Fuel fill time

keithkz

Reaction score
What's the best setup to put gas in the boat while tied up to the dock? The side fill on my Bennington is not at all compatible with my gas cans (the spout on them) and I'm having trouble finding a good funnel to fit the fill hole on the boat so I could then remove the spouts from my gas cans and pour the gas in the funnel. Even if I do find a funnel that will work like this I still have the issue with filling a 52 gallon fuel tank with gas cans and driving back and forth to the gas station to refill them. There is not a marina on my chain of lakes or else I would gladly pay the extra marine fuel cost to fill up that way. Help!

I use these there expensive now back when we used to ride dirtbikes and fourwheelers they were cheep. with the hose on it makes it so easy to fill.

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/259/7342/ITEM/LC-5-Gallon-Utility-Jug.aspx

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/259/7341/ITEM/LC-12-Filler-Hose-with-Cap.aspx

Only other option may be one of those gas caddys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having the same issue. There has to be an easier way or set up to get fuel in from shore. These current can nozzels are killing me having to hold shoulder hight for about 5 - 7 minutes per 5 gallon gas can. Plus, I don't have a funnel that fits the tiny opening on the Bennington. Any advise would be great.

At the Chicago boat show I bought a very simple siphon, just insert and shake and it empties a 5 gallon can in about 3-4 minutes. Bass pro sells them too but they are much thinner than the one I have.

What's the best setup to put gas in the boat while tied up to the dock?

There is no marina on my chain of lakes or else I would gladly pay the extra marine fuel cost to fill up that way. Help!
$100 Solution

$350 Solution

$390 Solution

NOTE: They switched the links around, but if you open all three you can compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having the same issue. There has to be an easier way or set up to get fuel in from shore. These current can nozzels are killing me having to hold shoulder hight for about 5 - 7 minutes per 5 gallon gas can. Plus, I don't have a funnel that fits the tiny opening on the Bennington. Any advise would be great.
I've been using cans like these (had a few from the race ATVs):

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTE_WUS_G

Using the cheaper model filler hose like these (or making one thats similar):

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=WES_28-1275

If you punch out the breather hole to be a bit larger but still close you can get a pretty fast fill from it - I'd say 5 gallons in less than a minute and the hose will fit into the fuel fill. Added bonus is not having to lift the jug quite as high because of the longer fill hose. Most any place that sells dirtbike accessories, etc will have something similar. Granted..its still only 5 gallons per.

I purchased one of the large 29 gallon containers a few years ago for our PWC's. It is a gravity fed model so the unit needs to be higher than what you are filling to get good flow. Where the gas cap is on a pontoon is usually higher than the one on a PWC so this may be an issue. The one change I would make is purchasing the hand crank or one that has a motor to keep the gas flowing.

Back