Grand Rapids Boat Show

When my dealer has a show ,he puts the plastic that sticks to the flooring on them .

I'm sure that the lack of super bright colors is due to several facts. The biggest is most likely due to the fact that bright colors fade much more rapidly in the harsh, sun-drenched environment that most boats are used in. I am sure that the warranty claims for faded or splotchy upholstery would be tremendous.

Also, while bright colors are in themselves popular for many, few can agree on the combinations that they would want on their boat. It all comes down to economics. Would any of you chose bright orange or red (or substitute any other bright color) upholst or paint if you were told that it would reduce your warranty to only one or two years on those components? I think most likely the answer is no.

On the color combination debate, I have to agree with Tooner, like anything else, you have to go with the numbers.  I chose to go with a more "boring" white-ish interior because it would stay cooler, and would be more functional.  Many of the darker colors had more "sex appeal", but I wasn't choosing living room furniture for my house, I had to make a decision about a boat, open to the elements.

I suppose Bennington (or any manufacturer) could make more colorful options available as an option for an extra cost (since the vinyl would likely cost more to buy/make in the smaller quantities).  I would also think that some of the more vibrant or flamboyant combinations could hurt resale.  Have you ever watched one of those home improvement or house buying shows on HGTV?  Every time the people walk into a house with bright green, orange, purple (or whatever color) rooms, the first thing they want to do is paint it.  Easier to paint a room than re-upholster a whole boat. 

Just like a car ,"IF" maintained properly it should not fade .

I wax my panels a few times a year ,inside and out .

Now that I lease my cars ,I spray wax once a year ,

When I bought I used Mothers 3 phase twice a year with a wheel . Now that was a pain .

There is a strong market trend toward the bold colors.  Obviously the consumer demand is there.  Just reading through this thread suggests that some of you would have chosen a brighter color had it been offered, but instead had to settle for something more........luxurious ;-) .   I don't buy into the color fade suggestion.  Red pigment of any shade (color) is the worst for fade, yet Bennington still offers two exterior colors of Matador Red and Sunset Red.  Interior is Red Diamante accents.  Regardless, I'm with Jack in that with proper care......any color is just fine. 

Additional material costs and paint costs for these colors are almost a mute point when there is more consumer demand.  It all equals out in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my crimson red boat, and was sad to see they discontinued that color.  I got pics of my boat being built and immediately saw the seats didn't have the red contrasting strip that we clearly ordered.  The dealer said he'd take $500 off to make it up to me -- I insisted on the seats that I ordered.  We have a bunch of red gear for the boat, and even use red dock lines.  The dock lines have faded, but everything on the boat looks great 2 years in, even the biminis and mooring cover.

At last year's local boat show our dealer brought the blandest interiors I've ever seen, where every other pontoon dealer had at least one awesome showy boat.  Gotta have at least some bling!    

Now when I ordered my 2016 in July, my dealer said I could still order the Crimson even though it was discontinued.  He said it was no problem getting it then.  Now might be a different story.

Black boats go the fastest...

I'll pass on the yellow .

Still taking me a minute...

Urine

Pee

Banana

Minion

Back