G model vs S model....

job511

Reaction score
Questions about model selection   G vs. S

Looking @ 2275 GS vs. 22 SSX ...... I have the brochure so knows the difference in standard option.....

Base price diff is about 7-8k.  By the time I upgrade SSX to make it look more like G model......ie docking light, captain seat, teak table, full nutmeg aqua teak flooring, diamond press pillow top, custom wheel, kicker speaker, garmin 100 etc, I am still about 4k better in my pocket. Yes I realize 22SSX can't do ESP and can't go bigger than F175.........thinking SPS with f150 here.......the brochure does mention 24' on center cross channel on the SSX instead of 16" on the G model.....is this important?

Would I benefit going with F175 ($2000 upgrade)?

Here's the pkg with 22 SSX.....

-SPS with F150, shield, lifting strakes, foil plus hydraulic steering, bow gate seat, 2 cup holder, upgrade captain seat (G model), 2 teak table, full nutmeg aqua teak flooring, diamond press pillow top, custom wheel, kicker spear, Garmin 100, docking light, port a poti, ski pylon, ext aft deck, PDI, delivery, mooring pkg, safety pkg, 1 year service plus winterization, double bimini, full tank gas, license.

Total 47750 + tax (13% here in Canada....  :eek: )

Or should I go with the G model ......which is same option as above (some came standard) $51800 + tax.

Could the dealer do better with the pricing either SSX or GS model?

thanks in advance for your input....

PS..dealer quoted me to upgrage to F200 will be another $4000....sucks when Canadian $ dropped last 2 month... :(

Look at them both. Side by side, the S-series is an Aveo. The G-series is a Cobalt and the R-series is a Taurus.

There IS a difference. You get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: I am a proud R-series owner.

Do you mean construction wise?  Brochure seems to indicate under the platform pretty much the same other than the 16" vs 24" cross channel.  what kind of difference does this make if you don't mind sharing ( this was my original question) 

The seat is better as the model goes up and display of helm is better which I agree.  However is it worthwhile for a wkn boater?

I was in the exact same situation, practically begging the dealer to upsell me to a G model instead of an S.  But he could only get me about 11% off MSRP on the G model, but over 20% off on the S.  That price difference drove me to get the S and I've never looked back -- I'm VERY happy.  If I look to change boats a number of years down the road I'll probably get an R model with ESP, but that's a different story....... 

As a previous owner of a 2013,22 SLX and a current owner of a 2014 ,23 RCW there are other differences besides the cross channels .

Panels ,rail,helm etc .If you are close to a dealer ( or a show ) spend some time and look them over .

There was absolutely nothing wrong with our SLX ,I was infected with P.A.D.s and was able to get a great deal on the new .

And as many have said here before ,"Buy your last boat first " 

Last edited by a moderator:
S-series boat are built with 24" on center cross members below deck. G-series on up have 16" on center.

Opinions vary as to whether this makes for a stronger boat.

Yes the S series is 24 on centers only on the midship cross channels, they are 16 on the stern section. The only thing you would be gaining is a little more rigidity on the two toon models and maybe a slight difference on a tritoon. but i belive you would never know the difference. 

Mine seems pretty rigid with 24" spacing. I haven't noticed any sag when lifting the outer toon out of the water during a spirited turn.

thanks for the input guys....with wave shield I probably wouldn't look too hard underneath. <_<

Does the price list in the 1st post look reasonable??  Any other must have options I should consider?  Many have mentioned power assist steering....with only 150hp, I think I will give myself a workout lol  no need to renew gym membership huh?

IMHO the G series helm looks much better, it also has a larger underneath storage area. The seat bases are also vinyl covered on the G series and above..... it's all a personal thing.

Steve

Yes, I like the helm of G model better too, that is why I am upgrading the chair and the wheel.......

What's on the seat bases of the S model?

$48k for an S with 150 sounds pretty high. My boat was $20k. Motor was $13k. Trailer was $3k. Tax on top of that. That was a new 2012 bought fall of 2011.

If you are thinking about the 200 ,do it now . It will be a lot more than 4k to upgrade later .

$48 does sound high for an S 

Molded plastic. The g+ bases look a lot nicer.
For me I agree they may look a tad nicer but I do like the plastic also. And the reason for that is that I see it as being more durable, less vinyl to damage. 

Kaydano you bought with a 115HP originally just to teach us the cost of aftermarket upgrade as I am doing now adding the Express Tube package :) .  Other option is PADS which many on this forum can attest to.   Some have upgraded for more horsepower and some have upgraded for more luxury and some have upgraded for a better look.  Anytime you move from S to G to R to Q there is an upgrade in the luxury and the look.  The seats are deeper and more comfortable as you go up the line, the look of the elevated helm is quite an upgrade IMO, the sports arch is so sharp looking.

When buying a boat most of us know the limit of what we want to spend.  At that point each has to determine where that money goes; horsepower, luxury or look and then spend it wisely.  Once that is done then you can spend the next few years wishing you had bought the 150 instead of that sluggish 115 - Damn It!

Ha ha good post Mark!

Just to clarify, my first motor was $10k. The 150 is $13k (full retail price). At the time you buy the boat, it's a $3k upgrade. Trading in later, it's around $5k upgrade.

I just asked my dealer about bumping up to  a 200 .Not cost effective at all 

All 3 tubes and the wave shield would have to be pulled to change the controls .

I would be less just to get a new boat ,to gain 5 mph .

When I changed the original order from the Express to the SPS ,150 was the max on the Express ,I didn't think about the upgrade to a 200 .

Oh Well 

After having both I prefer the carpeted base .

I also treat them with the 303 Fabric Guard when I do the carpet  .

Back