Fuel Filling Problems

SeaDog SC

Reaction score
Hello All, this is SeaDog SC from Lake Hartwell SC / GA. We have a new 2021 24LXL, took delivery on April 1, hope April Fools day delivery is not an omen...
Love the boat, love the Yamaha 175 Max Sho, but hate that the recent gas fill was a big problem. The boat has just passed 38 hours and the first 2 fuel fills went without issue and the fuel flowed into the tank from the 5 gallon cans without a burp, (I fill on my dock, with boat on a lift). The last fill was taking 15 to 20 minutes to take in 5 gallons, the boat needed about 20 to fill the 28 gallon tank, so roughly an hour to get gas in it! I thought it might be the flapper at end of the fill tube, so rigged a rod to hold that open while filling, did not help. Now I suspect I have a problem with the tank vent, on the L model the fuel tank is above the deck, in the L compartment. There are two vent lines both on top of the tank, one to the stern of the tank one more forward, they join together and go the EPA mandated carbon vent cannister and then the hose exits down a black hole under deck with the battery cables and the fuel line. Where the end of that air vent goes I can't tell, but I don't like that is under the deck where it could be exposed to water, the vacuum caused by using fuel from the tank could be sucking water up into the carbon cannister. Could this be the source of the problem? A secondary concern, is the air vent lines lay flat on top of the tank, I probably overfilled the tank during the second fill, while the boat is on the lift it is level, when it is lowered into the water the stern drops about 10 to 12 degrees from level, which could mean liquid fuel could have gone from the stern fuel air vent line down into the carbon cannister? Could this damage or block the cannister? Anyone had a similar problem or have any suggestions to relieve the issue?

Welcome! This issue seems to pop up once or twice a year so try using the "search" function at the top right of this site and I think you'll find similar issues and hopefully, resolutions. Personally, my slow fill problem was fixed when I purchased an "old style" gas can spout on-line to replace the one that came with it.

Welcome! This issue seems to pop up once or twice a year so try using the "search" function at the top right of this site and I think you'll find similar issues and hopefully, resolutions. Personally, my slow fill problem was fixed when I purchased an "old style" gas can spout on-line to replace the one that came with it.
Do you have any pics Michiman?

Was thinking about fabbing or purchasing a spout extension for my cans. Is the tank fill hole 1/2" or 3/4"?

I was so excited to have our new boat on the water this past weekend I forgot to measure before I had to come back to reality today.

I have added a 15 inch piece of clear plastic tube (I think it's 1 inch OD) to the tip of my gas can spout and I also used a stainless steel worm-hose clamp to hold the tube to the tip of the spout. I then push the tube into the gas line about 6-8 inches and I have no problem filling my tank. Each 5 gallon can takes maybe 2 minutes at most to empty (my cans are older and have a built-in vent with a pop-off cap). The clear plastic tube and clamp is available at any hardware store and, as I recall, was about $3.00 total.

Last edited:
I took my EPA friendly 5 gal cans and after 1 frustrating day at the dock I made changes.

Removed the internal filter on the can

Attached this

Drilled a 1/2" vent hole in the gas can.

Problem solved.

Do you have any pics Michiman?

Was thinking about fabbing or purchasing a spout extension for my cans. Is the tank fill hole 1/2" or 3/4"?

I was so excited to have our new boat on the water this past weekend I forgot to measure before I had to come back to reality today.
Sorry, no pictures or dimensions. :( However, my fix was just as Mozenkian described; a new spout and drilling a vent hole in the plastic gas can did it for me. It should be noted however, that others on this forum did seem to have actual problems with their fuel tank lines. Good luck!

Fuel dock is so much easier! Plus, the fuel at my marina is non-ethanol and already pretreated with proper additives.
2A17B9A7-9EE7-493D-9021-ED6DA860D1EA.jpeg

I have added a 15 inch piece of clear plastic tube (I think it's 1 inch OD) to the tip of my gas can spout and I also used a stainless steel worm-hose clamp to hold the tube to the tip of the spout. I then push the tube into the gas line about 6-8 inches and I have no problem filling my tank. Each 5 gallon can takes maybe 2 minutes at most to empty (my cans are older and have a built-in vent with a pop-off cap). The clear plastic tube and clamp is available at any hardware store and, as I recall, was about $3.00 total.
Pictures?

Here you go - 6kidsurf:

Attachments

• Gas can.jpg
    Gas can.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 28
The ‘live bait well’ comes in handy for holding the jerry can when refuelling.

Attachments

• DE7793E8-AFB1-44AA-979C-3C7590FFB48F.jpeg
    DE7793E8-AFB1-44AA-979C-3C7590FFB48F.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 23
Fuel dock is so much easier! Plus, the fuel at my marina is non-ethanol and already pretreated with proper additives.
View attachment 29787
+1 on the fuel dock! All marina fuel on our lake is ethanol free and 87, 89, and 93 octane available. Pull up tell the attendant to fill it up, give them your credit card, give them a tip, Done!!! One marina last year was self serve due to Covid. Pump it yourself, pay by CC, Gone!

+1 on the fuel dock! All marina fuel on our lake is ethanol free and 87, 89, and 93 octane available. Pull up tell the attendant to fill it up, give them your credit card, give them a tip, Done!!! One marina last year was self serve due to Covid. Pump it yourself, pay by CC, Gone!
Yes to tip. But I have a card on file for everything at the marina. I buy what I want/need, tell them my slip number (unless they know me), and I’m out! Gas, food, gear... whatever. I get a receipt at the end of the month.

