Helm Storage Compartment Solution

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I got a great idea from someone on one of the Facebook Bennington forums a couple weeks ago for an easy, convenient and inexpensive helm storage space. Perfect for phones, wallets, remotes, anything small you want kept dry and out of the sun. Basically a substitute glovebox for your boat. I implemented it this weekend and it works great!

Materials: x1 small YETI storage pouch ($49.99) and x2 Taylor Made fender clips ($4/clip). Under $70 total.

Clips in securely right near the throttle at the helm. The Yeti pouch is water proof, comes in about 3 different color combinations, and has both a magnetic seal, as well as Velcro flap to keep it water tight (see pics). Since it is not permanent, you could repurpose, reuse, move it elsewhere on your boat, etc...

A1137CE2-8C13-4B4A-9728-82FD55A592C0.jpeg

F38FCCBB-2035-4286-A96B-6C04A9CAA315.jpeg

5CD0C155-923A-40B0-A5BC-8C6852D9CA22.jpeg

BDF46AD5-F252-4ACF-B198-868AB47BD04B.jpeg

BE48FE6D-CBDF-4043-8FFF-4C52A2E8CE0C.jpeg

593D5FEF-AFAA-481D-9431-71325F8A88E1.jpeg

That's a great idea! I could see that on the bow gate on our boat. Let the guests use it at will (without bothering me for their stuff)!

Very clever.

Awesome suggestion. My 2021 has terrible storage near the helm in my opinion. I’ll be looking into this over winter.

Took #Vikingstaff's idea and put a small twist on it. I just wanted the bag to sit flush and a little lower.
Use the velcro mounting straps on the back of the bag and mounted some receiving velcro to the boat...holds like a charm!
Also thought it was a great place for a magnetic bottle opener w/a black aluminum plate behind as a mount point
Thanks to Vikingstaff for the great idea!

IMG_6285.jpg

Last edited:
Took #Vikingstaff's idea and put a small twist on it. I just wanted the bag to sit flush and a little lower.
Use the velcro mounting straps on the back of the bag and mounted some receiving velcro to the boat...holds like a charm!
Also thought it was a great place for a magnetic bottle opener w/ black aluminum plate behind as a mount point
Thanks to Vikingstaff for the great idea!
Hmmmm….I think I need to use your Velcro strips/straps idea and remount mine. I really like how yours is lower, and more flush, than mine using the velcro straps and Taylor Made Clips. Great stuff!!!

Hmmmm….I think I need to use your Velcro strips/straps idea and remount mine. I really like how yours is lower, and more flush, than mine using the velcro straps and Taylor Made Clips. Great stuff!!!
Jeff,
I thought I was going with your install the whole way until I tried it. That little back has such a strong velcro/magnetic closure that it needs to be fully attached from top to bottom so you can pull on it without it flipping up.
I just cut off the extra velcro straps on the back to give it a clean surface so it lays flush.
Glad you like it

And yet another variation on where/how to mount it. I think I'm going to like this location because it is out of the sun and easily accessible by me and anyone else on board. I used the heavy duty (10 lb) Velcro strips from Home Depot. Cleaned the surface with alcohol first so I hope the part of the Velcro that is stuck to the boat stays stuck.

Yeti Sidekick.jpg

Last edited:
I used a couple scrap pieces of lexan to suspend the Yeti from the fender clips with tie-wraps. Sits below top of rail and no velcro stuck to side panel.
20200630_121253.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder, could you use some strong magnets (inside the bag and the respective polarity inside the helm) and they'd be strong enough to engage each other through the fiberglass? Heck, if it worked you could mount it where you want and permanently mount the magnets under the helm with some PL, and sew the ones in the bag. The exterior surface of the helm would look untouched, but you could walk up and just toss the bag to the helm like a boss and it'd latch on!

Thanks for sharing. While I like all the great ideas for storage, I do wonder why they don’t design a better glove box. My 2018 22GSR glove box somehow accumulates water and has room for about 2 iPhones.

Wonder, could you use some strong magnets (inside the bag and the respective polarity inside the helm) and they'd be strong enough to engage each other through the fiberglass? Heck, if it worked you could mount it where you want and permanently mount the magnets under the helm with some PL, and sew the ones in the bag. The exterior surface of the helm would look untouched, but you could walk up and just toss the bag to the helm like a boss and it'd latch on!
I like this idea…. I’m going to look into this. Those neo magnets are stupid strong.

I got a great idea from someone on one of the Facebook Bennington forums a couple weeks ago for an easy, convenient and inexpensive helm storage space. Perfect for phones, wallets,
Thanks for posting this . Those Yeti sidekicks are no longer for sale via Yeti so check out EBay or Mercari(got mine there).

remotes, anything small you want kept dry and out of the sun. Basically a substitute glovebox for your boat. I implemented it this weekend and it works great!

Materials: x1 small YETI storage pouch ($49.99) and x2 Taylor Made fender clips ($4/clip). Under $70 total.

Clips in securely right near the throttle at the helm. The Yeti pouch is water proof, comes in about 3 different color combinations, and has both a magnetic seal, as well as Velcro flap to keep it water tight (see pics). Since it is not permanent, you could repurpose, reuse, move it elsewhere on your boat, etc...

View attachment 26911

View attachment 26913

View attachment 26912

View attachment 26914

View attachment 26915

View attachment 26910

I got a great idea from someone on one of the Facebook Bennington forums a couple weeks ago for an easy, convenient and inexpensive helm storage space. Perfect for phones, wallets, remotes, anything small you want kept dry and out of the sun. Basically a substitute glovebox for your boat. I implemented it this weekend and it works great!

View attachment 26911

View attachment 26913

View attachment 26912

View attachment 26914

View attachment 26915

View attachment 26910
I just installed this. Great idea, thanks!

Back