Gas Fumes In ESP Center Storage compartment

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I have an issue that maybe some others have noticed.I noticed Last year every time we opened the cover to get things out of the center storage compartment on our ESP there are always raw gas fumes lingering from the day we brought it home. Yesterday I got mine out of storage and was crawling around under the playpen cover and opened up the ESP storage compartment cover and was almost overcome by raw gas fumes.

Maybe TB can chime in here. Where is the fuel tank vent as I also have the in tube fuel cell option? I do not notice a physical gas leak or pooled gas but figured it is possibly a tank vent issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please sent us the hull id and we will research this issue for you via our engineering department. Thanks for the notification. TB

I have the same issue!

Damn, just found out the BAD thing about this site, I'm finding out about issues I might have before my boat is even finished building!! ARGGHH!!HAHA

Derrick

Over seventy thousand registered Benningtons and VERY FEW issues. When we find one and fix it, it makes us even stronger. TB had in-floor fuel on a demo last summer in 100 degree weather/covered when not in use...no fuel smell whatsoever. Thanks, TB

Last edited:
I have an issue that maybe some others have noticed.I noticed Last year every time we opened the cover to get things out of the center storage compartment on our ESP there are always raw gas fumes lingering from the day we brought it home. Yesterday I got mine out of storage and was crawling around under the playpen cover and opened up the ESP storage compartment cover and was almost overcome by raw gas fumes.

Maybe TB can chime in here. Where is the fuel tank vent as I also have the in tube fuel cell option? I do not notice a physical gas leak or pooled gas but figured it is possibly a tank vent issue.
Hi Wild and Free,

Plastic fuel tanks are permiable and our engineers say that some fuel vapor smell is normal, but you should take the boat to your dealer to have the fuel cell tested. The gas vent is in the fuel cap. We have had ZERO in-tube tank failures thus far. The EPA has recently written new regulations for marine fuel tanks that include a reduction in the amount of allowable permiation. All manufacturers are changing fuel tanks/systems to become compliant. (This is not a retroactive change.) Bennington began the process with the S series fuel system last fall and will be addressing Q, R and G series systems this coming year.

We encourage you and all of our customers to visit your dealer with any perceived service issues so we can support the dealer in getting you satisfactory results! Thank you, TB

Please sent us the hull id and we will research this issue for you via our engineering department. Thanks for the notification. TB
I sent the hull ID # to you via pm.

Bill

Back