Fueling Issues

KC_Steve

Reaction score
Does anyone have issues getting fuel into your boat? I have put gas in twice now, and both times it shuts off within a few seconds, and I know the boat is close to empty, or below a 1/2 tank anyways. I have ended up wearing gas the last two times. It doesn't seem to matter how the nossel is placed in, I can set it to the slowest setting, still it shuts off and spews gas out and runs down the side and on me. Now, don't think this should matter, but I was putting gas in on the trailer, and the boat is about as high as the pump is.

Just looking for suggestions, as this is not something I want to deal with everytime I have to put in gas.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I would look for a problem with the venting of the tank, although it's a new boat and I would let the dealer handle it. I had the same problem when we got ours and there was a slight bend in the vent hose which I straightened and all was fine. I still had to put the fuel in slow but it didn't click off.

Steve, every boat i have owned [only 3] and my 2 sea-doo's fuel slowly, that has to do with the venting. But fuel sprayback is a safety issue, so definetly speak with your dealer, or as Carl suggested, take a look at the vent hose routing making sure there are no kinks or a hose pinched.

As has been said before, Bennington buys fuel fill and hose from an outside supplier, and every different configuration will be a "custom" fit. Sometimes what works on the test unit doesn't work on every production unit, and a little tweaking may be needed.

Wasn't there another thread on this exact same thing a couple weeks ago? You might want to look for that. It was pretty lengthy as I recall...

Thanks Spinzone! That was just what I was looking for! Much appreciated!

Steve

Bingo, I just found out I have the same problem with my new benny. It took about 15 mins to pump 15 gal of fuel, the pump just kept clicking off. I never got a face full of fuel because I coldn't pump enough gas. One thing did happen during our shakedown run. When we returned to the dock I was on the back of the toon getting ready to tie up and when I looked down I thought the wife left the tie down floating in the water still tied to the cleat of the boat. My first thought was I got lucky that it didnt get into the prop, when I reached down to grab it I realized that there were two lines there, than I realized that it was not a docking line it was what I believe to be the fuel line and engine control line.They ran up to the motor\, but there was enough slack in those lines to get right to the prop if a turn to starboard was made. I don`t know if this is a factory issue or a dealer issue as to who left so much slack in the lines without properly tying them up. I coiled the lines up and zip tied them through the inspection port on the stern. That scared the crap out of us, we boat in the upper niagara river and our dock is about 2 miles upstream of niagara falls. We could have gotten bigger headlines than wallenda. Other than that we love the boat, no buyer regret whatsoever.

This is a reference to the previous post, I took a pic at the gas dock and you can see the fuel lines hanging in the rear, this was an hour before we docked and there was more hanging out by that time.I posted a pic in my gallery look down on the starboard side on the stern.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a reference to the previous post, I took a pic at the gas dock and you can see the fuel lines hanging in the rear, this was an hour before we docked and there was more hanging out by that time.I posted a pic in my gallery look down on the starboard side on the stern.
Having trouble seeing the hanging lines in your picture (kind of dark), but we need to know about this, thanks. Both Bennington and the dealer have responsibility for tightening harnesses, cables, electrical lines, etc. during manufacturing and during the rigging process.

Fuel filling can be stifled by a clogged vent, a bend or kink in the fuel fill line, or several other small issues. Club members are very helpful in giving "trouble-shooting" tips. Your dealer is also an excellent resource. Thanks, TB

Having trouble seeing the hanging lines in your picture (kind of dark), but we need to know about this, thanks. Both Bennington and the dealer have responsibility for tightening harnesses, cables, electrical lines, etc. during manufacturing and during the rigging process.

Fuel filling can be stifled by a clogged vent, a bend or kink in the fuel fill line, or several other small issues. Club members are very helpful in giving "trouble-shooting" tips. Your dealer is also an excellent resource. Thanks, TB
If there is a e-mail available to send the original pic to I can do that. Thanks for the reply..

Back