Fuel Level Gauge Replacement

mng8r

Reaction score
On our 2013 20SF, the fuel gauge appears to have stopped working. With ignition off, the needle is below E (expected) and with ignition on, the needle goes to F. It has been at F all season. I've disconnected the connector from the back of the gauge and measured the resistance between the pink sending unit wire and black ground wire several times at various times. After boating for a number of hours, I've had readings of 150 ohms, 110 ohms, 80 ohms. After adding fuel, the resistance is ~35 ohms or so. So, I believe the sending unit is working properly and the gauge is faulty.

A couple of questions,
  1. The gauge part number is 781436PDFB and appears to be made by Teleflex. I've searched, but it doesn't look like the part is available. Does anyone know of similar gauges that use the Deutsch connectors or if some dealers would still have these parts?
  2. If I can't find a unit that uses the same factory connector, does anyone have a source for the connector and pins? I'd rather not cut off the factor connector to wire in a gauge using ring connectors.
Thanks,
Ron

There seems to be some out there if you search around. 4-pin, 6-pin etc.

Maybe also contact some marine parts stores and ask the guy, they probably have catalogs in front of them and can source exactly what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Follow-up:
Adding this info in case somebody else needs to solve the same issue. I ended up ordering "Deutsch DT 6-pin Pigtail Kit" and a Faria fuel level gauge from Amazon. Used the socket connector from the pigtail kit, 3 crimp on ring terminals, and one 0.25 female spade connector. Easy job and done in 15 minutes. Would have been faster, but triple checked the connections/schematic to verify the wiring was correct.
I now have a working fuel level gauge again.

Follow-up:
Adding this info in case somebody else needs to solve the same issue. I ended up ordering "Deutsch DT 6-pin Pigtail Kit" and a Faria fuel level gauge from Amazon. Used the socket connector from the pigtail kit, 3 crimp on ring terminals, and one 0.25 female spade connector. Easy job and done in 15 minutes. Would have been faster, but triple checked the connections/schematic to verify the wiring was correct.
Nice job and thanks for reporting back to help others down the road. :cool:

Follow-up:
Thanks for the information! I seem to have the same problem on my 2017 21SSX. Can I ask which color wires were connected to ring terminals and which one to spade terminal? I have exhausted all other attempts as well to try to find an original replacement. I don't know where to get my schematic. Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response.
For the gauge I bought, the spade terminal was for the light, so it was the original blue wire, but was the pigtail's yellow wire.

So, for me:

Pigtail colorOriginal colorTerminal TypePurpose
WhiteBlackringGround
BrownPurpleringIgnition
YellowBlue1/4" spadeLight
GreenPinkringsensor (fuel sending unit)

Sorry for the delayed response.
For the gauge I bought, the spade terminal was for the light, so it was the original blue wire, but was the pigtail's yellow wire.

So, for me:

Pigtail colorOriginal colorTerminal TypePurpose
WhiteBlackringGround
BrownPurpleringIgnition
YellowBlue1/4" spadeLight
GreenPinkringsensor (fuel

Thanks for the information! I had just found my schematic and figured it out, but it’s good to confirm what I thought.

Back