Fuel Leak Mystery

john saar

Reaction score
As a longtime happy owner of a 2005 25-footer, I only discovered this fun forum today out of pure necessity. Yesterday I stopped at the fuel dock to top up for the upcoming fireworks show. Noticed immediately that fuel handle seemed to slide in further and easier than ever before. 'They must have changed the nozzle', I thought. Started pumping and gas began streaming immediately at deck level and into the lake (Oops!). Stopped pumping, naturally. The gas gauge was still hovering around the two-thirds full level and fuel was no longer leaking. The fuel pipe and fitting showed no sign of a failure, so I guessed at a major leak or split in the top third of the tank. There was no sign of external damage to the boat fuselage or the parts of the tank I could see. Is it possible that road shock during retrieval from winter storage caused a rupture in the tank?

Anyway, I had been cruising for many hours without leakage prior to this incident, so I elected to make a slow retreat to my home hoist. And there the matter rests. Wonder if anyone has any insights on this incident. Thanks, John.

Well if there is a crack and fuel got out, it is also possible that water got in! I would try to check that before running the engine again.  I guess this also depends on what tank you have (centre fuel, under sundeck, under seat) so that would be helpful info. There should be access points to each fuel line connection so check each of those too.

Are you able to smell any fumes?!? 

Thanks for the responses! The tank is located under the sundeck, portside. There are no fumes and no further leakage visible. Proceeding cautiously, we were able to watch the fireworks afloat and return safely. Will try today to contact Bennington. Absence of responses by other boaters suggests this is not a common problem. Thanks, and cheers, John

Back