Gas Smell - 2012 Bennington R2575 - New Boat owner

Suprtck007

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought this boat and love the rear lounge chairs but the one on the right is right by this vent (seems like it is just venting the space under the seat because that's where the gas tank is) that has a bad gas smell sometime so much that you don't want to sit in that chair. I can't believe that is can be normal. I should also say that the gas fill cap is on that side of the boat and there is a what I think to be a gas vent beside that. I have some friends that have a Bennington and I can't remember smelling gas anywhere on their boat.

The only thing I could think of is there are some rubber gaskets on the gas tank that look questionable and maybe they are letting some gas fumes out.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 24
I don't think it is normal. I have a 2011 2275 GCW with rear facing lounge seats. The one on the port side is over the gas tank and I don't smell anything. The backrest on my seat is held on with Velcro so removing it makes my gas tank somewhat accessible. You may want to see if you can get into yours for an inspection of the fill tube and vent hoses. If not, I think you should have your dealer look at it. Strong gasoline vapors are obviously a very serious hazard.

IF ,the original owner used street gas with ethanol and did not treat it ,you could have deteriorating gaskets / seals ,hoses somewhere .

Last edited:
There are 2 things like this on top of the gas tank and the gaskets look dry rotted. I was thinking this might be the source.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 19
Its possible . You could start with replacing those

Hi, I just bought this boat and love the rear lounge chairs but the one on the right is right by this vent (seems like it is just venting the space under the seat because that's where the gas tank is) that has a bad gas smell sometime so much that you don't want to sit in that chair. I can't believe that is can be normal. I should also say that the gas fill cap is on that side of the boat and there is a what I think to be a gas vent beside that. I have some friends that have a Bennington and I can't remember smelling gas anywhere on their boat.

The only thing I could think of is there are some rubber gaskets on the gas tank that look questionable and maybe they are letting some gas fumes out.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
We have a 2012 GCW with rear lounge seats and have not had a problem smelling gas. Might want to have that checked out.

It's also possible the previous owner spilled gas on the seats when fueling. Might be possible to get the smell out with some effort.

Welcome! Maybe contact your local dealer to see if they have dealt with an issue like this before. Keep us posted!

I thought I would try here again. I took it to a dealer and they said there wasn't anything they could do. I had a friend suggest installing a charcoal or carbon canister..any one with any suggestions about that?

I thought I would try here again. I took it to a dealer and they said there wasn't anything they could do. I had a friend suggest installing a charcoal or carbon canister..any one with any suggestions about that?
Yikes! What exactly did the dealer say about it? Normal?? I think I’d be contacting Bennington directly.

Back