Have a chance to buy a waterfront lot.......

BigKahuna

Reaction score
From Mark Link.........

BigKahuna, I know you are fairly recent at Lake, would you but waterfront lot and then build new?

We have a couple options Mark........

We can buy it as investment property. Sit on it for a bit improve the existing dock and keep our boat in it. Waterfront lot prices are crazy on this lake..........

Or.........knowing my wife we would buy the lot, sell our existing home and build new...........

Hey BK, well I checked my lottery tickets when we got back... and the next week... and the next week. Sorry to say, it looks like we may not be neighbors for a while. l do not envy your position, can you clean the up the existing structure and do a VRBO/AirBnB, I bet you'd have a lot of customers just from this site. I'll take July 4, 2018. Otherwise, I'd go with your wife's plan. That is a sweet spot, and pay no attention to that guy on the other side of the lake. :D

Waterfront lot prices are crazy on this lake..........

I'm finding as we search for a lakefront property, this applies to them all.
We want lake front, go from your back door to dock so we're looking.

The saying I learned on this forum and always cracks me up is "Buy Once, Cry Once."
This only applies if it makes sense to your budget of course.

Hey BK, well I checked my lottery tickets when we got back... and the next week... and the next week. Sorry to say, it looks like we may not be neighbors for a while. l do not envy your position, can you clean the up the existing structure and do a VRBO/AirBnB, I bet you'd have a lot of customers just from this site. I'll take July 4, 2018. Otherwise, I'd go with your wife's plan. That is a sweet spot, and pay no attention to that guy on the other side of the lake. :D

You're right Matt it's a sweet lot/spot. The only thing we would do with the structure is remove it! Ha! Keep buying those lottery tickets!

My neighbor/seller is back from taking care of an ill family member in Charleston so we'll be getting down to some serious negotiations. There is still some information we have to find out before making an offer.........How many BR's the lot perks for.........Can the existing dock be improved........What trees can be removed.......Condition of existing well/septic.

Sometimes we wonder if moving a hundred yards from where we are now will be worth it.

Would you want to go back to trailering if it sold? Don't assume you'll always have a dock to tie up to.

I hope he's not referring to me, We are on the southwest side and love it here. As LL said, there's nothing like waterfront. And free irrigation water. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Carl, I was. Daril, we'll be down for the housewarming.

Would you want to go back to trailering if it sold? Don't assume you'll always have a dock to tie up to.
My neighbor has 2 docks. One on her lot and one on this one. I can move to the one directly behind her house that is directly in front if mine if I have to. I could go back to trailering. There is a county/state facility just a few miles away with 4 free ramps.......

Now if she sells that house........

Last edited:
I hope he's not referring to me, We are on the southeast side and love it here. As LL said, there's nothing like waterfront. And free irrigation water. :rolleyes:

Thought about that irrigation water instead of having to depend on the capacity of the well.

I think Matt must be referring to you jokingly telling everybody at the lunch that we all live on the "wrong" side of the lake. Ha! You guys are southwest right?

Thought about that irrigation water instead of having to depend on the capacity of the well.

I think Matt must be referring to you jokingly telling everybody at the lunch that we all live on the "wrong" side of the lake. Ha! You guys are southwest right?
I just changed it. I always think east since we are in East Lincoln County.

Indeed I was.

How much frontage does the lot have?
Any pictures of what we're helping you buy?

All kidding aside, building a house is a big undertaking. Are there any already built lakefront homes to look at?
I would definitely want lakefront so if building is the only option, I would seriously consider it if it doesn't put too big a crimp in the lifestyle to which you've become accustomed to, lol.

As any realtor will tell you, Location, Location Location

Probably a tough call in your situation as you have a great place now. All I can say is being lakefront now with our cottage is heavenly. There is nothing like being right on the water.

How much frontage does the lot have?
Any pictures of what we're helping you buy?

All kidding aside, building a house is a big undertaking. Are there any already built lakefront homes to look at?
I would definitely want lakefront so if building is the only option, I would seriously consider it if it doesn't put too big a crimp in the lifestyle to which you've become accustomed to, lol.

As any realtor will tell you, Location, Location Location

189 feet of frontage. There are a lot of already built waterfront homes but......We have built 3 homes so if we decide to do this I can see a 4th coming. We'll see what happens. We love the location, location, location!

189 feet of frontage. There are a lot of already built waterfront homes but......We have built 3 homes so if we decide to do this I can see a 4th coming. We'll see what happens. We love the location, location, location!
Wrong side of the lake. :rolleyes:

As for your plight. You could stay in your current home tear down what you intend to, they, build a killer garage with a loft. Store all your stuff in the garage and live in the loft until you build the house. Then, when all is said and don you have an awesome mancave and a new home.

Any negotiations or decisions yet?
Enquiring minds want to know!

As a matter of fact there is an update........

All of the sisters that inherited the property were here for Thanksgiving. Apparently the one sister that lives in the home across from us was giving us inaccurate info. We were told that the lot was going to be sold in the $375000-$390000 range. A real estate agent was not going to be used. No commission was going to be paid out. One sister is a real estate attorney and she was to draw up all the necessary paperwork for this transaction.

Well, we found out over Thanksgiving that the oldest sister is the Executor of their Mothers estate and she is running the show. The list price of the lot is $450000 and she decided to list it with a real estate company that has done business with her family in the past. We were told that we still have first crack at it but the parameters have drastically changed......

Stay tuned.......

Back