Got my toon!

Mike Hill

Reaction score
Got mine, Been out twice. Very pleased. 2574 express package, 150hp yamaha.

Mine has lifting strakes only on the center tube ( express package ) which is shorter than the 2 outside pontoons which have no lifting strakes.

went thru about 6 hrs from 1000rpm to 3000 rpm, before finally for a short period ramping up thru 4000rpm and 5000rpm.

2 persons - 36mph

5 persons - 32mph

5 persons - 4000rpm, cruises well at 22mph.

Turns good, handles well. Probably wouldnt go up to the ESP package unless I wanted higher speeds with more hp, such as moving up to 250hp, in 2574, I would go ESP

The boat handles well, rode very nice over waves from barge, and I cant say anything negative, I had reviewed performance test on yamaha outboard motor site and I wouldnt change anything, I see no reason to go to ESP package unless you want 200+ hp, and top speeds around 45mph - 50mph.

I would love to see other owners posting packages, hp, and speeds. This was one thing I looked for on this site and pretty much went with the performance test on the yamaha outboard motor website.

Happy with the Toon in Alabam

Mike

Mike,

Congrats on your new Bennington 2574 toon! Hope you will shares some pictures in the gallery of your new beauty.

Great suggestion for forum members to post some performance numbers. This site was fairly new when I was ordering my Bennie so I relied on the Yamaha performance bulletins and the dealer. My dealer was excellent but some in the boating business tend to exaggerate performance a bit. (either out of ignorance or they want to make a sale) When this happens, the new owner can be disappointed.

I know there are many variables that go into performance data. Weight, wind, current, water conditions, and prop to name a few. However, I think it would still give prospective new owners an idea of what they might be able to expect with certain packages. So how bout it members, show us some numbers!

Hi Mike, Congrats on your new boat. I didn't realize you could order the express package without the out side strakes. I have the Yamaha 150 with ESP on my 2275FSi. I am curious how well does your boat plane out with strkes on the inside only. With the ESP my boat jumps out of the hole. It is really quite amazing. It rivals the hole shot on bass boats and tournament ski boats. I beleive that to really take advantage of the performance of the ESP you probably need to have a minimum of 150 hp but not 200 plus. For me overall performance is more important than straight line speed. When I priced out my boat, the differance between the Express package, adding strakes, underdeck wave shield and hydrolic steering was not that much so I went with the ESP. It is really hard to put into words what it's like to drive a boat with ESP.

As far as stright line speed.

2 people full take of gas, bimini up 38 mph

4 people full tank of gas, bimini up 35 mph

Back