Yes to tip. But I have a card on file for everything at the marina. I buy what I want/need, tell them my slip number (unless they know me), and I’m out! Gas, food, gear... whatever. I get a receipt at the end of the month.
Sounds like a nice set up! Can't beat it! I used to cringe when we filled up our 52 gallon tank after a day or two of skiing. That'll be $157.25 sir!!! Ha! No big deal. If it needs it fill it up!

That is a very convenient set up. I really like it.

However, I think it is nice on occasion with company that we are told the amount dockside by the attendant. The benefit is my friends and family take notice of how expensive their day or weekend of boating is in regards to gas, and then it is not unusual for them to cover half or all of it.

Since we have a lot of family with teens and young adults, and do lots of tubing, it is rather easy to burn through gas very quickly with our motor and tubing style.

I find it a nice “opportunity” for someone to pitch in on gas without saying something or asking directly.

I find it a nice “opportunity” for someone to pitch in on gas without saying something or asking directly
A fair point. We are lucky enough to have friends also who ask if they can chip in for certain things. I see how pulling a wallet out at the gas pump would make it a more natural reaction from a friend to chip in. And, we are not tubers. We might cruise for a couple of miles at 4,000 RPM, but mostly we anchor at the sandbar and enjoy our floating living room.

We just got our new RX with a 56 gl tank.
It was real pleasure to fill it and pay.
The boat I traded had a 300 gal tank and my fill ups averaged $ 600.00.
It had a pair of Yamaha 350 hp motors.
Whoa!!!

That is a very convenient set up. I really like it.

However, I think it is nice on occasion with company that we are told the amount dockside by the attendant. The benefit is my friends and family take notice of how expensive their day or weekend of boating is in regards to gas, and then it is not unusual for them to cover half or all of it.

Since we have a lot of family with teens and young adults, and do lots of tubing, it is rather easy to burn through gas very quickly with our motor and tubing style.

I find it a nice “opportunity” for someone to pitch in on gas without saying something or asking directly.
We have taken a bunch of people on our boats over the years and they have offered to pay for gas and stuff but we haven't accepted any from anybody. We figure we are going on the boat for a day of fun and relaxation regardless if they are joining us or not. The fact that they are at least "offering" to pay or contribute to expenses is enough for us. Of course they bring food/drinks for the day and we all share with what we bring!!!

Hello All, this is SeaDog SC from Lake Hartwell SC / GA. We have a new 2021 24LXL, took delivery on April 1, hope April Fools day delivery is not an omen...
Love the boat, love the Yamaha 175 Max Sho, but hate that the recent gas fill was a big problem. The boat has just passed 38 hours and the first 2 fuel fills went without issue and the fuel flowed into the tank from the 5 gallon cans without a burp, (I fill on my dock, with boat on a lift). The last fill was taking 15 to 20 minutes to take in 5 gallons, the boat needed about 20 to fill the 28 gallon tank, so roughly an hour to get gas in it! I thought it might be the flapper at end of the fill tube, so rigged a rod to hold that open while filling, did not help. Now I suspect I have a problem with the tank vent, on the L model the fuel tank is above the deck, in the L compartment. There are two vent lines both on top of the tank, one to the stern of the tank one more forward, they join together and go the EPA mandated carbon vent cannister and then the hose exits down a black hole under deck with the battery cables and the fuel line. Where the end of that air vent goes I can't tell, but I don't like that is under the deck where it could be exposed to water, the vacuum caused by using fuel from the tank could be sucking water up into the carbon cannister. Could this be the source of the problem? A secondary concern, is the air vent lines lay flat on top of the tank, I probably overfilled the tank during the second fill, while the boat is on the lift it is level, when it is lowered into the water the stern drops about 10 to 12 degrees from level, which could mean liquid fuel could have gone from the stern fuel air vent line down into the carbon cannister? Could this damage or block the cannister? Anyone had a similar problem or have any suggestions to relieve the issue?
I would 100% say it's because it was overfilled. It is exactly like what happened to my Cadillac, I was topping it right off because we were going on a trip the next day. Dealership was going to charge an arm and a leg to drop tank and change out the canister, I was going to do it myself so was waiting to order parts. Well I waited long enough that the fuel must have evaporated enough or leaked out somehow, fixed itself! Had it for about 1.5-2 years after and never had another issue!

We have taken a bunch of people on our boats over the years and they have offered to pay for gas and stuff but we haven't accepted any from anybody. We figure we are going on the boat for a day of fun and relaxation regardless if they are joining us or not. The fact that they are at least "offering" to pay or contribute to expenses is enough for us. Of course they bring food/drinks for the day and we all share with what we bring!!!
We get LOTS of stretch’s with friends and family and their adult/teen kids. Those stays often turn into heavy duty tubing weekends. Power tubing with 3-4 adults on the Super Mable, and 4-8 people onboard gets pretty insane on gas. In those situations, I am happy to accept gas donations when we are running through a $100+/day for 2-4 days straight with their tubing activities.

Now if its just joining us and guests for leisurely day(s) on the boat, that’s another matter.

Back