Hat tip to Manitou (BRP) for innovation

JLM007

Reaction score
I was recently visiting For Myers Beach, FL and noticed came across a dealer with a bunch of Manitou Explore models for sale. At first, the unique design of the exterior caught my eye but as I got closer the flat swim deck stood out even more. At first I thought they just hadn't rigged the outboard yet but upon further inspection I saw a Rotax motor beneath the flush swim deck. Has anyone seen these in the wild yet? Only time will tell if these motors will hold up but couldn't help but think a lot of manufactures (hopefully Bennington) will follow suit with such an innovation. I love the functionality of the pontoon layout and to see that finally extended to the stern with a full swim deck seems like a homerun. Also, I like what they did with the stern seating - perfect marriage of quad-bench and swingback. If Bennington comes out with a similar design I'm in!

1705695264064.png
1705695327591.png

That motor was BRP's "Ghost Project" ( max HP 150 ) when they stopped making Evinrude in 2020 . BRP also owns manitou ,which if I am not mistaken is the only manufacture that utilizes that motor and design .

This boat has innovation that extends beyond the motor. Unfortunately the motor will sink the boat in the marketplace. The vulnerable motor cover is below the waterline. Under the cover the motor design has a good track record but 2-strokes are not accepted in the market place. The motor demonstrates lack of experience. Unlike the Q series the sculpted body panels extend from stem to stern. Unfortunately the panels lack style. The interior has innovation and function but lacks style, texture and color. This boat lacks the art and style of a Bennington. Most buyer will chose form over function.

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 32
Almost like an I/O tucked under a swim deck! Cool design but Manitou should have completely covered the motor in my opinion! For various reasons! Also that couple wouldn't be able to utilize those rear facing seats while underway!

I think any 2 stroke submerged halfway in water will need to prove its durability over many years before I would consider it. I’m just hoping there is another way Bennington can replicate a full, flat rear swim deck. And Kahuna, those rear facing seats flip forward (similar to a swing back bench) so can be used while underway with those seated in them facing forward/in the playpen. Another cool build on the boat is the pop up table with seating on either side. Seems like an easy one to replicate. No port side door would be my biggest knock on the overall design though. I understand what they were trying to accomplish in maximizing seating but I can’t envision owning a pontoon without one.

I think it’s a neat idea. Like you said, that extended aft deck is awesome. I read up on them a decent amount when they were testing them out, but never saw it live.

The submerged motor has some real world vulnerability concerns, you then combine that with 2 stroke motor in an increasingly non-2 stroke era, and finally maintenance access issues that make it less practical than any standard outboard.

The other hang up is its a BRP to Manitous design (same parent company). Because you have those two companies under the same umbrella, they can experiment in some unique design ways. For anyone else to do something like that, you’d need to have a collaboration between an independent boat motor manufacturer, and the actual boat manufacturer - requiring a lot of trust and commitment of capital to invest in the design, trial/testing, and potential manufacturing. I think its unlikely to see such a partnership on experimental and market risky niche designs given sales of more standardized a universal designs.

Last edited:
Back