Garmin 95 on 2011 2274 GLI

Boatingbob

Reaction score
I bought a 2011 Bennington 2274 GLi two weeks ago. Brand new boat. It came with a Garmin 95, which the Garmin people just told us has not been made since 2003. Is this appropriate? Clearly it was discontinued 8 years ago. Probably for a good reason I would think.

What do you think my position should be with the dealer?

Thanks.

Boatingbob

I would figure Bennington got a great deal on closeout of that model.

I went back to the website and studied the specs on your boat. They list a depthfinder in the specs, they just don't tell you it is an older generation one. Even though it is older, it gets the basic job done.

There was an option listed for a newer GPS unit with color graphics. I don't know offhand which model it might be.

The dealer might be willing to upgrade on your boat since it is new. That would be something you would have to take up with him/her.

By the way, mine came with the same Garmin 95 as yours. After my outing this weekend, I am looking for something better as well. I am looking into those GPS navigational models. From what I am reading, they show the underwater contours and channels. This would be a huge asset in a strange lake. It would even be nice on home lakes if yours is like mine. I have never seen it this low and there are things there that don't show up in normal years.

One thing to realize in electronics. The moment you buy the latest and the best, they come out with something new and yours is now obsolete.

Good luck.

andy

I bought a 2011 Bennington 2274 GLi two weeks ago. Brand new boat. It came with a Garmin 95, which the Garmin people just told us has not been made since 2003. Is this appropriate? Clearly it was discontinued 8 years ago. Probably for a good reason I would think.

What do you think my position should be with the dealer?

Thanks.

Boatingbob
My new 2574 GLi came with a Garmin 95 also, but I cannot complain, I negotiated it as a no cost add on. Might need to think whether I want to install it or look for a better unit though.

As for you, it is a depth finder, and if it works ok and is a new unit, I don't think you really have a complaint. There are alot of parts on a boat, or a car for that matter, that were not necessarily just made last week. Now the engine, that would be a different thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were made last week, I would be delighted. However, it was discontinued 8 years ago according to Garmin.

I would figure Bennington got a great deal on closeout of that model.

I went back to the website and studied the specs on your boat. They list a depthfinder in the specs, they just don't tell you it is an older generation one. Even though it is older, it gets the basic job done.

There was an option listed for a newer GPS unit with color graphics. I don't know offhand which model it might be.

The dealer might be willing to upgrade on your boat since it is new. That would be something you would have to take up with him/her.

By the way, mine came with the same Garmin 95 as yours. After my outing this weekend, I am looking for something better as well. I am looking into those GPS navigational models. From what I am reading, they show the underwater contours and channels. This would be a huge asset in a strange lake. It would even be nice on home lakes if yours is like mine. I have never seen it this low and there are things there that don't show up in normal years.

One thing to realize in electronics. The moment you buy the latest and the best, they come out with something new and yours is now obsolete.

Good luck.

andy

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I tend too agree with you. I wonder what the story behind this is. TB any help here? I have the 95 on my boat and really don't like it. IMHO it's pretty worthless as a fish finder and I have a fishing model. But I knew it was a basic model when I bought the boat. I am looking at other options and will post on here when I figure out what I'm going to switch too.

I continue to research. It appears fact that:

Garmin sys they quit manufcturing in 2003.

Bennington says they continued to place in their new boats until last couple weeks or so.

My conclusion: Someone, Bennington or Garmin, warehoused a lot of these for 8+ years and distributed them as "current" after Garmin had declared them "Discontinued."

If I am inaccurate, someone should tell me. These statements are based on what Garmin and Bennington have told me in the last 24 hours.

Bob

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I tend too agree with you. I wonder what the story behind this is. TB any help here? I have the 95 on my boat and really don't like it. IMHO it's pretty worthless as a fish finder and I have a fishing model. But I knew it was a basic model when I bought the boat. I am looking at other options and will post on here when I figure out what I'm going to switch too.

Garmin sells an entire group of products to OEMs that consumers never see on the shelf. If you called the consumer line, you probably received misinformation about OEM products. The Garmin FS95 has just been discontinued (within the last 2 months). We will continue to supply replacement units until we can no longer get them from Garmin. The Garmin FS95 has been replaced with the new Garmin Echo 100. 2012 Bennington units built after August 1st will have a clean transition to the Echo 100. (The mounting and cut-outs are dissimilar to the FS95.)

The Garmin products are reliable and trustworthy and we are proud to offer them on our boats. As always, customers have the ability to upgrade with a customized dealer installation or with Bennington's choice of the Garmin Depth/GPS unit. Many serious fishermen prefer to upgrade with a customized unit that offers more detail and functionality.

Thanks and good luck on the water. TB

Last edited:
Hmmmm I wonder what happens if my Garmin 95 shoots craps while under warranty. Will the Echo 100 match up with the transducer? My boat is underskinned so replacing the transducer could be a major job. :eek:

Hmmmm I wonder what happens if my Garmin 95 shoots craps while under warranty. Will the Echo 100 match up with the transducer? My boat is underskinned so replacing the transducer could be a major job. :eek:
I would suspect Bennington is keeping a few new units around for warranty replacements. If not, I bet they would upgrade you to the newer one, they state they take care of the warranty issues for everything, and don't just send you to the original parts manufacturer.

My understanding, and I hope someone will correct me if wrong, that Bennington will fix anything above deck for 5 years post purchase.

Bob

I would suspect Bennington is keeping a few new units around for warranty replacements. If not, I bet they would upgrade you to the newer one, they state they take care of the warranty issues for everything, and don't just send you to the original parts manufacturer.

My understanding, and I hope someone will correct me if wrong, that Bennington will fix anything above deck for 5 years post purchase.

Bob
New boats, five years bow to stern warranty.

Back