fuel fill problems

Sparetime

Reaction score
I have a problem filling the fuel tank on my 2018 20' Bennington. When filling the tank (side fill) the fuel burps back and fuel splashes out. I don't believe I have a direct fill option (boat is under shrink wrap) . This has happened when filling at two different marinas neither have a high speed pump. I do not see an obvious vent outlet. Any ideas what the problem is and a fix.
Thanks Andy

I have a problem filling the fuel tank on my 2018 20' Bennington. When filling the tank (side fill) the fuel burps back and fuel splashes out. I don't believe I have a direct fill option (boat is under shrink wrap) . This has happened when filling at two different marinas neither have a high speed pump. I do not see an obvious vent outlet. Any ideas what the problem is and a fix.
Thanks Andy
Welcome to the forum!

Is this 2018 new to you and has this issue, or you’ve had it since 2018, and the issue is new? Have you checked with your Bennington dealer/service department?

Others that have had this problem (I have not) may end up replying.

In the meantime I would suggest doing a search in the forums (upper right hand corner of page search box).

From 2018-2020 you will find a handful of posts discussing similar problems. Not always the same issue. Sometimes venting. Sometimes another issue. Different approaches and solutions have been discussed a number of times. Hopefully they can provide some guidance to you.

Last edited:
As Viking noted, many threads on this. Tank is likely not venting so first check would be those high-probability areas such as the carbon canister or vent screen. Either screen is clogged with crud or vent tubing has fuel or water trapped in it.

Sometimes using a funnel or tilting the fuel nozzle at a different angle can help (you'll find these solutions in your searches) as I'm guessing this allows enough air to vent back up the fill neck and not build up a burp. Good news is that this is a well-covered topic so you should be able to get some great advice here.

If you have the side fill you do not have direct fill. Direct fill is in the back middle of the boat. That is what I ordered because the side fill is a pain in the butt. I love the direct fill. I hope they can fix the side fill but I have a feeling it has to do with EPA standards.

Welcome to the forum!

Is this 2018 new to you and has this issue, or you’ve had it since 2018, and the issue is new? Have you checked with your Bennington dealer/service department?

Others that have had this problem (I have not) may end up replying.

In the meantime I would suggest doing a search in the forums (upper right hand corner of page search box).

From 2018-2020 you will find a handful of posts discussing similar problems. Not always the same issue. Sometimes venting. Sometimes another issue. Different approaches and solutions have been discussed a number of times. Hopefully they can provide some guidance to you.
The boat is new to me. I purchased it from a friend and I have experienced this when filling it with him in Florida. The boat is now in Maine and as mentioned it is under shrink wrap. It looks to me like a vent problem. I will look for earlier post about this problem.
Thanks Andy

The boat is new to me. I purchased it from a friend and I have experienced this when filling it with him in Florida. The boat is now in Maine and as mentioned it is under shrink wrap. It looks to me like a vent problem. I will look for earlier post about this problem.
Thanks Andy
Move the nozzle around, we have to put the nozzle in sideways

Also have this issue on my 2017. 2 things worked for me 1-tilting the fuel nozzle so the grip is in the 3 oclock position and 2- not seating the nozzle all the way down. I put it in as far as it will go and then bring it back about an inch, then fuel it up (Preferred method for me now). Different (and many) funnels did not work for me. I also don’t go full blast with the gas either way as I‘m a bit gun shy after depositing enough gas into the lake.

It is an EPA thing with gas emissions, and I’ve not tried to correct what is causing it (and I’m sure there is a solution as others have noted as this is not an issue for all) as these methods work well enough for me.

Welcome ! Try searching in the upper right hand corner. This has come up numerous times, you should find an answer there. Good luck !

Fuel filling systems are surprisingly complex do to emission regulations. I will tell you what I have observed to help you trouble shot. On the back side of the fuel filler is four hoses plumbed to the plastic filler fitting (see photo). The big hose is obviously the fill hose. The little hose and the special fitting I am holding deals with tank overfilling. The two same size hoses are tank vent hoses. The one vent hose goes to the vent on the top of the tank while the other goes to the charcoal filter and then down to a fitting in the floor that contains a screen. When the gas cap is off the venting from the tank is wide open to atmosphere. When the gas cap is screwed on the vent from the tank is connected to the charcoal filter. The final little hose that I am holding in my fingers I call a shutoff hose. The special plastic fitting on the end of this little hose is a pressure pickup when exposed to inlet flow. I do not have x-ray vision but it appears that a this fitting is part of a pressure passage that breaks into the filler hole that the gas nozzle goes into. This side hole is at a spot that lines up with the little shut off hole on the bottom side of every gas filler nozzle. A small buildup of pressure at this hole on the gas filler nozzle will shut it off. The other end of the shutoff hose goes to a special port on the top of the tank that I am guessing will probably see a buildup of pressure in some manner when the tank is near full. In that manner the nozzle will shut off when the tank is near full. I hope this sheds some light on the subject.
1642360767124.jpeg

Known problem. What was happening, at least to me, is that if you look in the filler hole, you will see the return vent on the bottom part way to where the inner hose attaches. if the nozzle is not inserted deep into the hole, gas will enter the vent line, preventing air from coming up, and forcing it to come up main fill hose- which causes the splashing. There was a funnel included with my 2017, to prevent gas from entering vent line. you need to either insert gas pump nozzle deeper, or rig up some tubing that will get you past the vent hole on the bottom. You can see it in DVW's pic above. the bottom assembly close to the outside is where its happening

Back