Help choosing the right pontoon for rough water

PTC

Reaction score
I am shopping for a pontoon that would be used on a large lake (Mille Lacs). I would be using it just for cruising. Usually with 4-6 people, but often enough with 10-12. I have another boat for fishing and for water sports, so this would never be used to pull a tube. Maybe occasionally fishing. But mainly pleasure boating.

The lake has rough water most of the time. So I would live input from folks with experience on Mille Lacs, Leech, Winni, Great Lakes, Oshkosh or Lk St. Claire. 

How long should the pontoons be to have a reasonable ride on rough water. 3 pontoons, 2 elliptical, or 2 25".

Wave Shield?

Motor that will push the boat a 20mph or better when carrying max load.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks! 

Welcome PTC! For your application I'm thinking twin elliptical with underdeck wave shield and the rough water package. Those toons will keep you and your guests high and dry. Motor wise I wouldn't go less than a 115 based on the numbers your looking for.

Lakeliving and dasalmon, are either of your running your boat on big water. My home lake is 12-15 miles across in any direction.

Thanks so much for your help.

Lakeliving. I am looking closely at the sslx. With your old boat and the 115, if you had 10 people on board, what speed could you run at?

We're not on big water where I am at. We never had 10 on board. Most we had was 6 and I want to say 22ish was the speed. I can't really remember. I know speed drops off pretty quick but that is expected with the 115. That is one of the reasons we sold it. The pontoon is our only boat so we needed one that ran faster. We love the sslx layout. Works perfectly for our needs. The wife and I always find ourselves in the rear lounger sitting there and floating around.

Ditto on the ellipticals.  115 HP should get you in the low 20s mph with a full boat, but not much more.

I had a 115 on our 24SSL with the Express Package, but then upgraded to the 150.  With the 150HP, I get 42 mph with a light boat, and I am still able to get 39 mph with a nearly full boat (9 teenagers, but also got the same 39 mph with around 7 large men).

The 150 is a big jump up from the 115.

I'd also recommend a Spit Fire prop too (Mercury) if you go 115.

When pulling a tube with the 115HP, I would only get about 15-16 mph in a turn with 6 adults on board.  Barely over 20 mph in a straight line with that load.

The 115HP bogs down quickly with extra passengers.  The 150HP holds the speed well under weight.  Not sure why that is exactly, but that's my experience, and have heard similar results from others here.

Good luck!

PS - We love the double lounger on the SSL as well.  We had 6 adults crammed in it for a picture one time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcomt ot the family and one thing I would think about. If you're out on a big lake like the ones you mentioned, and a storm comes up on you, I would rather be doing 40 to get to shore and not 20. Just because you don't think you'll need more HP doesn't mean you won't. Just my $.02

Mine is older (2005) and I don't have elliptical toons however it's a triple and it's in its element in rough water.  I have had it briefly in Lake Huron and last summer had it on Torch Lake in northern Michigan which is the longest inland lake in the state at I believe 19 miles?  Even in rough water/winds it glides effortlessly with 6 adults.  No one got wet, even with the wind (lifting strakes on all pontoons plus under deck wave shield).  I have the I/O 280HP.  Agree with Carl on the extra HP to get out of storms in a hurry which is one reason I got a faster boat this time around.

I would definitely go with a tri toon if you are thinking of rough waters and that many people on board. I would also say a 150. Could you getaway with a 115 twin elliptical? Possibly.  But the way a tri toon will handle in the big ones is not even comparable with a 2 toon.

I'm with Derrick,

I did my first ESP demo on the bay outside of Sandusky Ohio in 3 footers. Our lake is a shallow one and it gets choppy with heavy wind, enough to scare the bass boats off.

ESP and wave shielding.

Also, that many people, HP is always an addition to safety.

