on both sides stayed put. We keep our speeds down now when running with the double bimini.

In order to prevent that from happening again I would consider a cable stay arrangement where the bimini would have to rip bolts out of the frame to blow loose.

That being said the fabric (and specifically sewn seams) of the bimini have a maximum stress value as well, so at some point even if the frame hokd in place you'll start to tear things. Don't ask how I know!

Back