Helm Accessories No Power, Gauges Work, Boat Starts and Tuns

echorley

Reaction score
Hello!
2008 Bennington. Starting the boat and headed out to a sandbar. Accessories (GPS/radio) worked as normal. When we parked, our dog crawled under the helm and them came back out. Didn’t think much of it. Then I went to use the 12V to plug in my phone, and it wasn’t working. When we went to leave, I flipped the main power switch (the one all the way to the right) and neither the GPS, nor the radio would turn on. Flipped on all the lights, nothing. No horn either. Boat starts, runs and the gauges work. I tried the breaker buttons beneath the switches and nothing. Looked beneath the helm hoping our dog knocked something loose, but I didn’t see anything obvious. Checked the battery connections and they are solid.

Any advice would be great on next steps to troubleshoot.

Mine has a console master switch right beneath the ignition keyhole. Is it possible you or your pup switched it off (if yours has one)?

I have had connections come loose in the past . I had to crawl under and check the connections. More than what wasn't working ( simrad ) was loose.

Check your in line fuses also .

SOLVED. Ended up being the 30A breaker on the battery. It has the manual reset, but apparently that didn’t work. Strange because I replaced that breaker last summer. Popped a new one on and everything is working.
Must have been just bad timing and a coincidence on the dog getting under the helm during the same trip in which you have this issue. I guess someone is “out of the dog house” on this one. :p

Glad you were able to trace the problem back and it turned out to be simple.

Back