Helm cracks

Magician

Reaction score
Not certain if this is the correct place for this post but here goes. After the rough seas the boat went thru Fathers Day weekend we are now seeing cracks around top edge of the helm station. The pictures show most of them. I’m thinking this will be a warranty claim but possibly not one they will fix?

Anyone else have this issue? Ideas if Bennington decides not make repairs?

Attachments

• 1CBC040F-5741-4E31-876D-70D53EE679F7.jpeg
    1CBC040F-5741-4E31-876D-70D53EE679F7.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 2A470616-04FA-4621-9EDD-E1FE83AAEFC2.jpeg
    2A470616-04FA-4621-9EDD-E1FE83AAEFC2.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 385E6325-D4A3-45CF-9A63-30E7FAEC64F9.jpeg
    385E6325-D4A3-45CF-9A63-30E7FAEC64F9.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 150
That’s a first seeing that on here!

Haven't seen that either. I've been in some very rough water and I can't imagine how even significant hull slap would crack the helm in that manner. A lot of other things will be breaking well before the fiberglass starts cracking like this - almost looks like it was sat on by a gorilla.

I don't even know how Bennington will begin to evaluate this, but good luck and hope it gets repaired!

Wow! Must have been some rough water to cause that! Where do you boat? That shouldn't have happened. Bennington should fix that!

Update: Dealer says the cracks are covered by Bennington and the entire raised helm station will be replaced beginning sometime in the fall. Looks like I’m getting right front fence and siding now as well as the helm station replaced. One quarter new boat. Gotta love the warranty on this boat!

Update: Dealer says the cracks are covered by Bennington and the entire raised helm station will be replaced beginning sometime in the fall. Looks like I’m getting right front fence and siding now as well as the helm station replaced. One quarter new boat. Gotta love the warranty on this boat!
Good for you. We might have to pay a premium for these boats but they provide premium customer service and a premium warranty. Well worth it in my book.

Doesn’t that pump you with confidence.

Even with the extra shipping costs and big disadvantage in currency conversion I chose to purchase a Bennington over an Australian made boat.

WARRANTY - WARRANTY. And standing by it.

Last edited:
I’m waiting until the end of the season to get them the boat but warranty guy has the photos of my raised helm and will get started ASAP he said so when the new station is in we can start looking at when we can get things going. Not sure how I’ll act with 1/4 of my boat brand new?

Update, I dropped the boat off at the dealership for the helm station replacement. I removed the amps and pulled some of the sound system wiring out to help. I’ll post up a final when I get it back home.

Update, I dropped the boat off at the dealership for the helm station replacement. I removed the amps and pulled some of the sound system wiring out to help. I’ll post up a final when I get it back home.
Excellent news. Glad Bennington is taking care of this for you (as they should). As a engineer by trade, I'd be curious to see what the root cause of this issue is. I boat with my Benny on the great lakes and have seen some rough water in my days, and have never seen cracks like this. Even with offshore center consoles, I haven't seen spider cracks or other issues in my fiberglass or gelcoat boats
Todd

Helm station was replaced with no issues now the boat is off to have all three toons pressure tested and any leaks fixed. Since the rough weather the boat has had a pretty good lean to the starboard side and I’m constantly hearing water sloshing around when it’s on the trailer. Once this all tightened up it will be time to put her away for the cold months and start putting together a newer and better all WetSounds sound system running off of a two battery house set up. More to come on that.

This warranty is second to none in the boating industry…

Back