Hello from a newbie

Tooner

Reaction score
Just want to say hello. We took delivery of our 2016 Benny 21 SLX last week of August. Went with a Yamaha 150, SPS package, extended aft deck, and a bunch of other items. Keeping the boat on the St. Johns River in a covered slip. We love it on that River and all the places that it opens up for us. We are new to boat ownership, although quite familiar with boats and most things with a motor. I have been getting a lot of great info from the forums, and plan to lurk around and get even more. Like I said, just wanted to say "Hello"!

Welcome to the forum and to new boat ownership. Congrats! We like pics by the way.    :p

Congrats and welcome! I want to go to the St Johns. It looks beautiful from Google Earth.

It is a very beautiful and natural river. One of not many that flow north. Very "lazy" river, meaning current is very slow since total length of 310 miles has only elevation change of 30 feet (yup, it's Florida!). We can navigate all the way from Lake Monroe in Sanford, to Jacksonville and the Intracoastal.

Lot's of scenic beauty, great fishing, manatees, birds and Aligators. Many peaceful places to get lost, etc, etc. can you tell we love the place?

As for pics, you'll have to wait a while since all of my pics exceed the 500kb limit, and I don't have time right now to reduce them or put them up into Photobucket.

You definitely make it even more of a necessity to travel over to that destination. 

What gets me about the fresh water in Florida is the dark amber color. We took an air boat ride on lake Monroe and I remember it being dark. I can't remember the plant that stains the water. You sure have a lot of water to navigate there!!

The brown color is due to a lot of peat staining the water, and also from other vegetation. It makes tannic acid, which is what makes the brown color. When on the river, our almost 5 year old Granddaughter says it looks the the boat is "making coffee".

I read an earlier post of yours (2013 maybe?) in which you mentioned moving down from MI. Did you pull that trigger? We are from CT, have wintered down here since '08, and then bought a bigger house in the area we wanted to live. Sold the business, retired, and live here full time since August.

If you put your pics in your gallery, it won't matter what size they are.

The brown color is due to a lot of peat staining the water, and also from other vegetation. It makes tannic acid, which is what makes the brown color. When on the river, our almost 5 year old Granddaughter says it looks the the boat is "making coffee".

I read an earlier post of yours (2013 maybe?) in which you mentioned moving down from MI. Did you pull that trigger? We are from CT, have wintered down here since '08, and then bought a bigger house in the area we wanted to live. Sold the business, retired, and live here full time since August.
Still in MI. Always looking for a position similar to mine but nothing yet. We really like Tavares on the Harris chain of lakes. That is our target area. If my wife had it her way we would just move now and worry about work when we get there! She hates the cold.

Back