Help.

Janice7375

Reaction score
We got pinesap on our backseat of our Bennington boat, one of the boat dealers said to use goo gone. We did and this is what happened. Any help at all to fix this problem besides getting new seats. I am soooo upset. The boat is only 2 years okd

Welcome! Janice7375 I just googled how to remove pinesap there are many good ideas.

Last edited:
We got pinesap on our backseat of our Bennington boat, one of the boat dealers said to use goo gone. We did and this is what happened. Any help at all to fix this problem besides getting new seats. I am soooo upset. The boat is only 2 years okd

So you have a picture? Did the Goo gone (which I wouldn’t think would be a good idea at all on the seats…certainly not part of the Semtex fabric care directions) work? Did it make it worse or leave a different issue in its wake? Did you try the recommended seat cleaning procedures first before trying the dealers goo gone idea?

Another member had a sap/leaf decay stain a year or two ago, and struggled to get it out. I am not sure if they did or not. I don’t remember hearing back on how it went.

I’m sorry for some reason the pictures didn’t post. No it made it 100 times worse. But I guess we are going to try baking soda and vinger to get the oil out. My main concern now is the discoloration of the fabric not so much the pine sapIMG_4917.jpegIMG_4918.jpegIMG_4919.jpeg

I can't imagine ever totally ridding of pinesap. Sorry that happened, and good luck.

Standard goo gone has more issues than citrus oil.

1720561548183.png

Well, on the positive side it shouldn’t be too expensive to have those two areas redone if that ends up being necessary.

I'm with Sharkwood. Keep cleaning it with Dawn dishwashing liquid, water and clean towels. Don't give up! Keep at it! You can get it out! Have faith! Keep us posted!

Not to take advantage of the situation, but if your dealer recommended the Goo Gone, they may be encouraged to walk this through on warranty for you if it doesn't clean up.

Unfortunately it wasn’t the Bennington dealer that instructed us to use that, it was just a regular local boat dealer I should have known better. Hoping for the best once all the storms roll thru to try and scrub with dawn dish soap.

Not to take advantage of the situation, but if your dealer recommended the Goo Gone, they may be encouraged to walk this through on warranty for you if it doesn't clean up.
Yeah, I would imagine it wouldn’t be a warranty/Bennington issue. I think it would be a dealership issue as it was their advice and not in line with fabric care guidelines.

I am astonished a dealership gave goo gone as advice on cleanup of Semtex seating. Mind boggling! But, as the OP mentioned in their follow up, it was a non-Bennington local dealership. So they are perhaps not too vested in the situation and/or not very knowledgeable about the seating material. It’s a shame their advice caused a bigger issue for this owner. The pine sap was a bad enough issue. Feel badly for them.

All that said, I too agree with sticking with trying to wipe out over time with the dawn dish soap technique. Hopefully it can pull the chemicals out over time.

Last edited:
You're welcome . Good Luck

I use the dawn soap and a electric toothbrush on stains at home and I don't think ive ever lost the battle with a stain. The gazillion brushes a minute makes a big differance. I've used the brush on simtex with no damage. Good luck

I use the dawn soap and an electric toothbrush on stains at home and I don't think ive ever lost the battle with a stain. The gazillion brushes a minute makes a big differance. I've used the brush on simtex with no damage. Good luck
That’s a great idea for stains! Thanks for sharing.

Back