Full Faux Teak Flooring

G

Geewest

I was intrested in ordering a new boat a full Teak Floor.

The idea was to have the teak floor continue from the back of the boat threw the entire boat.

Currentley Bennington does not offer this as a option.

But i have been told they were willing to let me add it for a 10k up charge !!!!

I think thats a pretty steep up charge. I see other pontoon boats are offering full teak floors. It seems like in a few years full teak floors will be more comon and you wont have to pay threw the nose to get it.

I think this would be a popular option. Just wondering what you thought.

How much do you think a full teak floor should go for?

And would you get it??

I wouldn't, but that is mostly because I think it looks awesome as an accent. A full boat of it is just too much for me. I looked up pictures of pontoons that have it and it does have really clean lines but to me it also makes the boat look less comfortable. I don't know what it is.

I prefer it as an accent also. We were originally concerned about how well the teak would hold up but from everything I have read, that is not an issue. We also like the comfort and look of the snap-in carpet.

I think a Snap In Carpet option for the Faux Teak floor would be what I would do.

Hi guys,

Delayed response here! Bennington does use PlasTeak, a recycled plastic product that has many exceptional attributes for a marine application. It is actually as good as or better than real teak, but it does carry the same cost as real teak (sorry!) You will see our competitors using a lesser quality product at a cheaper price. Below are some facts about PlasTeak. (It must be applied with a special bonding agent and cannot be applied to a fiberglass platform.) TB

 PlasTeak is virtually maintenance free

 PlasTeak does not splinter, crack, chip, absorb moisture or rot

 PlasTeak is resistant to salt and acids and bacteria

 PlasTeak is unaffected by termites, rodents, worms, marine parasites, or other insects

 PlasTeak does not leech or bleed toxins or carcinogens into the soil or marine ecology

 PlasTeak is resistant to UV and mold and mildew

 PlasTeak is easy to clean

PlasTeak flooring is extremely durable and rated for marine use. ‘No Maintenance’ attributes apply to this exterior wood-alternative product; simply hose down with soapy water. The soft texture provides good footing and stubborn stains can be removed with a fine grit sandpaper.

(It must be applied with a special bonding agent and cannot be applied to a fiberglass platform.)
AAAAAAH! That means I can't put it on my swim platform like I wanted. Maybe that's why the dealer still hasn't responded to me on it. Oh well. Maybe I'll carpet the swim platform instead. HA! :p

Here are some pictures of 2 diffrent products. The first one is called FlexyTeak

DSC00720.jpg

This one is called Deck King

DSC00719.jpg

I cant speak for PlasTeak but Nu-Teak, Flexy Teak, and Deck King can all be glued down to a fiberglass floors or swim deck.

I think TB may have some wrong information. Im 99% sure it can be applyed to a fiberglass platform. I can show you MANY examples of fiberglass platforms with Faux teak

I cant speak for PlasTeak but Nu-Teak, Flexy Teak, and Deck King can all be glued down to a fiberglass floors or swim deck.

I think TB may have some wrong information. Im 99% sure it can be applyed to a fiberglass platform. I can show you MANY examples of fiberglass platforms with Faux teak
Let us stand corrected. You would be unable to adhere this decking to OUR fiberglass swim platform, since we use a raised, non-skid surface. To do it right, you would want an inset, smooth fiberglass surface! B) TB

Yes I was told some what of the same thing. Many fiberglass decks have the raised traction on the fiberglass deck's Not sure if that traction needs to be sanded flat or ground down I was told the Raised "B" (bennington logo) on the deck would need to be ground flat. I would think the raised traction on the swim deck would help the glue grab. The the in between sections of the traction are shiny and smooth. Im sure what the glue needs is a rough no shiney surface surface.

Here are some examples of some Fiberglass Swim decks with Faux Teak

Im sure this boat had the same sort of traction on the rear deck as the factory fiberglass Bennington

4WinnsHoriz220.gif

Antaris720_svg.gif

One thing I did Notice about the Bennington Factory Faux Teak (plas Teak) is that it's pretty smooth. It kinda gives it away that it's Faux Teak right away (To Me) The Flexy Teak and Nu Teak and Deck King all have some what of a rough surface Very close to what real teak feels like. You can see some of the "Grain" in the sample of the Photos I took. It gives the Faux teak a more real look and softer feel. I have been doing quite a bit of research on the diffrent Faux Teaks out there for some other boat projects and I have been collecting and testing samples.

I wouldn't, but that is mostly because I think it looks awesome as an accent. A full boat of it is just too much for me. I looked up pictures of pontoons that have it and it does have really clean lines but to me it also makes the boat look less comfortable. I don't know what it is.
Also another side note. The way the floor is installed can have Everything to do with the way it looks and how real it looks. Ill explain. If you just lay the floor down it looks like this.

Note the edges, They are called "Margins" They box the floor in and give it a more real look. Here is a example of a floor with "Margins"

You know, there's probably nothing stopping you from using real teak boards, carriage bolts and fender washers (Stainless of course) to bolt down REAL teak on your swim deck.

It would take time, care and no little amount of craftsmanship, but there's nothing really stopping you. If you did, I would suggest using plastic or urethane spacers to raise the wood slight in order to allow for air drying and runoff.

Yeah, I know...

I always have to default to the Tim Allen approach. :p

The whole idea for using Faux Teak is to get away from the care that Real Teak takes. I have a small swim platform on my other boat and it takes quite a bit of work to keep it looking nice.

Sure you can slap some teak oil on it and give it a Shalack look and feal but IMO thats not how teak should look, but to each his own.

Hey, I'm just sayin'... :D

I was thinking about using faux teak on the back deck of my pontoon, but I heard that it gets really hot in the sun. Anyone have experience with this?

Clark the stuff i have seen and played with ( Nu-teak and Flexy Teak) dosent get hot. I would like to know what people with factory Faux teak (plas-teak) have to say.

I noticed that the Factory Teak is much smoother and more closed then the other 2 brands I talked about. Dont know

If that has any factor. I wouldnt mind getting a sample piece of the factory Plas-teak and doing a side by side Heat test to see if one holds more heat than the other.

This information would be good to know if you were thinking about a full Faux teak floor.

Clark the stuff i have seen and played with ( Nu-teak and Flexy Teak) dosent get hot. I would like to know what people with factory Faux teak (plas-teak) have to say.

I noticed that the Factory Teak is much smoother and more closed then the other 2 brands I talked about. Dont know

If that has any factor. I wouldnt mind getting a sample piece of the factory Plas-teak and doing a side by side Heat test to see if one holds more heat than the other.

This information would be good to know if you were thinking about a full Faux teak floor.

We have the option and it does get warm in direct sunlight for long periods of time. It not unbearable or anything but the little ones have "tip toe'd" across it getting in or off the boat.

A quick splash of some water from the lake is all it takes.

Hope this helps

Todd

Back