I was trying to offer suggestions based on his wish list. I don't think you have to have ESP, huge hp to be safe in rougher waters. Check the weather before you go out, plan ahead and boat responsibly. Based on stories here with hapehour and copper line I know they love the ellipticals. Just my $.02 though.

Welcome PTC,  I toon on Mile Lacs, White fish chain, Gull and Minnatonka. I currenly have a 20ft twin toon and looking at switching to a 22 tritoon with a 150. So my opinon is tritoon all the way, they seem to cut the waves better and have less slaming...

I give up!

This is very helpful info! I really appreciate it. Any other options that you think are worthwhile?

The horsepower is very important in big water.  You need to keep above the troughs as much as possible.  Also if running too slow downwind the driver gets soaked from the spray and can hardly see to drive.  Been there many times.  Went from a 40hp to a 90hp to a 135hp for Canada fishing on a 2 toon.  Last year there was a day I would not have gone out if not for the bigger motor.  Now I need a splash shield to stop the water from hammering the cross struts.  

PTC,

Posted earlier on the Pontoon forum regarding this. Mille Lacs is a huge body of water in Minnesota and it can become very ominous when the wind and weather kicks up. I had a smaller (2275 twin tube) on the Whitefish (smaller lake than Mille Lacs) and most of the time it was just fine... until wind and weather would kick up and I'm ten miles from my dock. That's where the 25 footer and bigger HP come in real nice. I happen to be a fan of the ESP. Now with many of the Benningtons being built this year with the extended bow, front spray in those windy conditions should also be minimized.

I was trying to offer suggestions based on his wish list. I don't think you have to have ESP, huge hp to be safe in rougher waters. Check the weather before you go out, plan ahead and boat responsibly. Based on stories here with hapehour and copper line I know they love the ellipticals. Just my $.02 though.

So was I. I was stating that in my experience in a small lake with smaller waves, my 2075GLi with a 90hp and two 25" tubes, does not handle anywhere near as good as my ESP, or any tritoon for that matter. Simple fact being that with only 2 tubes, the boat has to follow the swell and trough completely,  whereas with the tritoon, it is not nearly as pronounced. Granted, the twin ellips, will give you the added buoyancy to handle the passengers, but it does nothing in adding a center pivoting point. Plus, an ESP does still add even more buoyancy than twin ellipticals. As for motor, with the ESP it is a 150 minimum, but more so, I think it is better suited to being able to still move all those people. I have a 250 and with 9 people (7 adults 2 kids) was still able to do 39 on a calm day. A 150 on SPS and that many people will drop that quite a bit I would think. Also if on a larger body of water, if it does turn sour out there, it could be pretty rough by the time he actually makes it to home dock, the 150 will get him there. Totally just my random, un-knowledgeable opinion. Most of you guys have put way more hours on your boats in 2 weeks than I have accumulated in 3 boats! :)

Don't make me Gee out here! Just kidding. I'm no boating expert by any means but I think it is pretty sad if a family can't get a pontoon for cruising and relax unless they spend $40K+. I know their boating environment does play a big part in that though. I wouldn't take my dune buggy to drive on the moon, obviously I would need a moon buggy. So to recap for PTC the majority feels you need a tri-toon with at least 150hp. Good luck with your pontoon purchase and hopefully we see you around soon sharing a Bennington purchase story.

Don't make me Gee out here! Just kidding. I'm no boating expert by any means but I think it is pretty sad if a family can't get a pontoon for cruising and relax unless they spend $40K+. I know their boating environment does play a big part in that though. I wouldn't take my dune buggy to drive on the moon, obviously I would need a moon buggy. So to recap for PTC the majority feels you need a tri-toon with at least 150hp. Good luck with your pontoon purchase and hopefully we see you around soon sharing a Bennington purchase story.
Haha, dune buggy, moon buggy, you cracks me up Andy!!

I posted in your thread in the main forum at the top.  My only additional comment would be buy what you can afford now instead of ending up like so many members here who are on their second or third boat in as many years.   :)

Back