HELP ! Need to replace carpet with best material suggested for Pontoon

RickyFos

Reaction score
What is soft, pliable, not so hot for feet, skid resistance flooring material suggested to replace.
10 year old Pontoon Carpet gets very dirty unable to clean anymore.

Hi Ricky! I’d google Sea Grass vinyl flooring. A number of options pop up for boats. Replacing the carpet with something like that will instantly update your Benny and provide you with a pretty nice floor. Good luck!

Local marine dealers should be able to offer a vast selection of non carpet flooring options. This has become a popular aftermarket item.

The challenge is the carpet is glued to the decking. My dealer said it is very difficult to remove the glue. If you sand it it melts and clogs the sanding disks. If you leave it what you put over it will show the lack of a flat surface.

Switching is a JOB. Remove all deck furniture and helm. Strip carpet off. Sand off all glues…colder weather a bit better for doing that per issue noted above. Then put down glue and new flooring. Then reassemble furniture, helm, etc… I’ve read many write ups on doing the job. Not one I would do. However, when done right, it comes out looking like a new boat. To me it seems like something to do if you also have to replace furniture since you are taking everything above deck apart to get at it all when doing the job well.

What about going over the glue residue with 1/8” luan or something?

What is soft, pliable, not so hot for feet, skid resistance flooring material suggested to replace.
10 year old Pontoon Carpet gets very dirty unable to clean anymore.
Welcome! Sounds like a good enough reason to upgrade to a new Bennington. Good Luck!

I relaced the carpet on my 2001 Benny with vinyl in 2013. It was a big job. Had to get the boat off the trailer onto some cribbing so I had access to the bolts underneath the deck. Had lots of challenges with rusty hardware. As mentioned above, EVERYTHING has to come off the boat. I was lucky that my plywood deck had zero rot and the old carpet came off pretty cleanly. I spent a couple of hours with a random orbital sander and a stack of 80 grit disks.

Biggest tip: Don't cut or disconnect all the wiring and the steering and throttle cables inside the console. Just cut the zip ties to give yourself some slack and unbolt the console. Then lay it over on its side and rest it on something next to the boat. In my case, my rolling county issued garbage can was the perfect height. Cut a slit and a small hole in the vinyl to go around the wires and cables coming up through the deck. The slit will be covered by the side trim when you put it all back together.

What I did last year was take our carpet cleaner and a generator to the lake. We boated and did not cover the boat. It rained that night. We went to the boat in the early morning and used the carpet cleaner. Having the carpet soaking wet was great. Boat carpet is designed to absorbed water. That is why pressure washers don't work well on boat carpet, not enough volume of water. We pulled out 13 years of dirt from the carpet. The carpet had an embossed pattern that we did not know was in it. It does not look new but it looks so much better. With the new upholstery, the boat looks really nice. I went on build a boat last month and saw that I had spent a chunk of change but saved $165000 required to replace the boat.

Back