Fuel Separator on Yamaha 90VF?

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
I think my dealer may want to strangle me if I go back a third time with an additional request for my build! However, I think I may need to depending on your answers. There was an option for a stainless steel fuel separator on the Bennington build page. Is that is just an upgrade to an existing fuel separator? Or will I not get one unless I choose that option? Not sure if a fuel separator comes standard on Bennington's or built into Yamaha outboards. A lot of people are saying that you absolutely have to have one, and I'm not sure if my build will. Any insights at all? Thank you!

Last edited:
Several questions there, may be able to help a little bit. Our Yamaha 90F has a small translucent bulb that can capture a small amount of crud/water. It has a float in it to show if something other than fuel is present with out removing it. I check occasionally and have found nothing (have also removed it and checked just to be sure). Not going to speak against a, separate, larger/more effective separator....we have one on our power boat. That one saved some extra work after the o-ring on the filler cap failed. But I doubt I'll add one to the Bennie as bad fuel is not an issue here and our Bennie fuel system seems to be well protected ( I check filler cap seals now too).

If I were buying new, having a good separator is a good option, especially for a pontoon that might be not in a garage most of the time or if using generic marina gas.

Not sure what that option means so check with your dealer.

There is a primary filter/separator on your outboard already, but many people install an additional 10-micron filter outside of the OB for ease of maintenance (spin on/off) and to have additional protection. Even if you have non-ethanol fuel in your area you are still going to get water buildup from the atmosphere so better safe than sorry. If there is ethanol in the fuel then you can get phase separation and of course ethanol breaking down your fuel system introducing more fun bits to the party. An additional filter is cheap insurance IMO.

+1 on what Potomacbassin’ said above. Ours has the additional separator. I think it was standard/required with our 200 Mercury. I think it is cheap insurance on an important aspect of motor health. And no matter what fuel you use, it’s a water craft that is utilized in the summer. Lots of factors, including boat down time, can contribute to a greater liklihood of water/fuel issues. Best to have a better separator, that is additional to what is built into your Yamaha fuel line, that is more accessible. I’d get it If I were in your shoes given the expense of the boat and motor.

This is what I believe you are referring to. Standard equipment would be a black painted aluminum separator. This will be between the tank and the motor. Mounting locations vary from what Ive seen. Under the engine cowling is another small Fuel filter in a clear plastic canister with a float that sets off your water in fuel alarm. Once you get set up carry both a spare fuel filter and fuel water separator on board along with a filter wrench to change the large spin on filter. I carry mine in a $6 plastic ammo can kept under one of the seats.

2DE8E566-E05B-42C7-9D89-26F2CDB3CA87.jpeg

This is what I believe you are referring to. Standard equipment would be a black painted aluminum separator. This will be between the tank and the motor. Mounting locations vary from what Ive seen. Under the engine cowling is another small Fuel filter in a clear plastic canister with a float that sets off your water in fuel alarm. Once you get set up carry both a spare fuel filter and fuel water separator on board along with a filter wrench to change the large spin on filter. I carry mine in a $6 plastic ammo can kept under one of the seats.

View attachment 28156
So you’re saying my build will have a fuel/water separator? I don’t need the stainless steel option on the build page?

Confirm with your dealer. He’s the one who should be answering these questions for you. Someone in the building better know the answer or you need a different dealer! But yes , it should come with one. Stainless is just extra bling.

Confirm with your dealer. He’s the one who should be answering these questions for you. Someone in the building better know the answer or you need a different dealer! But yes , it should come with one. Stainless is just extra bling.
I will. He was off for two days.

Let us know what you find out when you speak to him again. I was wondering the same thing since I saw it on the build sheet. Does it come with one and this is an upgrade or do I need to add this so I have it from the factory?

Im far from an expert but every one Ive seen has the fuel/water separator installed. My comment about you should be asking the dealer meant don’t trust what you read on some forum , verify for yourself so you know for sure.

From my dealer (via Bennington rep):

ME:
Joe, will my boat/motor have a fuel water separator? The web build page offers a ‘stainless steel fuel separator’ as an option, but I’m not sure if my build/motor comes standard with one (if not, I’m reading they are a very important part of keeping the engine running well and would like to add the separator).

REP/BENNINGTON:
Dave, yes this is standard with Yamaha. Stainless Steel separator is only used for salt water application.

So gang, we have our 'official' answer! Thanks for all your input. I am not opting for the stainless steel separator, there is no need in my application.

Excellent! I never think about salt water whenever I think boats. Been a fresh water boater my whole life and it does not compute. I figured extra bling like going from plastic to stainless docking lights.

Back