Good news bad news

Steelbreeze

Reaction score
Hi everyone first good news. The rerouting of vapor vent line initially has the results I was hoping for. After the water in gas tank ingress stranding me twice the moving of vent from under deck to rear top of livewell has shown signs of resolving issue. Ran it 10 hours since then under load towing run tight turns WOT etc and my separator filter dump was all 89 octane. I put a ballon on the male tip of the now disconnected original under deck vent coupling and inside of the ballon was wet after running the boat so for peace of mind I feel pretty good we are dialed in on permanent fix. I would suggest if anyone has those issues the vapor vent line needs to be at least a foot of height before it goes back down to the tank to prevent this “backflushing”. See images of original disconnected vent coupling and new back of livewell station mount

429FCEBD-3CDD-4F99-945A-60DEA6B60239.jpegC5703C6C-70FE-4382-AD5F-7EFBA3F357E3.jpeg37B90537-B826-409F-90A0-3C07493706F4.jpeg

I came across your thread here and maybe I’m having the same issue you were having. We’ll be out on the boat running fine then all of a sudden the motor will act like someone pulled one of the plugs. We have a 2006 2050RL with a Yamaha 115 on it. After the motor sits a little while after turning it off it will run fine. It only seems to happen if we’re out for a longer ride than normal (like 30 minutes). I’m wondering if something is in the fuel tank and is getting into the motor after it runs awhile. I’m thinking of having an external fuel/water separator installed. The motor is only about 3 years old. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

if there is no inline separator filter on there now i would suggest you do add one. if you take the cowling off there is a small separator filter with float sensor that may also need dumped, if your accumulating water I would aslo look underneath to see where vapor vent line vents to. mine would just crap out becuse too much water accumlated, any audible alarms happening from engine?

Hi everyone first good news. The rerouting of vapor vent line initially has the results I was hoping for. After the water in gas tank ingress stranding me twice the moving of vent from under deck to rear top of livewell has shown signs of resolving issue. Ran it 10 hours since then under load towing run tight turns WOT etc and my separator filter dump was all 89 octane. I put a ballon on the male tip of the now disconnected original under deck vent coupling and inside of the ballon was wet after running the boat so for peace of mind I feel pretty good we are dialed in on permanent fix. I would suggest if anyone has those issues the vapor vent line needs to be at least a foot of height before it goes back down to the tank to prevent this “backflushing”. See images of original disconnected vent coupling and new back of livewell station mount

View attachment 31084View attachment 31085View attachment 31086
What model is this happening too and where is the gas tank?
just wondering if my boat will have the same issue.

if there is no inline separator filter on there now i would suggest you do add one. if you take the cowling off there is a small separator filter with float sensor that may also need dumped, if your accumulating water I would aslo look underneath to see where vapor vent line vents to. mine would just crap out becuse too much water accumlated, any audible alarms happening from engine?
Are you meaning the cowling on the motor itself? No audible alarms from the engine at all. The vapor vent line is something that is coming off the fuel tank itself, right? My plan is to have an inline separator filter installed. Thanks for the response.

Are you meaning the cowling on the motor itself? No audible alarms from the engine at all. The vapor vent line is something that is coming off the fuel tank itself, right? My plan is to have an inline separator filter installed. Thanks for the response.
100% get that in line filter installed. I am surprised it doesnt’ have one on there already. Fingers crossed this helps. However, if water is getting into the fuel system, finding how and preventing it will be important. Sorry you are having these issues. Good luck to you in resolving them.

What model is this happening too and where is the gas tank?
just wondering if my boat will have the same issue.
My boat is a 22LSAPG tritoon with Yamaha 175 vmax sho engine. Separator filter with sensor should be under cowling on right side of engine. Tank is inside the middle log in front of transom bulkhead

My boat is a 22LSAPG tritoon with Yamaha 175 vmax sho engine. Separator filter with sensor should be under cowling on right side of engine. Tank is inside the middle log in front of transom bulkhead
Ugh, I have a 22ssxapg sitting at dealer waiting for 150. I’m wondering if I will have the same issue.

Well having gone the it I can give anyone the full details. Let me know and we can talk live if warranted. Be more than happy to help anyone benefit from my experiences here

Back