Getting closer to being in the water

The steps are permanent, but we removed 1 cause it was in the water. The dock will move up and down in 6" increments once its installed

Finally got the big boat in the water.  Got to the house Sunday to late to launch.  Monday morning get up early and looked at the weather.  Supposed to be ok until late afternoon.  At 8:30 first thunderstorm hits.  I choose to run into town to order the metal roofing for the garage.  6 miles from the lake not a drop of rain.  Get back and at 11 the next cell hits.  We go to town to the lumberyard.  Back to house and at 2 huge storm hits and we lose power for 3.5 hours.  Jill gets a card table and Yahtzee out and we play on the porch til we are getting wet.  We come inside and play using flashlights.  Fortunately, you can still have cocktails during a power outage.  We had planned on coming home Monday but the kids are coming down this weekend with friends and the boat has not been in the water this year.  We stayed the night and Tuesday morning was a nice morning.  We towed the boat to the ramp and uncovered it.  We had cleaned a ton of mold and mildew from the upholstery a month ago and were worried it might be back.  The seats were in great shape.  Turned the batteries on and #1 had no volts and #2 had less than 8 volts.  On the I/O, the batteries are in the engine bay and the lid is raised by an electric ram.  I have had this before and know how to hot wire the ram with a jump box.  I find my paper clips and run back to the house to get the jump box. Get the hatch raised and my box won't start it.  Cousins were home and borrowed his box and tools and got enough amps to get the engine started.  We drove and left the engine running while eating lunch and found a empty covered slip and treated the upholstery with Marine 31 mildew protection.  We ran the engine for 1.5 hours.  We have never run the engine that long in a stretch and it liked it.  The engine has had a stutter in it at 3000 rpm since I have had it.  I have had the Mercury mechanic put it on the machine and no problems.   I think running it that long cleaned the injectors because it is smooth at all rpm's now.  That was the best news of the day,  The lake was beautiful, the water is back to full pool and we saw maybe 5 boats all day.  Got trailered , pulled the starting battery and 1.5 hour round trip later, replaced battery, covered boat and headed home.  

I had forgotten how much fun that boat is to drive. We come out from an island at speed and a boat was crossing our path.  I just locked the wheel and 90 degree turn in an instant. I looked like the Bennington video.

Summer has officially started for us. 

Our lake in Ohio is still 9' low.  We need rain. At night :D   

Last edited by a moderator:

Finally got the big boat in the water.  Got to the house Sunday to late to launch.  Monday morning get up early and looked at the weather.  Supposed to be ok until late afternoon.  At 8:30 first thunderstorm hits.  I choose to run into town to order the metal roofing for the garage.  6 miles from the lake not a drop of rain.  Get back and at 11 the next cell hits.  We go to town to the lumberyard.  Back to house and at 2 huge storm hits and we lose power for 3.5 hours.  Jill gets a card table and Yahtzee out and we play on the porch til we are getting wet.  We come inside and play using flashlights.  Fortunately, you can still have cocktails during a power outage.  We had planned on coming home Monday but the kids are coming down this weekend with friends and the boat has not been in the water this year.  We stayed the night and Tuesday morning was a nice morning.  We towed the boat to the ramp and uncovered it.  We had cleaned a ton of mold and mildew from the upholstery a month ago and were worried it might be back.  The seats were in great shape.  Turned the batteries on and #1 had no volts and #2 had less than 8 volts.  On the I/O, the batteries are in the engine bay and the lid is raised by an electric ram.  I have had this before and know how to hot wire the ram with a jump box.  I find my paper clips and run back to the house to get the jump box. Get the hatch raised and my box won't start it.  Cousins were home and borrowed his box and tools and got enough amps to get the engine started.  We drove and left the engine running while eating lunch and found a empty covered slip and treated the upholstery with Marine 31 mildew protection.  We ran the engine for 1.5 hours.  We have never run the engine that long in a stretch and it liked it.  The engine has had a stutter in it at 3000 rpm since I have had it.  I have had the Mercury mechanic put it on the machine and no problems.   I think running it that long cleaned the injectors because it is smooth at all rpm's now.  That was the best news of the day,  The lake was beautiful, the water is back to full pool and we saw maybe 5 boats all day.  Got trailered , pulled the starting battery and 1.5 hour round trip later, replaced battery, covered boat and headed home.  

I had forgotten how much fun that boat is to drive. We come out from an island at speed and a boat was crossing our path.  I just locked the wheel and 90 degree turn in an instant. I looked like the Bennington video.

Great story and a beautiful boat!

Glad it all worked out.

Great looking seawall mtudb and a great looking boat Remediation.  Wow can't believe how much I missed with just being away 1 week

Thanks Link.  That boat is 7 years old and was rode really hard as a Nashville Boat club boat for 4 years.  It still gets people attention when we pull to the docks.  Bennington style gets peoples' attention. I think the I/O  and the exhaust sound is part of it.  I can only imagine what people think when a 28' Q pulls in with the 8.2L

Great Story.  Boat is beautiful.....

I'm in officially on July 4th.  Weather wasn't great that week but we did get out on the Benny about 4 days.   Now we need some warm weather.  Plan on being up north every weekend from now til ????

New pics of finished seawall and dock are in my gallery.  Hope everyone is doing well. 

Todd

mtudb just looked again, that is a great visual documentation of the construction.  I like the look of the seawall.  We had to do something with our Association dock this spring as well.  The regulating district no longer will approve man made walls opting instead for a more natural look to prevent erosion thus we had to go with rip rap.  Nothing natural looking about that, I think the seawall such as yours is a much better look. 

Back