Fueling

Coach Brian

Reaction score
I am not able to fill my pontoon with fuel completely. It will only allow about 13 gallons. Any suggestions on what could be the problem

I am not able to fill my pontoon with fuel completely. It will only allow about 13 gallons. Any suggestions on what could be the problem

What year and model do you have? New or older boat? Size fuel tank (they vary considerable)? These details will help some of the other experts better provide some good starting point trouble shooting advice.

I know there are a bunch of great solutions here, but I would like to add what I know too, since this was very frustrating on our boat when we had to get gas. It finally reached the point where it really needed a solid solution for our 2013 22SSX when it took a combination of the fuel-dock guys, me, plus service tech guys 45 minutes to add just 4 gallons of gas to our half-full 30-gallon tank because the pump kept kicking off. My dealer had never seen anything like this. I did some online research, the dealer tried some things, then the dealer finally contacted Bennington to get a final solution.

I'm extremely pleased to say that has been multiple years ago now, and no fuel-fill problems have ever since come back to plague us.

Apparently, Bennington determined our particular boat was equipped with a simple Attwood Marine filler, but the overflow spring/cap assembly component had a spring tension that was too strong so it was causing splash-backs in the filler neck that caused the pump to keep kicking off. Sometimes (by chance) the fuel would go in a little better, depending on multiple concurrent variables (angle, flow rate, ...), but the solution was a simple new spring/cap with a lower tension strength. I also found out that apparently different models, and different years, might have different fuel fills, so your results may vary.

There are several great solutions here - so if you do have any fuel-fill issues, know there is hope. Good luck!

Back